Author Topic: Removing the Fuse  (Read 989 times)

Offline tastyfish21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
Removing the Fuse
« on: September 23, 2009, 08:03:34 PM »
I am working on a small project with one of my G3s and to make room for a battery, it appears I might have to remove the fuse. I know some people remove them on all their AEGs. I was just wondering what the benefits are, and if there are any drawbacks, short term or long term.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
-SteveO

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Removing the Fuse
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 08:10:29 PM »
Steve,

Many guns now do not have fuses at all.  If you have a problem with your gun, do not continue to try and fire it and you should be okay.
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline dnguyenaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 05:45:56 PM »
I remove all my fuses and and I dont have any problems, as when I upgrade batts they tend to burn out

Offline I Slap Fat Kids

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 09:19:57 PM »
The fuse can also add resistance.  If you remove it, you'll most likely notice a slight increase in ROF and battery life.
Replicas:

TM P90 red dot
SRC G36K with a CA AG-36
JG G36C
TM Hi-Capa M.R.P.
KJW MK II
WE HK 416
WE Hi-Capa Dragon
And a few friends\':

Offline Bowser

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bowser484
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 01:29:17 PM »
Quote from: "Raith"
Steve,

Many guns now do not have fuses at all. If you have a problem with your gun, do not continue to try and fire it and you should be okay.

Why is that? I'm curious because I just got a new systema gearbox that did not come with a fuse set.

Offline G1zm0

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sg12.org/Roster_files/G1zm0.htm
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »
They burn out real Fast

Offline BATMAN

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 06:25:39 PM »
Here comes Batman spreading his "pro-fuse propaganda" again...

Most of my guns I custom wire myself (tech work at Batteries Plus taught me a lot of cool tricks), and I purposely wire in a fuse box for all of them.  I'm not going to tell you that fuses are essential to proper AEG health, because they aren't.  I just believe that the level of safeguard they provide for your gun is much greater than the amount of hassle they are to keep in.  Some points:

Pros:
-When an AEG hits a mechanical failure or wiring problem (which is practically inevitable), the fuse is much faster at reacting than you are.  It will break the connection before more serious problems arise.  I've seen batteries, wires, pistons, gears and numerous other internal parts saved by the fuse stopping the cycle MANY a time.  Inversely, I've seen the same parts destroyed in guns that would have been saved if there was a fuse.
-Fuses are CHEAP.  A LOT cheaper than any part inside your gearbox.

Cons:
-They take up extra space in your gun.  Some guns are designed to fit wires or the battery in such a tight space that a fuse is impossible to fit.  It's not the end of the world, but be more careful with how you use it.
-Because of resistance, fuses do slightly decrease your ROF... BUT with good quality wires, connectors, and fuses, the problem is virtually non-existent.

Other points:
-If your gun is constantly blowing fuses, you are either using the wrong rated fuses, or there is SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR GUN.  Fuses don't just blow for no reason. Try higher rated fuses; I prefer 30A.
-When you install a higher tension spring in your gun, resistance increases, which means you need higher rated fuses than before.  A lot of people overlook this.
-If you're using a mosfet, you don't need a fuse.
-Fuses DO NOT drain batteries faster.  When the connection is closed, amperage flows through a fuse just the same as a piece of wire.  It doesn't stockpile "mAh's" inside of it.

There is a decent likelihood that you could play airsoft for years and years, and never see a problem that a fuse would have prevented... but I have... LOTS of times.  So, I therefore use fuses, and am glad I do.
-BATMAN

Offline tastyfish21

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 08:17:01 PM »
Thanks guys for all the useful info. I'll make sure to keep it all in mind when I have to figure out the wiring. Again, thanks.
-SteveO