Author Topic: Is Airsoft a Sport?  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Bow-tie Assasin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Is Airsoft a Sport?
« on: April 29, 2009, 05:19:43 PM »
My friend just used this topic in his debate course and I thought it would be interesting to put on the forum and see what people think. Iv'e heard a lot of people say that airsoft isn't a sport but i've never really heard any reasoning behind that point of view, not that there isn't any. Im curious to hear you're opinions but keep it mature and responsible please; there's too many topics on the forums that go bad due to unnecessary heated arguments.

Here's why I think airsoft is a sport...

1- In airsoft, teamwork is usually applied in order to accomplish a goal/s
2- It's a competitive and physical activity (even though not every participant is built like Ray Lewis)
3- There's usually some sort of strategy used to accomplish a goal/s
4- There's rules and regulations (FPS limit, respawn time, boundaries, limits to special roles, vehicles, gun/body hits, time limit, good sportsmanship)
5- One team/side usually comes out victorious (sometimes there's a stalemate or you're like WTF just happened cough cough LC point system :roll: )
6- A lot of games usually have a time limit whether it be set for an entire game or for each different objective
7- Penalties: You get shot; You go back to your respawn point
8- Sponsors (AEX/Sic Semper Tyrannis)
9- Squad leader

Compared to Basketball/Baseball

1- Teamwork is applied to accomplish a goal
2- It's a competitive and physical activity (even though technically any out of shape couch-potato can throw a ball in a hoop)
3- Strategy: Pick and rolls in basketball, floor spacing, slow or fast pace, formation on out of bounds plays
4- Rules and regulations apply (Unless you're the 2007 San Antonio Spurs)
5- One team/side usually comes out victorious (except for a tie in soccer or your like WTF just happened after you watch the 2007 San Antonio Spurs)
6- There's a set time limit whether it's in halves or quarters
7- Penalties: You strike out; you go back to your dugout
8- Sponsors (University of Phoenix/AZ Cardinals)
9- Team captain

I see too many similarities between airsoft and more conventional sports such as basketball/baseball to not call airsoft a sport.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:11:04 PM by Bow-tie Assasin »
"First There"
Never Quit!

Offline Toast

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Is Airsoft a Sport?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:51:06 PM »
IMHO, I consider airsoft closer to a role playing game rather than an actual sport.
It's like playing a military simulation but it's "acted" out in person rather than sitting behind a keyboard.
My other argument would be that airsoft is not regulated by any national organization, that I know of, that sets the rules e.g.. the NBA, NFL etc.
Yes we have rules but they are written and enforced depending on the games host.
Even though physical agility and endurance will help you in an airsoft game, it's one of the most important factors in a official sport.
I just like to keep it as I see it, an opportunity to hang out with some good people, play with some pretty cool toys and escape from the real world for a few hours.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Oderint Dum Metuant"

Offline Winters

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:57:54 PM »
Last thing I read regarding something like this. It was noted that Airsoft is classified as an extreme sport.  The fact that it uses teamwork, a clear objective, and a set of defined rules.  im sure there more im forgetting right now, kinda tipsy.
When in doubt, shoot first.
N.W.A.T.T.
North West Airsoft Tactical Team

Offline I Slap Fat Kids

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:13:10 PM »
It's kinda like LARPing...  But a much cooler version of it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LARPing
Replicas:

TM P90 red dot
SRC G36K with a CA AG-36
JG G36C
TM Hi-Capa M.R.P.
KJW MK II
WE HK 416
WE Hi-Capa Dragon
And a few friends\':

Offline Twitchy Konigkeit

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/ahwatac
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:38:47 PM »
i think in order to be classified as a sport,  it has to be good with beer....but thats just me.

Offline Bow-tie Assasin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:07:25 PM »
Quote from: "Toast"
My other argument would be that airsoft is not regulated by any national organization, that I know of, that sets the rules e.g.. the NBA, NFL etc.
Yes we have rules but they are written and enforced depending on the games host.
Even though physical agility and endurance will help you in an airsoft game, it's one of the most important factors in a official sport.
hours.

You're describing "Professional/Collegiate sports". Pick up basketball games aren't regulated by any rule-setting organization but they're still a sport. Think of a YMCA league where a few people are in charge and determine the rules and scheduling of a basketball tournament (similar to an LC event or Balkan Hammer). You bring up a good point though.
"First There"
Never Quit!

Offline Fat_Santa54

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 06:53:48 AM »
sport   /spɔrt, spoʊrt/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [spawrt, spohrt]  Show IPA
–noun 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.  
5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.  
6. an object of derision; laughingstock.
7. something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.
8. something or someone subject to the whims or vicissitudes of fate, circumstances, etc.
9. a sportsman.
10. Informal. a person who behaves in a sportsmanlike, fair, or admirable manner; an accommodating person: He was a sport and took his defeat well.  
11. Informal. a person who is interested in sports as an occasion for gambling; gambler.
12. Informal. a flashy person; one who wears showy clothes, affects smart manners, pursues pleasurable pastimes, or the like; a bon vivant.
13. Biology. an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation.
14. Obsolete. amorous dalliance.

I think airsoft is clasified as a sport, but acording to definition 12 we need someone to wear a tux to the next game. who sould?

Offline G1zm0

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sg12.org/Roster_files/G1zm0.htm
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 05:41:12 PM »
I call it improvised training, but yes I agree it is a sport in my mind.

Offline Bow-tie Assasin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 07:06:47 PM »
Quote from: "Fat_Santa54"
sport   /spɔrt, spoʊrt/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [spawrt, spohrt]  Show IPA
–noun 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.  
5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.  
6. an object of derision; laughingstock.
7. something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.
8. something or someone subject to the whims or vicissitudes of fate, circumstances, etc.
9. a sportsman.
10. Informal. a person who behaves in a sportsmanlike, fair, or admirable manner; an accommodating person: He was a sport and took his defeat well.  
11. Informal. a person who is interested in sports as an occasion for gambling; gambler.
12. Informal. a flashy person; one who wears showy clothes, affects smart manners, pursues pleasurable pastimes, or the like; a bon vivant.
13. Biology. an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation.
14. Obsolete. amorous dalliance.

I think airsoft is clasified as a sport, but acording to definition 12 we need someone to wear a tux to the next game. who sould?

hmmm I wonder? 8)
"First There"
Never Quit!

Offline TheBoy988

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=560727808
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 03:02:40 PM »
haha i gota say this has now become one of my most favored discussions on AA. and im going to have to say that airsoft is in fact a sport because its very competitive. granted some game styles are less sport like then others like free for all or zombie but non the less...

final word is its a sport...
"Don\'t fire and correct! Fire correctly!" - ME

Offline TheHamburglar

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 09:06:27 PM »
Quote from: "TheBoy988"
haha i gota say this has now become one of my most favored discussions on AA. and im going to have to say that airsoft is in fact a sport because its very competitive. granted some game styles are less sport like then others like free for all or zombie but non the less...

Just because something is competitive doesn't make it a sport video games have some aggressive players and are extremely competitive in the nonsense but that doesn't make it a sport... I don't see airsoft as a sport but a hobby  I must say this for multiple reasons as stated before NBA has rules set and that was argued about pick up games but thats still not a valid debate because they still follow the set rules... Airsoft has no set rules as rules are different from host to host.. And to Bow-tie Assassin anyone can take rules from multiple sources to prove a point to make something appear as they wanted and not to be mean instead of posting your biased opinion in the original post you should have waited too see what others say before joining the bandwagon...
So my vote is hobby for the lack of set rules from game to game...
The man you just cant hate.

Offline I Slap Fat Kids

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 07:39:35 PM »
Ok, so my vote is no, it's not a sport.

It is a game, but I wouldn't call it a sport.  Neither would I say it is reenactment (although some scenarios are similar/ loosley based off of real ones).

I say it is a game.
Replicas:

TM P90 red dot
SRC G36K with a CA AG-36
JG G36C
TM Hi-Capa M.R.P.
KJW MK II
WE HK 416
WE Hi-Capa Dragon
And a few friends\':

Offline KOBO

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 09:13:23 PM »
Nope, according to a former AZ governor and the US gov't it is a training ground for right wing radicals ready to attack the United States.

Offline **INFIDEL**

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 06:39:25 AM »
Quote from: "KOBO"
Nope, according to a former AZ governor and the US gov't it is a training ground for right wing radicals ready to attack the United States.
COOooooooLLLL :D/ ...Wonder how much this cost the tax payer... :-k
** VINI VEDE VECE **

Offline Bow-tie Assasin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 12:03:18 AM »
Quote from: "TheHamburglar"
Quote from: "TheBoy988"

Just because something is competitive doesn't make it a sport video games have some aggressive players and are extremely competitive in the nonsense but that doesn't make it a sport... I don't see airsoft as a sport but a hobby  I must say this for multiple reasons as stated before NBA has rules set and that was argued about pick up games but thats still not a valid debate because they still follow the set rules... Airsoft has no set rules as rules are different from host to host.. And to Bow-tie Assassin anyone can take rules from multiple sources to prove a point to make something appear as they wanted and not to be mean instead of posting your biased opinion in the original post you should have waited too see what others say before joining the bandwagon...
So my vote is hobby for the lack of set rules from game to game...

True, competitiveness doesn't automatically make something a sport, many other things have to come into play. The majority of basketball pick up games DO NOT follow the set rules. None of the MANY basketball pick up games iv'e played have implemented the 8 second rule, back court violation, time out limits, 6 foul penalty, I can go on and on. LIKE airsoft, the rules for certain pick up basketball games differ per host but each of those games are still considered sport. Like NBA, Lion Claws has set rules and regulations and LIKE the NBA it has people on the field to reinforce them. So (in my opinion) you can't use the "NBA" arguement since that is only one organization responsible for one league, not the whole sport of basketball. As LC is for airsoft, NBA is for basketball.

Im curious as to how I can join a bandwagon when im the first to post? My opinion isn't biased, I just don't agree that airsoft isn't a sport and I gave my reasoning behind it. Im open minded and I did take the "hobby" opinion into consideration but I just dont agree with it. Im just curious to see what other people think. I do see what you're saying though and I know you're not trying to be mean.
"First There"
Never Quit!