Author Topic: Grinding sound  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Zuul99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
Grinding sound
« on: October 17, 2010, 05:24:34 PM »
I'm semi-puzzled, my rifle began to make a grinding/whirring sound i think i have located the area of the problem and its either the bevel gear or the pinion gear.But it really sounds like the motor is spinning just above the bevel gear. Neither gear is stripped or show any signs visible damage. i tried adjusting the motor height but that didn't help. BTW its an CA M15A4 sportline, (modified, buts that is for another day)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
My apartment is infested with koala bears. Its the cutest infestation ever. Much better than cockroaches. I turn the lights on and a bunch of koala bears scatter. I\'m like, come back! I want to hold one of you, and feed you a leaf. -Mitch Headberg

Offline Crono0001

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://jagxops.com
Re: Grinding sound
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
You check your motor height adjustment?

Offline stealthmaster14

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »
Are you sure the motor height adjustment screw is actually moving the motor up and down? It could be stripped.  Or the motor wires aren't installed correctly.  (so the motor can't spring up and down)

Shimming is also a possibility.

Offline Zuul99

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:03:43 PM »
the motor adjustment plate is not stripped, and i spent good 3hrs trying to get a perfect shim, my next thought is to try a different bevel gear and see what happens. but i do like the idea of moving the wires around because i think the motor could be at a slight angle
My apartment is infested with koala bears. Its the cutest infestation ever. Much better than cockroaches. I turn the lights on and a bunch of koala bears scatter. I\'m like, come back! I want to hold one of you, and feed you a leaf. -Mitch Headberg

Offline MLA PRO

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:17:43 PM »
Might be a dumb question, but does the gun still fire? Like does it shoot but with that strange sound?

Offline Zuul99

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 10:02:07 PM »
Quote from: "MLA PRO"
Might be a dumb question, but does the gun still fire? Like does it shoot but with that strange sound?

It did it was in the middle of a fire fight, and while on full auto the sound became louder and than no firing and a GRRRRRRR!!!!! at home i played with it got it to fire one shot than it turned choppy(i mean by constantly pulling the trigger on semi to fully cycle). Than said "I'm tired I'll do this tomorrow, than played Xbox.

Offline Crono0001

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://jagxops.com
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:11:19 AM »
Quote from: "Zuul99"
Quote from: "MLA PRO"

It did it was in the middle of a fire fight, and while on full auto the sound became louder and than no firing and a GRRRRRRR!!!!! at home i played with it got it to fire one shot than it turned choppy(i mean by constantly pulling the trigger on semi to fully cycle). Than said "I'm tired I'll do this tomorrow, than played Xbox.

That sounds exactly like a motor height adjustment screw coming loose
Locktite

Offline SGT. DANGLE

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://steelworksairsoft.com/board/index.php
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »
I suggest taking the motor plate off the pistol grip, taking the motor out and checking to make sure everything looks like it's supposed to.
-[size=150]Sergeant B.A. Dangle[/size]-

[size=150]Come visit [/size] [size=150]and join in on the action![/size]

Offline Zuul99

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »
and what exactly should i be looking for?

Offline SGT. DANGLE

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://steelworksairsoft.com/board/index.php
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:30:28 PM »
Quote from: "Zuul99"
and what exactly should i be looking for?

Anything that doesn't look how it's supposed to look...? It's all very self-explanatory.
-[size=150]Sergeant B.A. Dangle[/size]-

[size=150]Come visit [/size] [size=150]and join in on the action![/size]

Offline Zuul99

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »
so i looked and there appears to be nothing wrong. I have a MAGPUL grip and my new theory is that the MAGPUL grip is a little wide so what if the motor got slightly angled and that's why the pinion gear spinning above the bevel gear. How does that sound?

Offline uwanaugoda

• Corporal
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/uwanaugoda
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 11:57:59 AM »
Same thing happened to my AUG the piston cracked in half so it would still "cycle" and shoot every little bit but the biggest thing was the grinding sound just like you explained.

Offline I Slap Fat Kids

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 09:12:12 PM »
If it was working fine with the said grip before, then I doubt it's the grip now.

But if you feel confident that's the problem, you could remove your motor and tape around it until it has a snug fit and see if that works.

I'd say you should remove the motor plate and push the motor up with your hand and try firing it.  That'll tell you if your motor trim is the problem.

Or, if you know anybody else with an extra motor, try installing that and see if that helps.

Also, (I know you said you shimmed it) make sure there are enough shimms on the flat side of the bevel gear.
Replicas:

TM P90 red dot
SRC G36K with a CA AG-36
JG G36C
TM Hi-Capa M.R.P.
KJW MK II
WE HK 416
WE Hi-Capa Dragon
And a few friends\':

Offline Zuul99

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 09:35:21 PM »
Problem solved took a good look at the gear and it was warn not stripped. the gear was all rough and not smooth like other gears.