Author Topic: multicam painted M4  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Surplus man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2005, 10:55:25 PM »
your right i did say dropping alot on a bdu set seems silly.  i was just asking for the sake of it, for all i knew it could have been 70 bucks a set and that pattern would definitly be worth that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Surplus man »
I saw this plug was in my wall here and then i noticed that your house was glowin like THE FRICKIN SUN! So, i uh put 2 and 2 together here and decided that your pissin me off...

-carl

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2005, 12:00:36 AM »
I can attest to the invisibility of anyone wearing multicam...A few weeks ago I thought Raith was a few inatimate objects a few times when we were playin, good thing he was on my team. Besides, Multicam looks pretty damn stylish.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline stoneaglewolf

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tacticalmilsim.com
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2005, 03:01:54 PM »
Well Raith is stylish... Damn he's a sexy man!

Anyway, on the topic of rifles painting... Does any other country paint thier rifles? AK?, MP5?, etc...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by stoneaglewolf »
-Stone

http://www.TacticalMilSim.com
  Honor the Fallen SPC Marc A. Anderson 1/75th Ranger KIA 3/8/02, AF

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2005, 03:06:54 PM »
Quote from: "stoneaglewolf"
Anyway, on the topic of rifles painting... Does any other country paint thier rifles? AK?, MP5?, etc...

I have seen pics of Desert Camo-painted G36's used by the KSK.  Mikey posted a link to a picture awhile ago from MP net.

The brits also paint their gats.  Rather than a country thing, I think it's a unit-by-unit basis, just like in the US.  We've all seen painted rifles in US service, but I don't even want to think about what would happen if I took a can of Krylon to my M16/M203! :shock:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline delta_echo

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2005, 05:13:52 PM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
Quote from: "stoneaglewolf"

I have seen pics of Desert Camo-painted G36's used by the KSK.  Mikey posted a link to a picture awhile ago from MP net.

The brits also paint their gats.  Rather than a country thing, I think it's a unit-by-unit basis, just like in the US.  We've all seen painted rifles in US service, but I don't even want to think about what would happen if I took a can of Krylon to my M16/M203! :shock:

I also would wonder how that would affect the heat dissapation of the weapon. My guess is it would be a no no with krylon.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by delta_echo »

Offline stoneaglewolf

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tacticalmilsim.com
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2005, 05:19:16 PM »
I would think it would just cook the paint off before it would have any effect.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by stoneaglewolf »
-Stone

http://www.TacticalMilSim.com
  Honor the Fallen SPC Marc A. Anderson 1/75th Ranger KIA 3/8/02, AF

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2005, 05:22:26 PM »
You know what looked really cool? When i improperly layed down my first can of paint on my m4 last summer, I had to wipe it all down but some was still on there and in cracks and it had a very "dirty" look to it, like it had just got back from the sandbox, might be an inspiration.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2005, 05:45:01 PM »
Quote from: "busta_cap"
You know what looked really cool? When i improperly layed down my first can of paint on my m4 last summer, I had to wipe it all down but some was still on there and in cracks and it had a very "dirty" look to it, like it had just got back from the sandbox, might be an inspiration.

I see what you mean, but. . .no.

Rifles that just got back from the sandbox are cool because they just got back from the sandbox.

Faux finishes on rifles is about the worst exemplification of poseur I can imagine!

With regards to heat dissipation, I doubt it would have a noticeable effect.  Were talking a fraction of a millimeter here.  Several coats might make your barrel maintain a few degrees longer than without, but that will hardly affect anything.  

If you want to fret about rifles and painting them, do it when you get around the sights, mag well, and bolt carrier/cover.  You could put 3+ coats of krylon on an issue M4 and it won't behave much different, but you guys wanna worry! :lol:

Like Mark said, the paint cracks off after use.  Around the barrel (and on the barrel itself), and the front of the upper receiever, it gets very hot from firing.  With normal spraypaint, this causes the paint to become brittle and lose it's elasticity.  It then comes off in small flakes.  

Some cleaning solvents can cause paint to come off, but CLP has little effect once the paint is fully cured.

Offline Pvt.Snowball

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2005, 06:14:12 PM »
kinda seems like a hard pattern to replicate on an M4
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Pvt.Snowball »
We Fight and then we die....what a hell of a life.

Offline Patty o' Brian

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2005, 06:00:05 PM »
when you painted the rails did it become harder to put accessories on? just a question before i paint my gun.
ThX!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Patty o' Brian »

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2005, 06:51:34 PM »
I believe that there is a difference and I have herd that it makes sliding hardware a bit tougher to put on and take off but I have not realy noticed. Most of my hardware do not slide on (PEQ, EOTech, rail covers, carry handle etc...) and so it is not a problem. I also do not slide most of my stuff around a lot and the one thing I did (TD foregrip) was tight to begin with and became a bit tighter after paint but not by much.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline Patty o' Brian

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2005, 05:17:36 PM »
ThX! i think since most of my accesories will be sliding ill just paint rail covers.

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2005, 06:58:03 PM »
Quote from: "Patty o' Brian"
ThX! i think since most of my accesories will be sliding ill just paint rail covers.

The only things I can think of that slide on are M3/M6 lights and a few foregrips.

Out of curiosity, what will you be putting on your gun?

Unless you apply the all-weather Glidden latex housepaint with a roller, you should be fine with even a few coats.  Use spraypaint and test fit your accessories in-between coats if you are concerned.

If you look at most of the painted guns on these (and other) forums, you will see that they have some sort of rail system.

Offline Patty o' Brian

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2005, 07:28:40 PM »
Well seeing as how i have a springer i will be putting on a really crappy vertical foregrip.

The reason i have a springer is because why get an AEG and not be able to use it hardcore untill im 18.

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2005, 07:30:28 PM »
Quote from: "Patty o' Brian"
Well seeing as how i have a springer i will be putting on a really crappy vertical foregrip.

The reason i have a springer is because why get an AEG and not be able to use it hardcore untill im 18.

Paint it then!