Author Topic: G36 vs MP5 barrel length?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline mp5 fan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private First Class
    • View Profile
G36 vs MP5 barrel length?
« on: March 19, 2006, 08:59:15 PM »
I'm just wondering, since the G36 seems more of the norm for field play/Milsim, what is the difference in barrel length between it and the MP5?  

Is there any other huge differences that make the G36 a better choice? (motor, springs, battery, mag capacity, etc.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by mp5 fan »

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 12:21:28 AM »
MP5 barrel length = 229mm
G36C barrel lenght = 247mm

I assume you are not talking about the G36 which has a barrel length of 495mm because that would be an obviously unfair advantage in range toward the MP5. The internal differences ar that the MP% has a version 2 gearbox whereas the G36 has a version 3. Some say that the version 3 has a longer lifespan and better reliability but seeing as how I have never owned/worked on one I wouldnt know.

Is a G36 a better weapon for use in field games than an MP5? in range yes, in reliability perhaps. For some of the other differences you may have to consider which company you intend to buy from. TM dosent make a G36, only a G36C. CA makes all of them. Batteries, mags, springs can all be aftermarket parts so they should not be part of the equation.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline mp5 fan

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 10:30:36 AM »
Ganef,

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.  

Is it me or does it seem like a lot of people are going with the M4/M16 varients these days?

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 11:01:48 AM »
Quote from: "mp5 fan"
Is it me or does it seem like a lot of people are going with the M4/M16 varients these days?

Tis true. They even converted me!!! The reason why is becuase there are sooo many accessories for them, and so many different things you can do with them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 11:19:45 AM »
If you consider the types of games we run and the look that a lot of guys are going for the M4 variants realy makes a lot of sence. They have a ton of cosmetic and functional options like firehead said, plus they have a great barrel length sppropriate for most skirmish distances and most importantly there is a ton of gear out on the market to hold the magazines. You realy have to talke all of this into account when you are choosing a weapon for games. M4s just fit the bill all around.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline mp5 fan

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 11:38:58 AM »
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just an observation.  

I'm just wondering if the manufacturers are going to phase out production of other types of weapons to focus more on the m4/m16 market.

Offline seph6885

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 11:51:26 AM »
i certainly hope not. what fun would it be if everyone had the same thing?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by seph6885 »

after throwing a man through a window..
newsreporter: \"is there anything you regret about what you did?\"
charles: \"yea, i regret we weren\'t on a higher floor\"

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 11:57:16 AM »
Quote from: "mp5 fan"
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just an observation.  

I'm just wondering if the manufacturers are going to phase out production of other types of weapons to focus more on the m4/m16 market.

Actually, the M4/M16 series is being produced less for fancy AKs, and G36s. There are a lot of modern weapons that aren't on the market, that companies are starting to produce.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 12:03:13 PM »
I like the fact that if I need a rifle mag, I can look to my left or right and ask a buddy who has the same weapon system.

It would be nice if the same were true with pistols, but that's asking a bit much at this point.

It comes in very handy for guys like Ganef, Firehead, and myself, who often play next to the same players.  We know we can count on each other having what we need, whether it's equipment or mindset.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 12:07:24 PM »
That's half the fun. Throwing mags up to the front guys who are laying down shit, while the rear guys keep the ammo coming.

Like others said,there are very many factors to deciding a gun to use.  Pick one that fits most of the things that you want to get out of your airsoft experience.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline SilentDragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 12:25:53 PM »
Yeah, like in the movies when one soldier runs out of ammo and another soldier throws him a spare... that would be cool.  Which is also why i don't like mid or hi-caps.  Like the Spetz i used at the last game i played.... i used my Standard 70 round AK47 mags (clamped) in the Spetz.  Matt, who lend me the gun, had a med-cap.... but all i did was fill it up for him pretty much, cuz i didn't use it.... didn't want to.  Don't like the noise it makes while moving, and don't like winding... unrealistic.  Plus, the med-cap was smaller than the ak mags, but held more than both put together.  No fun...

M4's are nice.  But, i just don't like TOO many accessories.  I like a good, sturdy, comfortable gun.  That's why i chose an AK.  Old school style, cut and dry assault rifle.  Accessories actually look really cool on an AK.  I've seen so much shit on M4s, and i wouldn't even use most of em.  I would only need to use what i really need... you know?  Why use a red dot when using the gun's sights are the same thing?  Well, thats how i am... i understand that others may use the accessories to their advantage... or if it really helps them.  Me... i only need what i feel is needed for what i want out of my rifle.  Scope, bipod, and a laser... maybe a flashlight, too... will eventually go on my AK... no more.  And since most games i play are during the day, then i would very seldom use the laser and/or light.  Plus, all the extra stuff just makes for extra weight and things to worry about breaking in case you find yourself having to prone or crawl.  Technology is both an advantage, as well as a disadvantage to me.

I would prefer using a M16 or an M4 with no accessories.  I like the feel of them without a bunch of crap on 'em.

Just my $0.02
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by SilentDragon »

Saguaro Team Leader
LCVI, LCVII, LCX, LCXI, Balkan Hammer I/II, Red Dagger II, Cold Burn II. AA Vet

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 01:16:57 PM »
Quote from: "SilentDragon"
Yeah, like in the movies when one soldier runs out of ammo and another soldier throws him a spare... that would be cool.  

Or, like, in reality.  

M4's are nice.  But, i just don't like TOO many accessories.

Neither do I.

Accessories actually look really cool on an AK.  I've seen so much s*** on M4s, and i wouldn't even use most of em.  I would only need to use what i really need... you know?  Why use a red dot when using the gun's sights are the same thing?  Well, thats how i am... i understand that others may use the accessories to their advantage... or if it really helps them.  Me... i only need what i feel is needed for what i want out of my rifle.  Scope, bipod, and a laser... maybe a flashlight, too... will eventually go on my AK... no more.  

No more?  What else CAN you put on a rifle? :roll:

And since most games i play are during the day, then i would very seldom use the laser and/or light.  Plus, all the extra stuff just makes for extra weight and things to worry about breaking in case you find yourself having to prone or crawl.

Illumination tools aren't just for nighttime.  

Technology is both an advantage, as well as a disadvantage to me.

Uh, okay.

I would prefer using a M16 or an M4 with no accessories.  I like the feel of them without a bunch of crap on 'em.

Just my $0.02

So, you don't like alot of crap, but you're going to put a light, laser, scope, and a bipod on your rifle?  :lol:

Anything more than an optic and illumination tool is overkill unless you're running NODs at AA games.

Bro, seriously, what are you getting at?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline SilentDragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 01:33:45 PM »
Sorry... nothing really.  Basically, get what you feel would be useful to you.  Pretty much.  My bad.. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by SilentDragon »

Saguaro Team Leader
LCVI, LCVII, LCX, LCXI, Balkan Hammer I/II, Red Dagger II, Cold Burn II. AA Vet

Offline Lightning_Man

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 10:43:48 PM »
Part of the M4 benefit is also the fact that most of what is readily available for gear is designed for M16 users so magazines pouches are easy to manage. Finding magazine pouches for something like steyr aug, or famas is a bit more difficult or requires more alterations.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Lightning_Man »

It is what we do,
when we believe we can do no more\' that makes us who we are.