Author Topic: Relocating an airsoft gun  (Read 3729 times)

Offline ash808boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private
    • View Profile
Relocating an airsoft gun
« on: March 08, 2005, 01:43:18 AM »
When I go up to college in Arizona, i plan to bring my airsoft stuff up with me, one way or the other.  What would be the best way?  Sending it through the mail w/ orange tip and all markings covered or get it cleared by the airport and bring it on the airplane through that 'extra baggage' kind of thing where you would put a larger item than usual?  

I was just wondering if anyone knows what would be safer, cheaper, and just legal.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by ash808boy »

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 06:51:05 AM »
Are you living on or off campus.  If you're living in a dorm I wouldnt keep it there... not sure what the school policy is BUT schools are pretty strict about guns, pellet guns, etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by andyhinds »

Offline RickEJ6

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 07:19:39 AM »
Well, if you mail it, its coming from HI so I dont see it would go through customs, so orange paint and trademark coverings are not needed. Rick
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by RickEJ6 »
\"Do not hit if it can be avoided, but never hit softly.\"

T. Roosevelt

Offline Ultor

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 09:10:06 AM »
I'd go with Andyhinds on keeping them off campus.
Besides somebody will just steel or break them. You can go on planes with them. I think you just follow the same rules as real fire arms.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ultor »
The Black Sheep of AA

Offline delta_echo

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 09:37:55 AM »
What school are you planning on attending? Here at the University of Arizona, a kid was kicked out of his dorm merely for the possession of (and I'm not kidding) "sharpened chopsticks". Another was kicked out just a few days later for practicing with numchucks on campus! Neither one had done anything threatening - just the mere possession constituted them being kicked out of their dorms. So, unless you're living off campus, better find a better place to store all your airsoft!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by delta_echo »

Offline Lightning_Man

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 12:59:13 PM »
If your going to school at ASU I will happily store them for you, im 2 miles from campus.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Lightning_Man »

It is what we do,
when we believe we can do no more\' that makes us who we are.

Offline Gantaliano Hoff

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 03:21:37 PM »
Hmmm, I may go there too. Don't know if I'll live on campus though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Gantaliano Hoff »

Offline Chayote

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://chayotemu.com
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 04:53:39 PM »
To be safest I'd call up/go to the airport and ask about putting the airsoft guns in your baggage. I'd expect for safety you'll need them in a hard case and locked (like real ones) before you enter the airport, but may or may not need the tag saying it's a firearm. But to be safest if you're taking them on the plane definately talk to the people that will decide if it's allowed or not. Depending on the hassles with that shipping in a box with the gun semi-dissassembled should be fine, may help to include some documentation with it that it's not real etc just in case, but as Rick mentioned customs shouldn't worry about it bc/it's already in the US.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Chayote »
\"We think Coyotes howl at the moon, but really they laugh with their friend.\"
\"To catch a thief you can hire a thief, to catch a master thief you must be a master thief.\"
MOSKVASPEZNAZ

Offline Greg

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 05:07:35 PM »
If you have your own room you could just get a huge, square, soft-sided guitar case that says fender or something on the side to get them in and out of the building. ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Greg »
-Greg of Christian\'s Team

Offline Hawk

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 05:21:48 PM »
If you do check them with the airlines, don't let them put a tag on the bag saying that there's a firearm in there. I read an article in a gun magazine a while back and it said that it is not required by you to put a tag on, and all it does it tell some thief that you've got a gun in there. :shock:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Hawk »

Offline Gantaliano Hoff

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 07:28:06 PM »
Yeah, that's all you'd need is some jerk ripping off your nice AEG in the middle of the airport.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Gantaliano Hoff »

Offline stoneaglewolf

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tacticalmilsim.com
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 08:09:05 PM »
Everytime we have transported airsoft guns for our Law- Enforcement training courses we had to declare them. Because if you don't they will be taken if the bag is X-rayed and the system detects a gun. Only once did we not have to delcare them and that was on our first trip in 2003. We argued the second time and lost. I have traveled about 10 times last year with Airsoft equipment.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by stoneaglewolf »
-Stone

http://www.TacticalMilSim.com
  Honor the Fallen SPC Marc A. Anderson 1/75th Ranger KIA 3/8/02, AF

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 08:31:13 PM »
Quote from: "delta_echo"
a kid was kicked out of his dorm merely for the possession of (and I'm not kidding) "sharpened chopsticks". Another was kicked out just a few days later for practicing with numchucks on campus!  !

Dam! Those Ninjas Bart Trained in Europe have all ready made it into the U.S. and infiltrated our schools!!!!  Think of the Children!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline ash808boy

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 10:15:02 PM »
Thanks a lot for the feed back guys.  I thought at first no one was gunna reply to it.  lol.  but i'm gunna go to northern arizona university...anyone live around flagstaff?  anyone know if there is a self-storage thing near by?  Thanks for the offer lightning man, but ASU seems too hot to live @.  

And yes, I will be dorming on campus.  Yea, i think i will get a single dorm room just in case i keep it in the dorm so my roommates friends don't go looking through my stuff yea.

Law- Enforcement training courses we had to declare them.
[/size]  What do you mean by delcare them?

....anyway, i don't think it would be conspicuous carrying a SAS bag through the campus right?  lol.  So you guys think fatigues are banned from the campuses as well?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by ash808boy »

Offline RickEJ6

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 10:30:37 PM »
Fatiuges banned?  Nope.  Not in free America.  Maybe over there in Cali though.  In order to fly with an airsoft gun it must be treated as a real fiream. IE, in a locked hard sided case, unloaded, and declared as a firearm before you have it checked in. Rick
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by RickEJ6 »
\"Do not hit if it can be avoided, but never hit softly.\"

T. Roosevelt