Author Topic: Night Vision Proof  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Surplus man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Night Vision Proof
« on: March 28, 2005, 10:52:07 PM »
im sure every ones thought about it at some night game or another, what is the best way to keep yourself out of the green glow of nvgs. i own a set of that pixely grey stuff from the 90's. what other kind of camo patterns are out there to protect against night vision? post images of it in daylight and through nvgs if possible.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Surplus man »
I saw this plug was in my wall here and then i noticed that your house was glowin like THE FRICKIN SUN! So, i uh put 2 and 2 together here and decided that your pissin me off...

-carl

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 11:00:03 PM »
uhh...Who the hell has a set of PVS-7's for airsoft?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline Surplus man

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 11:02:50 PM »
hehe vince my fellow sa-tac member has them gen 3s. if he has them there must be other with them.
I saw this plug was in my wall here and then i noticed that your house was glowin like THE FRICKIN SUN! So, i uh put 2 and 2 together here and decided that your pissin me off...

-carl

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 11:03:57 PM »
No, I don't think so. They cost upwards of 2.7k from what I know.

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 11:05:40 PM »
I am no expert, but wasnt that one of the reasons they came up with digital paterns?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by IcePlatinumSky »

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 11:06:57 PM »
Why does it matter? I would much rather get NVG with built in IR capability, so you can see through foliage and really see what's out there.

Offline Lightning_Man

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 11:31:28 PM »
Quote from: "busta_cap"
Why does it matter? I would much rather get NVG with built in IR capability, so you can see through foliage and really see what's out there.

Problem with that is to everyone else with NVGs you look like you have a flashlight strapped to your head. They see you a mile away and your done. Trust me on this one, I have seen it in the real world and you almost feel bad for the poor SOB who thinks he is high speed and is about to take it.

Passive is the ONLY way to go. Then you use IR chem lights and stuff to illumiant your perimiter or your fire sack or whatever.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Lightning_Man »

It is what we do,
when we believe we can do no more\' that makes us who we are.

Offline Surplus man

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 11:46:53 PM »
yeah he payed 3k for em hes a crazy old dodger

-carl

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 12:53:34 AM »
To answer the original question, some ghillie suits are good for camoflaging your signature to IR cameras and Night Vision.

Ice, the newer digital camo patterns ARE meant to be effective for this, but they are also treated with a chemical that reduces their signature.  It's not just the fabric.

Busta, wait until LC4 and see what some of these dudes have.  You really won't believe it!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline creed_DET5

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 01:01:36 AM »
Most untreated cloth is pretty obvious when seen through NVGs, even through Gen III units.  Subtle differences in color don't show up.  Synthetic fabric such as Gore-Tex damn' near glows.  So does cloth that is freshly laundered or that has been washed with detergent that contains bleach.  The special treatment on military-issue BUDs is pretty sensitive, though.  If you've washed them with detergent, don't count on it working anymore.

-Chris
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by creed_DET5 »
DET-5, detailed to SWAIRTAC

\"Well, you\'re either part of the problem, or your\'re part of the solution, or you\'re just part of the landscape.\"  -Ronin

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 01:11:04 AM »
Quote from: "creed_DET5"
Most untreated cloth is pretty obvious when seen through NVGs, even through Gen III units.  Subtle differences in color don't show up.  Synthetic fabric such as Gore-Tex damn' near glows.  So does cloth that is freshly laundered or that has been washed with detergent that contains bleach.  The special treatment on military-issue BUDs is pretty sensitive, though.  If you've washed them with detergent, don't count on it working anymore.

-Chris

Same with clothes that have been starched.

Offline Greg

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 03:26:23 AM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
Busta, wait until LC4 and see what some of these dudes have.  You really won't believe it!

The Cimmerians won't be there, though.  :(

They had the best stuff of anyone at LC3. They had a few whole fireteams with nice NVG's. Funny thing is, the night game isn't even worth points.   :-s
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Greg »
-Greg of Christian\'s Team

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 11:19:00 AM »
Nothing beats Lance's MICH-mounted Gen III and Surefire Millenium with IR filter!

Oh, and the MICH was real.

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 01:52:15 PM »
For being a fan of older gear, you sure don't know much about the BDUs. There is a pattern that is OD green with a light green grid running about it. It was designed to make you blend in with the look that you see with NVGs(that grainy look). It doesn't work that well with newer gen but it works great with 1 and 2.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 03:15:18 PM »
Quote from: "Firehead"
For being a fan of older gear, you sure don't know much about the BDUs. There is a pattern that is OD green with a light green grid running about it. It was designed to make you blend in with the look that you see with NVGs(that grainy look). It doesn't work that well with newer gen but it works great with 1 and 2.

Read the thread, Ian.

He mentioned those in his first post in this topic, and several times in other threads.