Author Topic: Why not a Higer Voltage on a 249?  (Read 4338 times)

Offline Kurn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 07:12:34 PM »
Quote from: "Winterwolf"
Right now, the SAW we have shoots at about the same ROF as the rifles we're using... and for the purposes that we're going for, I don't really see that as what we're wanting out of the weapon...

Doesn't a real M249 have roughly the same ROF as a real M16, if not a little lower?

There are several advantages an airsoft SAW has over an airsoft rifle:  The SAW is able to reliably fire longer bursts more then the rifle.  Depending on the rules, SAWs can also have have much more ammo then a rifle can.

Edit: Blah, Vince beat me to it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Kurn »
Not dead yet.

Offline Winterwolf

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 07:19:57 PM »
right on, thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Winterwolf »
I love the smell of green gas in the morning.

Offline Winterwolf

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 07:39:16 PM »
Quote from: "Kurn"
Doesn't a real M249 have roughly the same ROF as a real M16, if not a little lower?

No, not at all, the SAW sounds like paper ripping when it's fired.  It's got a clutch on it that can sustain 3 different rates of fire depending on what gear you have it in.  I really can't remember what the rates are in each... suffice it to say it's A LOT faster.  I've even seen a 240B move a prone soldier firing it about a foot backwards.  That series of weapons have stupid, just stupid rates of fire.

Offline Winterwolf

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 07:48:14 PM »
looks like it's quoted here:

United States military doctrine describes 3,600 m as the maximum range. Effective ranges
include 600 m for a point target, 800 m for an area target, and 1,000 m for suppression. Tracer
ammunition burnout is at 900 m, however. The advised rates of fire are 85 rounds per minute
with no barrel changes. With a barrel change every two minutes, this increases to 200 rounds
per minute. For a barrel change every minute, the rate of fire can go up to 850 rounds per
minute, which is approximately equal to the cyclic rate of fire, at about 850 to 900 round/min.

I'm not sure that that describes the clutch well.  I thought that I remembered a 5 and some plethora of 0's... but it was a few years ago.

Offline Airsofter1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • airsot airsona
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 08:12:05 PM »
I think the "clutch" you are referring to is the gas regulator.  It has two settings to control rate of fire - happy and very happy.
Newer M249s don't have an adjustable gas regulator anymore though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Airsofter1 »

Offline MicrowvbleTurtle

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 08:20:55 PM »
Quote from: "Airsofter1"
Newer M249s don't have an adjustable gas regulator anymore though.

Can still serve the purpose of being a pain in the ass while disassembling the M249 though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by MicrowvbleTurtle »

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 01:08:45 PM »
Quote from: "Winterwolf"

We have played with a freaking mini gun saturating the area, scares some, others keep going regardless.

That alone scares me.

Just don't run in front of it  :P

If you just happen to be between a rock and a hard place then that's just tough. You'll probably get hit, not just once or twice, probably like 20 something times in one burst.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by deathbydanish »
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.

Offline Deathmoose

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 04:04:53 PM »
I,m looking to get a m249 soon and would like to upgrade the range and rof does anyone know of someone who has done thins before?

also is there upgrades for the gearbox and internals?

also just a note
from what i have read the 249 it doesn't sound that great i got an mk12 with a 2500 rnd drum mag better range and same rof and it can handle larger batteries

should i stick with it or go with the m249?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Deathmoose »
You fear the Moose of Death, yes?

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 12:21:45 AM »
That adjustment knob(the thing you guys keep calling the clutch) isn't for adjustment of rates of fire. In an extended fight, carbon will build up on your gas regulator and various parts throughout the system. You turn it, so you can open up your gas system, so that you don't lose rate of fire. But yes, the newer M249s have non-adjustable/non-removeable gas regulators. M240s still have them though.

Its hard as fuck to determine targets at 800 meters, good luck shooting anything past that. That "US Doctrine" is not to protect the weapon system, but instead to keep the SAW gunner from running out of ammunition. When you start rolling around in gun trucks where you carry 1200 rounds of SAW drums, then most of that shit goes out the window.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline Blitz

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 03:51:52 PM »
Quote from: "Deathmoose"
I,m looking to get a m249 soon and would like to upgrade the range and rof does anyone know of someone who has done thins before?

also is there upgrades for the gearbox and internals?

also just a note
from what i have read the 249 it doesn't sound that great i got an mk12 with a 2500 rnd drum mag better range and same rof and it can handle larger batteries

should i stick with it or go with the m249?

i picked up a echo1 249 and all i did was droped in a DB custom tightbore and it was go to go for range and FPS the origonal ROF with a 9.6 was plenty to get the point across
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Blitz »
WEITER, WEITER, INS VERDERBEN

Offline Deathmoose

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 01:26:04 PM »
what type of tight bore? (.03,.02,.01????) also can you tell me if its a sort type motor or mid? or can i mid fit in there?

thx for the info
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Deathmoose »
You fear the Moose of Death, yes?

Offline SilentVectorX

• FNG
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »
Okay, back on topic here...

The CA M249 has 8mm bearings, the reason they say 'Don't use a 9.6 or greater', is because those brearings give you a nice RoF boost. They let the gears spin faster, sending more force to the piston. Considering that CA's yellow piston isn't a great piece to begin with, this isn't a good thing. With the CA M249's, I've heard of lots of guys simply stripping out pistons. Less likely would be a total gearset failure if the factory shimming was bad enough.

Now we start getting into the really technical stuff.

From what I've seen in examinations of CA pistons, they seem to need a slight AoE adjustment as well as a Sector gear clearance adjustment on the second tooth. Why? Hit up this LINK for a quick explanation.

Once you've got the AoE adjusted, you can really go to town. Get a decent gearset, good shimming, MOSFET trigger, and whatever motor/battery/spring combo you want. If you run a Guarder SP100 (near equivalent to stock CA, but more consistent) you can run it to around 30RPS, at a minimum.

And yes, at that point, people will run away screaming 'F*CK THIIIISSSSSS!!!!' or other various expletives. Set up correctly, it will handle extended bursts without issues.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by SilentVectorX »
G36-S.Project; 38RPS and counting.
P90SAW-Hunter; 33RPS @ 360FPS.
AEG Upgrade Guide