Author Topic: Reloading  (Read 4437 times)

Offline xXmusicimpactXx

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Reloading
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:10:43 AM »
So, I'm finally about to replace my high cap mags and invest in some mid caps. This means I'll be switching out magazines several times throughout the course of a game, rather than how it is currently, where I might reload one time before the game is over. I've never really been able to come up with a solid (meaning quick, easy, and effective) system of swapping out magazines mid-skirmish, so I was wondering; how do you reload? Do you use a dump pouch? Do you keep an empty mag pouch on your vest for placing the empty ones? Do you drop it to the ground and worry about it after the heat of battle has passed? I'd love to know how some of the vets on ASAZ swap out there mags, or any ideas that anyone might have on the subject. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline poinierdude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Reloading
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »
you have to have a dump pouch pretty much.  Putting it back into the pouch is just way too time consuming.

Offline xXmusicimpactXx

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:50:59 AM »
Even if it's an open-top pouch?

My biggest concern with the dump pouch is mobility/maneuverability. Seems like it would flap back and forth and constantly knock against your body whenever you run. And when you have to go prone or something, wouldn't you worry about the mags falling out of the dump pouch?

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:31:35 AM »
Quote from: "xXmusicimpactXx"
Even if it's an open-top pouch?

My biggest concern with the dump pouch is mobility/maneuverability. Seems like it would flap back and forth and constantly knock against your body whenever you run. And when you have to go prone or something, wouldn't you worry about the mags falling out of the dump pouch?

If it's loaded up, yeah, it flips and flops. If you mount it somewhat high on a PC or tac-vest, you won't really notice. As far as retention, there are a number of ways to solve this. Most dump-pouches have a bungee cord at the top you can use to reduce the size of the top opening, which helps a lot... and a velcro covering that pretty much eliminates the possibility of your mags escaping (but makes dropping your next mag a little harder). There are also dump-pouches that have an elastic funnel type of thing (think wasp trap) that expands when you drop a mag, but won't let stuff come out on it's own.

If I'm holding a position, I'll drop them on the ground occasionally, especially if I'm prone and I would have to manually force them into the pouch anyways (for AEGs, at least, I NEVER drop GBB mags on the ground).

As with most things, you must find a compromise between security/retention and speed of access or ease of use.

Offline TheBoy988

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=560727808
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 01:39:09 AM »
Reloading under pressure is certainly an art in its self. The best thing i can say about it is practice...
Personally i run 7 30 round mid caps and a small pistol style speed loader. it gets me through most engagements. If i know i'm going to be running a longer mission during a bigger operation i will my magazines, speed loader and a small bag of ammo with a rubber band around it to keep noise down. I also put some kind of marking on my magazine because when i do a speed reload i often leave them on the ground. Ill pick them up after i get tagged or the fire fight is over and friendlys are offering me cover.

Before worrying about reloading procedure you must first make sure your equipment works for you. Make sure your magazines are faced so the mag curves to your right when in your pouches.

I utilize the beer can grip when i reload. This means when i go to pull my magazine from my pouch i turn my hand so my palm is facing away from me and my thumb is towards the ground. I grab my magazine with a firm grip then pull the mag out of its pouch, rotate it up then into my mag well.

As far as reloading magazines goes there is two kinds of reloads to consider while airsofting. A tactical reload and a speed reload.

During a speed reload your under fire and have to change magazines as fast as possible. This is, for that reason, the hardest to master. I often times will eject my spent magazine by pushing mag release with my fire control hand (right hand) and rotating my gun clockwise to fling the mag from my gun. At the same time i use the beer can method to reload with my action hand (left hand). Takes me maybe 2 seconds.

During a tactical reload i use my dump pouch (holds 4 mags, 5 if i cram it in tight). Spent mags are put in dump pouch while i reconsolidates magazines that are furthest from my center to the front making them easier to find during a speed reload. I also utilize the beer can method here as well. If you have time and cover feel free to reload your spent magazines with your speed loader and place them just behind your other magazines.

The most important thing to remember is constancy and repetition. Build up the muscle memory. Do this till you can do it blind folded and under pressure. If you can reload while blind folded then you don't have to look at your gun. That means you don't have to lose situational awareness!

You should also get a hold of Magpul's Art of the Tactical Carbine. They go over all kinds of things from beginner tactical stuff to advanced stuff. Its a great movie and you can learn a lot that transfers to airsoft.
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Tactical-Carbine-Chris-Costa/dp/B001JEQPKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1295166271&sr=1-1

The following link is the dump pouch i use if your curious what i mean by small dump pouch. I highly recommend Cordura made products.
http://www.ebairsoft.com/foldable-dump-pouch-p-2363.html

This is the plate carrier i use. It also has the dump pouch attached to it.
http://www.ebairsoft.com/cordura-land-cirss-vest-delux-version-p-2467.html

If you have any questions shoot me a PM
-Chip

EDIT:
If you haven't already purchased them DO NOT go cheap on these! Your best investment next to replacing the shorts you used your first time on the field is your magazines. I cant stress this enough.
"Don\'t fire and correct! Fire correctly!" - ME

Offline xXmusicimpactXx

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:07:47 AM »
So it seems I'm not the only one who will just drop my mags to the ground in a heated situation, so at least I got that part right :P.

Looks like just about everyone uses a dump pouch of some sort, so perhaps I'll invest in one soon. I saw one at APD in ACU camo (goes with my uniform) that I took a brief look at that; that could be something to consider.

Kind of an odd question but...is there such thing as a drop leg dump pouch? Basically the same thing as a pistol holster, but with a dump pouch there instead? That would definitely cut down on wobbliness if the bottom is secured around my leg. That, or maybe I could custom rig something up to reduce wobbliness....

@TheBoy988 Haha I'm actually left handed so my mags face the other direction for me. Most annoying thing is the mag pouches on my vest are on the left side, so I have to reach across with my right hand to pull out a magazine, making it a bit more difficult than it should be to swap out mags quickly. I'd love to buy a customized MOLLE vest, but they're expensive ><. Ah, the curse of left handedness.... Anyone wanna trade vests?  ](*,)

Offline thegovernator

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
    • FOX COMPANY ARIZONA
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:32:45 AM »
Quote from: "xXmusicimpactXx"
So it seems I'm not the only one who will just drop my mags to the ground in a heated situation, so at least I got that part right :P.

Looks like just about everyone uses a dump pouch of some sort, so perhaps I'll invest in one soon. I saw one at APD in ACU camo (goes with my uniform) that I took a brief look at that; that could be something to consider.

Kind of an odd question but...is there such thing as a drop leg dump pouch? Basically the same thing as a pistol holster, but with a dump pouch there instead? That would definitely cut down on wobbliness if the bottom is secured around my leg. That, or maybe I could custom rig something up to reduce wobbliness....

@TheBoy988 Haha I'm actually left handed so my mags face the other direction for me. Most annoying thing is the mag pouches on my vest are on the left side, so I have to reach across with my right hand to pull out a magazine, making it a bit more difficult than it should be to swap out mags quickly. I'd love to buy a customized MOLLE vest, but they're expensive ><. Ah, the curse of left handedness.... Anyone wanna trade vests?  ](*,)

They do make drop leg dump pouches, just google it. Sometimes websites don't even list them as dump pouches but can be used as such.
Everybody get down!!! Their trying to kill me! YEOWWW!!!

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:01:30 AM »
dump pouches on your leg are difficult to use as dump pouches in my experience.

Also, if you have anything in them, they're guaranteed to shift forward and back (at least inside the pouch) while walking or running.

Offline G1zm0

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sg12.org/Roster_files/G1zm0.htm
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:20:46 AM »
I personally use a dump pouch on my reaction side when i have time to reload. All my mags are labeled so if I need to reload fast and use the method taught in the Tactical Carbine DVDs I can always come back and find them after the game, at the end of the engagement or I get hit.

Offline TheBoy988

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »
With regards to the leg dump pouch. I wouldn't recommend using them. Actually, i wouldn't recommend having anything attacked to your leg. In my experience i found having everything you need for eliminating some one right up front above your waist is where you want it. everything you don't need to eliminate some one should be put on your back or in some kind of pack. On the other hand the giant leg dump pouches are a great place to put snacks and an ice pack...

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
I DO love leg holsters though. There's nothing loose to wiggle around (if your holster is properly fitted), and it keeps my pouches/slings/whatever I may be carrying out of the way. I use a high-fps gun, so I have to be able to transition to my secondary a bit quicker if someone surprises me.

Offline thegovernator

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
    • FOX COMPANY ARIZONA
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 12:17:34 PM »
In the end its all about personal preference and getting use to your set up. I like to keep mine on my front on the left on top of my m4 molle pouch. Others like to keep it on their belts in the front, side or rear. One of my friends has a drop leg dump pouch and who knows he might end up changing it. The thing about your gear you will be messing with it and moving things around for a while so figure out what u like and go to games and see what others have. Best of luck
Everybody get down!!! Their trying to kill me! YEOWWW!!!

Offline TheBoy988

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »
thegovernator is right, It's all about you. We can keep this thread going for ages but when it comes down to it, it's at all about you. Gear is kind of like a finger print. You can give exactly the same gear to 2 different people, give it a week and they will both be different. Just remember, if your sitting around bored or waiting put your vest on, empty your magazines and practice reloading.

Offline Dayton

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Quote from: "thegovernator"
One of my friends has a drop leg dump pouch and who knows he might end up changing it.

Yup, I use this one: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDeta ... =MOLLE-013

So far I like it, it stays where it's put (once you get the leg strap adjusted right). I Can't say I like it better than other Dump Pouches, cause I haven't used anything else. I just got this one cause I didn't want to use the space on my chest rig, plus I have long arms, and can reach it just fine.

Not going to tell you to go either way, since this is all I've used, but now you know, there are drop leg pouches.
Fox Company | Tournament Locks
Main: JP Polarstar, Magpul PTS ACR, ARES Tavor TAR-21
Side Arm: KWA HK45, KWA Umarex H&K MP7
Other: AT-4, Defusable Bomb, Mortar

Offline Toast

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 08:55:57 PM »
Get a medium sized drop pouch with a quick close feature like bungee pull cords. If you use light mags such as MAG's it hardly bounces around at all. Put it low at your 4 o'clock if you're right handed. This is the setup that works for ME. The quick pull close is a very nice feature. I've lost more mags out of my pouches than my drop with this setup.
"Oderint Dum Metuant"