Author Topic: Dboys Full Metal M4A1  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Corporal209

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
Dboys Full Metal M4A1
« on: April 22, 2008, 08:19:08 PM »
http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/Product ... =DB%2D3681

Is this a good gun? Im either going to get this or a JG M733, But i dont want a super compact weapon, but i dont want a 5' gun. Feedback would be helpful.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Corporal209 »

Offline driver5

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »
I'd buck up and buy a higher quality platform like CA or ICS. For about $100 more you'll get a gun that will perform better and be more reliable, as well as last longer. Every single person I've played with has shelved their MPEGs in short order. It's easier to spend the $300 now than $200 now and $300 in 6 months. The extra $200 could go to a tightbore, a red-dot, and an fps upgrade, with some cash to spare.

edit: Also, don't be afraid to support your local retailers- Gearbox and Arizona Paintball Depot. Take a parent and ask some questions, they're very helpful at both stores. The small extra price you'd pay is more than worth the help they give.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by driver5 »

Offline Venom21

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/diadeloscalaveras818
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 06:55:15 PM »
Quote from: "driver5"
edit: Also, don't be afraid to support your local retailers- Gearbox and Arizona Paintball Depot. Take a parent and ask some questions, they're very helpful at both stores. The small extra price you'd pay is more than worth the help they give.

Yeah always better to support your local Airsoft store....helps airsoft to grow in a way in AZ
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Venom21 »

Offline Corporal209

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:03:49 PM »
Quote from: "driver5"
I'd buck up and buy a higher quality platform like CA or ICS.
I can't
1)I don't have enough money
2)My parents wouldn't let me spend $300 on an airsoft gun, that's WAY too much

I think i might get this one though, seeing as how it is full metal, and i will just upgrade it to get a higher FPS.[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Corporal209 »

Offline driver5

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »
If you can't shell out the extra $100 for a better gun, OSB. I can't see a reasonable adult refusing to allow you to spend that extra money for a significantly better product. If they have an issue with the price, wal-mart beckons. This is *not* a cheap hobby, and there is no way around that.

All that said, Echo 1 has the best rep. of the cheapie guns.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by driver5 »

Offline Venom21

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/diadeloscalaveras818
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 09:06:25 PM »
Yeah man I got an Echo 1 and they are great. I got it for about 150$. Echo 1 has the best rep, and wont break down on you. They are really accurate guns too. I have et some people use it wih CA and they look a me suprised that Echo 1 has such good range and accratcy for a stuck 150$ gun
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Venom21 »

Offline chris

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »
Agreed. You will end up just wasting money on the D-Boys, especialy when you try and upgrade it. Just by an Echo 1 and DO NOT Upgrade it. If you cant buy a decent gun, you don't have the luxury of having a backup if there is impropper shimming, or a stripped piston in your primary.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by chris »

\" Jon + ICS = WTF?!! \"
 Primary- CA M15a4 Secondary- CA G36C Backup- CA Mp5a4 Sidearm- KWA Glock 17

Offline Exarach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »
OF the CHEAPIE guns!!!!!  :?
Dude, out of box, Echo 1 out preforms, both CA and Tm, come on..... They are a near perfect clone. My echo has "CA" STAMPED on the gears, how much closer does it get? As for upgrading, I agree, its either a hit or miss. It may work or it may trash the gun. While I love Both Tm and CA I can honestly say that for outdoors I prefer my stock Echo. Also in agreement with above, don't by anything but springers from walmart. Those "Pulse R70s" and "Cyberguns" don't hold. Pm me if you want an in depth view as to WHY they suck. But seriously, go Echo 1. With there quality control on the rise for a while, they are becoming a quite prestigious company. If they keep this up they will soon become    (more of) a leading name on the airsoft market.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Exarach »
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?

Offline cheese

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »
d boys are just fine easy to upgrade later , but with heavier use as a stock gun the piston will go in two or three games , no worries its easily replaced , classic army parts fit just fine in this gun and be sure to replace the plastic bearings with metal , buy d boys guns from airsplat.com and you'll get a better looking gun  spend 150 and they'll ship it free.   good luck
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by cheese »
Incoming fire has the right of way.
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.

primary: S.A.L 25
secondary: jg m4a1

Offline cheese

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 12:58:10 PM »
being 13 you probably dont need an expensive setup and there wont be allot of games for you, so go for it and take it to gearbox for upgrades when your 14 or 15....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by cheese »
Incoming fire has the right of way.
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.

primary: S.A.L 25
secondary: jg m4a1

Offline Whiskey11

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 10:15:24 PM »
To throw in some extra food for thought...

The dBoys M4 that a friend bought was not bad.  Honestly, it wasent bad, it wasent great.  Some suggestions though, Buy a new hop up unit and hop up rubber/nub ASAP.  The stock one is absolutely horrid.  He couldnt get any form of overhop (so he couldnt get a flat and level trajectory for the power he had) at all with .20's and with .23's they'd just drop real fast.

Having said that, I was impressed with the metal body though.  Seemed on par with a CA Metal body, it's just the paint has a tendancy to flake off if you scratch it hard enough.  

For the price, it's not bad, but be advised you will have to replace the hop up unit, and the hop up rubber and nub before it's even remotely close to a decent performer.  

If your heart is dead set on an M16 or variant then save your money, as it stands right now, there is no M16/M4/w/e that meets my standards for under 250$.... the cheapest (and ironically one of the best) M16's you can buy, is a G&P M16A2 for about 230$ + shipping from Hong Kong (so about 260-280 shipped)  Which isnt too bad.  If your parents wont let you spend 300+ on an AEG then I think it's time you find a different hobby because it only gets more expensive as your desire to play more goes up...

I probably could have bought and restored a classic Mustang with all the money i've spent (read: wasted, in a sense, it is afterall a hobby) on airsoft.... probably not but it's rediculous how much I have spent over the past 4 years of playing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Whiskey11 »