Author Topic: metal toothed piston vs plastic tooth piston  (Read 1491 times)

Offline rune89

• Trade Count: (0)
  • FNG
    • View Profile
metal toothed piston vs plastic tooth piston
« on: August 23, 2010, 07:13:58 PM »
OK so I'm just pricing out a new set of internals for a project gun. Is it worth the money going with a metal toothed piston or not? Also has anyone had experience with padded piston heads? Do they change the fps or any other affects. What are the pros and cons of each?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: metal toothed piston vs plastic tooth piston
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:37:13 PM »
depends on what your goals for the gun are.

Offline TheStenGun

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:25:08 PM »
I always favor plastic pistons. I would prefer shredding one of those rather than a nice set of gears. Also, they are lighter weight and easier to modify.

Offline hdrox88

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • First Sergeant
  • The Wrecking Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:46:01 PM »
Quote from: "TheStenGun"
I always favor plastic pistons. I would prefer shredding one of those rather than a nice set of gears. Also, they are lighter weight and easier to modify.
Although I haven't done much gearbox work, my spidy sense tells me...........what he said^
While metal teeth on a piston may last longer, now it is going to cause wear on the gears. Plastic teeth would cause little to no wear.
Don't ever heezjack a Heezjacker!
€√εΓ¥ßσÐý Ð↕Σ§, ßµτ ⁿΩ┬ €√εΓ¥ßσÐý ╚│√ε$

Fighter Town Paintball & Airsoft

Offline GhostSOCOMM4

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://wolfpacktacticalsblog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 09:51:10 PM »
Quote from: "rune89"
OK so I'm just pricing out a new set of internals for a project gun. Is it worth the money going with a metal toothed piston or not? Also has anyone had experience with padded piston heads? Do they change the fps or any other affects. What are the pros and cons of each?

Project guns are so fun. :P

Offline stealthmaster14

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:26:15 PM »
My gun shoots around 380-400 fps with .2s (haven't gotten it chronoed in a while) at 23-24 rps and I'm only using an Element clear piston.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfjsE99eOrM

Piston
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/upgrade-part ... arbox.html

Piston has been holding up fine for a while now.  If you are running a moderate set up (M120 spring, at around 25 rps) you really don't need a very strong piston.  Just remove the 2nd tooth and adjust the AOE.  Once you start getting into high speed or high fps set ups (or a mix of both) you are going to want a piston with quite a few metal teeth.  

Something similar to this:
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/upgrade-part ... -blue.html

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »
The king arms POM piston is a very lightweight piston that deals with high fps well, but high fps tolerant pistons aren't good in high rof systems.

The element pistons with 1 metal teeth will take mildly high fps (up to 400 or so reliably, and up to 450-500 for 5-10k rounds) and high rof. I like them for most guns... cheap and reliable.

Of course, if you just want a piston you never have to worry about failing unless you set up your gearbox poorly, the system supercore is supposed to be the bee's knees.

Offline Zuul99

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 10:42:38 PM »
A good Poly. piston would be just fine Area 1000 is a decent starter but if you have money go for the Systema Super Core Piston 'tis a Beast
My apartment is infested with koala bears. Its the cutest infestation ever. Much better than cockroaches. I turn the lights on and a bunch of koala bears scatter. I\'m like, come back! I want to hold one of you, and feed you a leaf. -Mitch Headberg

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 11:15:02 PM »
Quote from: "Zuul99"
A good Poly. piston would be just fine Area 1000 is a decent starter but if you have money go for the Systema Super Core Piston 'tis a Beast

You mean the System (without an A) Supercore? Like the one that was mentioned in my post less than an inch above yours?

Offline Bowser

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bowser484
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 04:29:31 PM »
I put this piston in my M16 because I had torn the teeth (in one case it was all the teeth) off four regular pistons in a row.

Offline airsoftguy01

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »
Quote from: "bowser4848"
I put this piston in my M16 because I had torn the teeth (in one case it was all the teeth) off four regular pistons in a row.

Sounds like a problem with your AOE, not necessarily a cheap piston. That, or you are running too much power for a "regular piston"

Offline Zuul99

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »
Quote from: "axisofoil"
Quote from: "Zuul99"

You mean the System (without an A) Supercore? Like the one that was mentioned in my post less than an inch above yours?

Oops your right i thought it was "systema" but i look it up and it is system. we thought about the same part I guess great minds think alike
My apartment is infested with koala bears. Its the cutest infestation ever. Much better than cockroaches. I turn the lights on and a bunch of koala bears scatter. I\'m like, come back! I want to hold one of you, and feed you a leaf. -Mitch Headberg

Offline Bowser

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 10:36:29 PM »
Quote from: "airsoftguy01"

Sounds like a problem with your AOE, not necessarily a cheap piston. That, or you are running too much power for a "regular piston"

By regular piston, I mean a polycarb body piston with polycarb teeth. The four I tore apart were Systema, CA, Mad Bull, and Area 1000 (which I think is also Systema).

My M16 uses a Systema M120 complete gearbox, Systema magnum motor, and a 9.6v 4200mah battery.

Offline stealthmaster14

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 02:31:35 PM »
Quote from: "airsoftguy01"

By regular piston, I mean a polycarb body piston with polycarb teeth. The four I tore apart were Systema, CA, Mad Bull, and Area 1000 (which I think is also Systema).

My M16 uses a Systema M120 complete gearbox, Systema magnum motor, and a 9.6v 4200mah battery.

Well that would do it...lol  

Magnums are serious motors.  If you don't adjust the AOE and you are using a magnum motor with a high discharge 9.6v battery, it will rip pistons up.  I'm guessing your ROF is around 25+ rps?

Offline Bowser

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 03:45:47 PM »
I haven't measured the ROF but it shoots fast. It looks like a laser beam when I use my tracer unit.