Author Topic: Magazine type  (Read 2341 times)

Offline CBDennis

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Magazine type
« on: June 26, 2010, 01:50:44 PM »
I’m relatively new to airsoft so be nice. I just got out of serving 7 years active duty in the Army and I am just starting to get into airsoft...wish I found it sooner.... I am buying this ICS M4 and it comes with two 450 round mags.  I was thinking of just getting 7-8 "low cap mags" with 30-50 rounds each to try and keep it more realistic like what I use and carried in Iraq. Is this a stupid decision on my part? I was just wondering what you all buy and use for you assault rifles and SMGs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline nynone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Magazine type
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »
Quote from: "CBDennis"
I’m relatively new to airsoft so be nice. I just got out of serving 7 years active duty in the Army and I am just starting to get into airsoft...wish I found it sooner.... I am buying this ICS M4 and it comes with two 450 round mags.  I was thinking of just getting 7-8 "low cap mags" with 30-50 rounds each to try and keep it more realistic like what I use and carried in Iraq. Is this a stupid decision on my part? I was just wondering what you all buy and use for you assault rifles and SMGs.

Stupid? No, it's your decision. If that's your personal preference, then so be it. I like mid caps, ones with about 80rds in 'em. My buddies like high caps, and for some reason prefer to wind.

Here's something you need to think about: Is it reasonable? Some games can be pretty heavy shoot 'em up style, and some are pretty damned conservative. Some games it would be quite reasonable to use high caps, or mid caps, as there are rounds flying about like a game of speedball. Some games high caps and mid caps are just stupid, as they're based on conserving ammo, and played with stealth. So as I stated, it's not stupid. It's just a matter of what you prefer.

If you want to play with low cap magazines, be my guest. I don't find it very ideal to only play with them, as with some games you may reloading too damn often and might get shot. I stay with mids because it's not just handful of BBs per se, and it's not something that feels unrealistic (like a video game). Find that happy medium for you, I just don't recommend playing against guys with high or mid cap mags in a big shoot 'em up game ;)

EDIT:
Sorry for the long post, I'm at work, bored, and just occupying time. So don't think I'm that psychological with magazine capacities  :mrgreen:
"To Frank Castle... the finest solider, the finest undercover cop, the finest man I\'ve ever known. What am I gonna do without you?"

"Get a girlfriend."

Offline CBDennis

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 02:54:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Do "mid-cap" mags wind up? Do they rattle around alot when your moving?

Offline SG-1

• Corporal
  • Do it! Do it now! Do it well!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »
I have to agree with Nynone.  It all depends on the types of games that you are playing.  I use both hi-mags and mid-caps.  They are both enjoyable and even when I have my hi-cap I still mostly use my semi-automatic setting because I don't like the idea of "spray and pray."  The only thing I would add is just remember, these are games and that's it.  Have fun!

Oh yea, mid caps don't have to wind and that is the beauty of them; you don't have to worry about winding them up and they don't rattle because they are secured in the mag.  Just make sure that you don't buy the cheap plastic mid-caps.  I bought some Madbull plastic ones and they have all broke.  I won't be buying those again.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:59:53 PM by SG-1 »
Sixth Column
Team Phantom Retiree

Offline G1zm0

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sg12.org/Roster_files/G1zm0.htm
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »
Nope. They are spring fed just like Low or standard cap magazines. I prefer Mid cap because I use a 3:1 ratio addage that I picked up in NC. It takes on avg 3-5 bbs to do the same accurate shot that i could do with a real 5.56mm.

Offline nynone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »
Quote from: "G1zm0"
Nope. They are spring fed just like Low or standard cap magazines. I prefer Mid cap because I use a 3:1 ratio addage that I picked up in NC. It takes on avg 3-5 bbs to do the same accurate shot that i could do with a real 5.56mm.

Now ain't that the truth!
"To Frank Castle... the finest solider, the finest undercover cop, the finest man I\'ve ever known. What am I gonna do without you?"

"Get a girlfriend."

Offline TheBoy988

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=560727808
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »
Quote from: "G1zm0"

I agree with the 3:1 ratio. I carry 7 30 round mags on me during a normal game with one small speed leader. During longer engagements ill carry the same with a small bag of ammo in a pouch on my back.

I run the low capacity mags because i like reloading... adds a little more adrenaline to the game but does put you at a small disadvantage. I hate high capacity mags because they are LOUD as hell when moving, even walking. Having laud mags is a big disadvantage to my play style but may work well for you if your heavy, real heavy on the trigger.
"Don\'t fire and correct! Fire correctly!" - ME

Offline armalite attack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 03:33:29 PM »
Like Luis when he used to use his magpul m4  :roll:  :lol:

Offline CBDennis

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 06:28:41 PM »
That you all for your advice. From what you all have told me, I think Im gonna go with low and mid cap mags. I saw a few bundle packs on airsoft GI that Im gonna pick up with my ICS M4. Maybe I can trade the two high-cap mags that the gun comes with for some low or mid-caps later on.

Offline HiRez

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »
As stated above i Would recommend Mid-caps, low-caps are usually a little more expensive, But you usually fire a burst, and that spread usually makes it simulate a 5.56 hitting your target center mass, So i as well agree with the 3:1 ratio, And mid-caps keep some form of realism, I always hate when there is a newer guy on the field that has all high-caps, and hoses everything that moves, That actually happened to me today at blood money, someone got the drop on me and was about 2 feet behind me, instead of doing the optional "surrender" :roll:  he hosed me with about 30 rounds to the head, so i was out of the game for a little, but at least he was shooting about 325 FPS,

Basically, Low-caps and Mid-caps are the way to go, but don't get a mix, it will only confuse you

Offline CBDennis

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 01:54:22 AM »
Thanks again for the advice; I found a 10 pack of 120-round "mid-cap" mags that I’m going to pick up with my gun. I plan to only run with 7 mags, 6 on my vest and 1 in the gun, keep it the same set up as Iraq. I worked good there and 120*7=840 rounds instead of 30*7=210. Gotta love that.

Offline carbon14c

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 03:19:04 AM »
i have been using the MAG brand magazines (rated for 130rds +/- 20) with my M4 and variants.. i only put 100rds into each (x8) mag though, i find that they feed perfectly smooth if i use that amount. and that is after lubing them up. that doesn't last very long, especially with the KWA. for that reason, i carry two hi-caps with me as well. if i am semi-conservative on the trigger, i usually don't need the hi-caps

Quote from: "HiRez"
As stated above i Would recommend Mid-caps, low-caps are usually a little more expensive..

..I always hate when there is a newer guy on the field that has all high-caps, and hoses everything that moves..

..someone got the drop on me and was about 2 feet behind me, instead of doing the optional "surrender" :roll:  he hosed me with about 30 rounds to the head, so i was out of the game for a little, but at least he was shooting about 325 FPS..

a) low/real capacity magazines are usually cheaper then mids...?

b) welcome to airsoft! :|

c) as far as high-caps go, you still have to wind them, it's not like you can hose the field with 400 rounds before taking a break. i don't know about you, but winding and firing simultaneously doesn't always work as good as you make it sound lol

8)
see you space cowboy...

Offline CBDennis

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 01:21:46 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on the MAG brand magazines, I found a box set of 5 metal 190-round "mid caps" that I’m going to pick up, and just buy 2 more to get the combat load of 7. They look awesome and have gotten nothing but praise in the reviews I read.

Offline CBDennis

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 01:03:47 AM »
Thank you for the advice about MAG brand mags. I got them in and they look and work great. They were a little loose but some duck tape in the right spot fixed that problem.