Author Topic: Using Cleaners On Airsoft Guns  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Pick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Using Cleaners On Airsoft Guns
« on: May 19, 2010, 11:48:11 PM »
So i broke that little plastic thingy that came with my gun today, so i went down to wally-world and bought me a rifle cleaning kit and some Remington Rem-oil. I tried some on a rag and ran it through the barrel. I know its designed for use in real firearms to prevent rust. Does anyone else use a kind of cleaner in their air soft rifles and has anyone had a bad experience doing so.

p.s if someone has made a thread about this i apologize i haven't found one
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious. - Sun Tzu

Offline TheStenGun

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Using Cleaners On Airsoft Guns
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:01:50 AM »
You are mainly looking out for petroleum based cleaners or lube because that will harm the airseal components and the hopup. I wouldn't go crazy with anything designed for a real gun; they don't have too much in common with an AEG.

Offline Pick

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:18:42 AM »
Quote from: "TheStenGun"
You are mainly looking out for petroleum based cleaners or lube because that will harm the airseal components and the hopup. I wouldn't go crazy with anything designed for a real gun; they don't have too much in common with an AEG.

Yeah it is Petro based but I was being careful not to get it all the way down to the hopup
He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious. - Sun Tzu

Offline Shadow

• Sergeant Major
  • Tappin' fools from 300'+
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 11:14:20 AM »
I made the mistake of using RemOil in my barrel.  Even though I was careful not to get any down on the rubber, it was only a matter of time before a drop made it.  All it takes is an unseen drop to wreak havoc on a rubber hopup bucking.

Your best bet is to completely avoid the petroleum distillate based chemicals like the plague.
Six Charlie
Phantom Retired
Prop Wash Gang

Offline Pick

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:18:19 AM »
Quote from: "derekr44"
I made the mistake of using RemOil in my barrel.  Even though I was careful not to get any down on the rubber, it was only a matter of time before a drop made it.  All it takes is an unseen drop to wreak havoc on a rubber hopup bucking.

Your best bet is to completely avoid the petroleum distillate based chemicals like the plague.

Thanks for the advice

Offline heckler91

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 01:20:21 PM »
You want to look for a silacone based cleaner. It will help reduce drag and at the same time remove un wanted grime.
People should not be fear there government there government should fear them.

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 04:55:25 PM »
Quote from: "heckler91"
You want to look for a silacone based cleaner. It will help reduce drag and at the same time remove un wanted grime.

if you leave enough lube to 'reduce drag', it will attract and trap that 'unwanted grime'... as well as harm your accuracy.

with that in mind... rem oil makes a great cleaner, but it leaves a liquid coating on whatever you use it on. It's great for slides on gbb... but any time when you have any chance of getting on a rubber seal from dripping or settling that leaves a little too much of it somewhere.

Offline Pick

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 04:57:41 PM »
Quote from: "axisofoil"
Quote from: "heckler91"

if you leave enough lube to 'reduce drag', it will attract and trap that 'unwanted grime'... as well as harm your accuracy.

with that in mind... rem oil makes a great cleaner, but it leaves a liquid coating on whatever you use it on. It's great for slides on gbb... but any time when you have any chance of getting on a rubber seal from dripping or settling that leaves a little too much of it somewhere.

sorry i got most of it but the last part i didn't get

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »
rem oil is good for cleaning parts. pulls the metal shavings and dirt up off the metal.

but it also coats things, and if you don't clean that oil off, it sits on the surface. It's a liquid and doesn't dry up. <-that's the coating part
So it will sit there with all those shavings and dirt, but it will also run if you leave it sitting. Say... if you were to oil the barrel and then leave your gun muzzle-up, then the oil will slowly run down the barrel towards your hopup. That puts your bucking at risk even if you didn't oil that part of the barrel.

I recommend running a cleaning rod with a dry piece of tissue paper through the barrel to remove the oil. That will truly give you the least drag and the best accuracy, not to mention remove the risk of getting petroleum on the rubber pieces.

Side note, oil can increase drag if used in an improper thickness/weight/viscosity, as all lubrication can.

Offline Pick

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 05:59:05 PM »
rem oil is good for cleaning parts. pulls the metal shavings and dirt up off the metal.

but it also coats things, and if you don't clean that oil off, it sits on the surface. It's a liquid and doesn't dry up. <-that's the coating part
So it will sit there with all those shavings and dirt, but it will also run if you leave it sitting. Say... if you were to oil the barrel and then leave your gun muzzle-up, then the oil will slowly run down the barrel towards your hopup. That puts your bucking at risk even if you didn't oil that part of the barrel.

I recommend running a cleaning rod with a dry piece of tissue paper through the barrel to remove the oil. That will truly give you the least drag and the best accuracy, not to mention remove the risk of getting petroleum on the rubber pieces.

Side note, oil can increase drag if used in an improper thickness/weight/viscosity, as all lubrication can.

Thanks for dumbing it down lol

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 06:52:39 PM »
Not a problem. I used some really weird wording in my first post anyways.

I prefer to think of it as translating from the stream of consciousness out of my head, into English for everyone else. lol.

Offline Pick

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 06:55:19 PM »

I prefer to think of it as translating from the stream of consciousness out of my head, into English for everyone else. lol.

That works as well but it could be I haven't downloaded that translator yet

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:12:17 PM »
Quote from: "Pick"

yeah... hasn't made it out of alpha testing yet. It should be available for download via the google market soon. It will be compatible with multi-touch and full flash in Android 2.2. :P

Offline Pick

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 07:25:56 PM »
Quote from: "Pick"

yeah... hasn't made it out of alpha testing yet. It should be available for download via the google market soon. It will be compatible with multi-touch and full flash in Android 2.2. :P
ok let me know when it hits the droid market I will download the axis translator lol

Speaking of which I posting off my hdc hd2 lol

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 07:29:49 PM »
gross!!!! microsoft software!!!!!

Guess you won't ever get a real translator then.