Author Topic: 2009 NRA convention in Pheonix  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Fat_Santa54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
2009 NRA convention in Pheonix
« on: April 07, 2009, 02:46:25 PM »
http://www.nraam.org/

Could be old news, but I just noticed this the other day. it will be the largest convention in pheonix history.

May 15-17 at the phenoix convention center, I plan on going.

This is from the AZ republic

Phoenix picked by NRA
'09 session likely to draw 65,000

Monica Alonzo-Dunsmoor
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 25, 2006 12:00 AM

Phoenix has landed the largest convention in its history, mostly due to a $600 million expansion of the Phoenix Convention Center, a new downtown hotel and a long-standing relationship with the National Rifle Association.

NRA officials on Friday said Phoenix will host their May 2009 annual conference, an event expected to draw as many as 65,000 people. The delegates will collectively spend as much as $94.3 million during their stay for rental cars, hotel accommodations and meals.

The NRA convention is a key victory for Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon and other officials who pushed hard to get public financing for the convention center expansion and a 1,000-room, $350 million Sheraton hotel. The goal was to garner larger conventions such as the NRA. Before the expansion plans, the largest convention in Phoenix drew 15,000 attendees.

"There were naysayers who doubted whether Phoenix and the state should be investing in a convention center and hotel," Gordon said. "The investment we all promised would pay back is paying back, and with dividends."

Scott White, executive vice president of the Greater Phoenix Convention & Visitors Bureau, said that without those projects, the NRA "never would have considered Phoenix."

The NRA had a convention in Phoenix more than 10 years ago, but that one was far smaller. The long-standing relationship between the NRA and Phoenix officials provided an added boost.

'Working relationship'

"We certainly appreciate our working relationship with the mayor and his office," Andrew Arulanandam, director of public affairs for the NRA, said.

Gordon said that the association has given its considerable lobbying muscle to Phoenix.

He asked NRA President Sandra Froman in October 2005 for help after the Phoenix Fire Department's urban search and rescue team was suspended from the Federal Emergency Management Agency for traveling with armed guards during Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

"They helped introduced legislation to authorize police officers to carry firearms to protect the rescuers," Gordon said. "They lobbied Congress on our behalf and the pressure helped."

The association stood by Gordon in 1999 when he was working on Shannon's Law, a law that makes it a felony to discharge a weapon in the city. It also worked with the city to protect the Ben Avery Shooting Facility in north Phoenix from encroachment.

There is $3 million in the city's $878.5 million bond program earmarked to improve the shooting range. Gordon said it was a "way of saying 'thank you' to the NRA for their partnership."

Voters will decide on the bond package on March 14.
City officials are convinced that other large conventions will follow the NRA.

"This is going to bring a national focus to Phoenix," Gordon said. "Other large conventions follow the leaders, and the NRA is a leader."

Phoenix beat out about a dozen other cities competing for the 2009 convention.

The convention center expansion will triple the center space to nearly 900,000 square feet by early 2009, providing the latest technology and enough space for the association's more than 500 exhibitors and to accommodate about 3,000 people in banquet rooms. The expansion puts Phoenix's center among the 20 largest in the country.

The association also looks at cities, like Phoenix, that are "friendly to the rights of law-abiding gun owners," Arulanandam said.

Reach the reporter at monica.alonzo-dunsmoor@arizonarepublic.com
or (602) 444-2478
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 NRA convention in Pheonix
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »
The NRA is a national association perpetuated by the needs of it's leadership to control something luxurious and respected.

They stopped lobbying for things that actually represent the needs of it's constituency a long, long time ago, when they became largely, an association of compromisers and capitulators.

I regret that my membership to the NRA will only end upon my death.

Wake me up when there's a GOA convention here.

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Fat_Santa54

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 03:25:57 PM »
regardless of what you think of the group there will be a lot of exhibits from different weapons companies and what not.

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »
Quote from: "Fat_Santa54"
regardless of what you think of the group there will be a lot of exhibits from different weapons companies and what not.

Sick, let me know how you enjoy all the hunting exhibits.

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »
I will be at the Firearms Law Seminar on Friday 1) because my firm is paying for me to go 2) because I am requried to have a certain amount of continuing education hours which this will partly satisfy and 3) the free food and drinks.  Oh, and because there will be a lot of discussion of the post Heller posture of firearms litigation.

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:05:03 PM »
Quote from: "Vince"
The NRA is a national association perpetuated by the needs of it's leadership to control something luxurious and respected.

They stopped lobbying for things that actually represent the needs of it's constituency a long, long time ago, when they became largely, an association of compromisers and capitulators.

I regret that my membership to the NRA will only end upon my death.

Wake me up when there's a GOA convention here.

Vince:  bursting bubbles since 2004. :lol:

People who think they know about guns, their importance in American history, and their own "need" for them find comfort in the fact that there is a larger organization that is fighting for them.  

Ignorance is bliss.

I'm not an NRA member because no one has ever really given me a good reason to join.  I don't think American Rifleman is a good magazine, and really, what else will I get out of it?

Someone, please educate me on the benefits of NRA membership, that I will see come to fruition.

I think it IS a necessity to have a responsible, armed society, and I am greatful for my right to bear arms.  

How does the NRA help me?

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:36:02 PM »
Well, there's always the smug attitude you can give people who aren't a member.  That's almost worth the membership price right there.  Plus if you have a wood burning stove, you could always use the magazine and spam to heat your house.

Offline Fat_Santa54

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 07:01:39 AM »
The only reason Im a member is becasue a month ago they were doing that one year free promotion. So I figured since its free why not, at least ill get a free magazine.

I just think it will be a cool thing to go to.

Offline **INFIDEL**

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 09:10:47 AM »
Thank You Vince, I too have no choice althou my membership will run out before I die ( Thats the plan anyways) more than one has seen the grand illusion and at the time seem to be the right thing to do.... :| It would of been nice to see my money spent on the battles of now and In the future, Instead of all the crap I get In the mailbox. Althou the shredders need to eat too!!  :-"
** VINI VEDE VECE **

Offline Seedy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deserthawks.org
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
I don't mind the American Rifleman magazine that much...
I like reading those articles about old obscure WW1 French Navy carbines when I'm pinching a loaf.

Offline bigwally77

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 11:16:32 PM »
Quote from: "XavierMace"
Well, there's always the smug attitude you can give people who aren't a member.  That's almost worth the membership price right there.

well played Xavier thats probably the part of reason i joined

Primary--Tokyo Marui M4A1 w/ Leapers 4x scope, Madbull Foam Blackside Suppressor, and Madbull 455mm 6.03 Tightbore
Back-up--Please my primary is a TM

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 12:14:52 AM »
I went to this and I think that, if nothing else, alot of people got some education out of it.

There WAS some MISinformation to be had by listening to certain exhibitors, but for the most part it's good to educate the masses.  

Too many folks out there are gun owners that aren't familiar enough with the hardware, or the mindset behind it's employment.  Events such as this aim to counter that.

Plus it's always cool to fondle new shit with a manufacturer's representative right there to answer any questions you may have.

Offline Polie

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 12:33:06 AM »
no offense, but if you think American Rifleman is the only publication, you need to do a little more research.  They have over 6 different publications.  I am a life member.  I got it back in the day because it was 1)cheap and 2) you had to be an NRA member to shoot in some matches.

here you go azsarge:

http://www.nrapublications.org/
"Dude! Your ride is sick as fuck!"

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »
The legal seminar was very well done.  It was great listening to a female FBI lawyer say how stupid it is to restrict a firearm because of magazine capacity, pistol grip, etc.

There are a number of lawsuits that were filed on May 15 challenging local laws in light of Heller and several communities have already rescinded their restrictive laws after having a Heller suit filed.  Progress is being made.

And it was fun to be in a room full of gun wearing lawyers....