Author Topic: Anyone want to start a local Airsoft team?  (Read 6185 times)

Offline Jags87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Anyone want to start a local Airsoft team?
« on: May 12, 2005, 08:21:12 PM »
Ok I know iam yet still a newbie, but i would like to have someone help start a team with me. Iam located in mesa. The other teams i know of are in Tucson or not near me.  I would really like to get this going so i could get into airsofting more. Hopefully get to know some of you and maybe go play a couple times a month or more. So if anyone has any intrest or input on this please let me know. Later guys, Jags87
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Jags87 »
Good deployment, but even better too be home

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 09:49:15 PM »
AA pretty much IS a team.  It's always the same group of guys at the games, so there really is no purpose.  I've toyed with the idea of a new team, but no one followed through with it, and no one responds after awhile.

Pretty much the only "team" is SWAIRTAC, but they're from Tucson, and I think of them as the SO-AZ detachment of AA.  They come to our games, we go to theirs.  Same guys all the time.

If you want a specialty team, however, like MOSKVASPESNAZ you might be in luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline Greg

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 10:22:09 PM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
AA pretty much IS a team.

Well, in many ways, it is a loose, unofficial type of team. However, I've tried to explain to countless people that there is no point of having real teams like in sports such as paintball. AA is a big club and we just split up into two sides and play. There is no such thing as an airsoft tournament or competition. It just doesn't work very well.

The only reasons for having a team are (1) to organize a group of people that are already friends into a team to train together frequently so that you can actually work together well on the field, (2)  to have a group with matching uniforms, usually based on a theme, or (3) to feel good about yourself because you had the super-original thought of creating a team and you made yourself the "leader."

(If you need examples-I'm thinking mostly of SWAIRTAC for number 1, MOSKVASPESNAZ for 2, and ACOG for 3)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Greg »
-Greg of Christian\'s Team

Offline Jags87

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Ok ur right
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 03:36:08 PM »
ok u guys are right i give up, later

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Ok ur right
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 03:39:47 PM »
Quote from: "Jags87"

Don't be discouraged bro.  Come to any game posted on these boards, and you'll have a good time!  After awhile, you'll find yourself pairing up with the same battle buddies, and playing with the same folks game after game.  

The friends I've made through AA are some of the best I've ever had! :D

Offline chainsaw

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://amsog.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 03:46:56 PM »

Don't be discouraged bro.  Come to any game posted on these boards, and you'll have a good time!  After awhile, you'll find yourself pairing up with the same battle buddies, and playing with the same folks game after game.  

Some games hes not 18 yet  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by chainsaw »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 03:56:03 PM »
Quote from: "chainsaw"

Some games hes not 18 yet  :lol:

That doesn't matter.

There are plenty of games that welcome minors.  If he can hang with the older players, and provide a decent challenge, he'll be a worthy addition to AA once he turns 18.  

Just like other minors-turned-AA-studs like Firehead, Long Trang, Studdermonkey, etc.  They played whenever they could, held on until they were old enough, then started ripping it up with the older crowd as soon as they turned 18.  

There's always a game for somebody!

Offline Farslayer

• Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 03:57:59 PM »
Sarge is right, don't get discouraged!  Come to a few games, meet some people, get some numbers or email addresses....there are several "groups" who play at least twice a month up there.  Remember that being on a team can be more difficult and time consuming than just suiting up and playing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Farslayer »
Benn

Offline chainsaw

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 04:00:12 PM »
Christian dont get me wrong  I just wanted to make a smart a$$ quote but I am no chairsofter I play once a week its only 45 mins away but it is still fun.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by chainsaw »

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 06:27:28 PM »
Christian dont get me wrong  I just wanted to make a smart a$$ quote but I am no chairsofter I play once a week its only 45 mins away but it is still fun.
Yah, uhh..I thought you just started playing like..Two weeks ago.. So that makes you one hardcore non chairsofter. :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 01:52:07 AM »
Quote from: "busta_cap"
Yah, uhh..I thought you just started playing like..Two weeks ago.. So that makes you one hardcore non chairsofter. :lol:

:lol:

Offline Gantaliano Hoff

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 09:26:21 AM »
Although, one plus of local teams is that they do advance the growth of airsofting in a more consentrated area, (if the team is any good, and they actually care about including people).

So any team people that would be willing to work to set up is a good team.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Gantaliano Hoff »

Offline stoneaglewolf

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tacticalmilsim.com
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 06:48:00 PM »
Personally, I think there are more reasons to develop teams in Airsoft than Paintball. The whole idea of Airsoft is grounded in a mil-sim environment which by default requires teamwork to be successful.

The ONLY way Airsoft will ever get better is to develop teams that focus on the true nature of teamwork and not competition. The lack of teams as AA gets bigger is more likely to spawn cheating since there is less loyalty self-discipline, or responsibility in large groups. AA has worked in the past because it was small, but as it grows we will see more issues.

However, the biggest error in developing team is that everyone thinks teams are only for competitions. An effective team is a group with a similar foundation influenced towards an objective.

I have been teaching teamwork and leadership since 1988 and I have never found an instance where proper team development had a negative effect. It is always the foundation (Training/ Common Bond), direction (leadership), or the objective (goal) that causes the problems.  

Teamwork fails in three areas:
 - Lack of a common bond amoung members
 - Lack of positive influence or direction
 - Lack of proper or fullfilling goal

So GO FOR IT! but get to know everyone first.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by stoneaglewolf »
-Stone

http://www.TacticalMilSim.com
  Honor the Fallen SPC Marc A. Anderson 1/75th Ranger KIA 3/8/02, AF

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 07:04:10 PM »
I second that!!! One of the reasons we started MOSKVASPETSNAZ was due besause we wanted a serious milsim team with teamwork and discipline. The fact it was a Russian team theme was realy just the icing on the cake!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by IcePlatinumSky »

Offline Jags87

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
IF anyone cares to start a team please contact me
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2005, 07:20:49 PM »
Ok i really do want to start a team guys, so if any of you seriously want to help me start a team that would be awesom just contact me asap, and we could set up a metting some where. I would really like to get things rolling in airsoft since i have yet too see a game a a 4 month newbie. Show jsut pm or catch me on AIM, later, Jags87