Author Topic: Predator Hunting  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 09:35:53 AM »
Try big griz in Alaska, with only a 30-30 lever action. They hunt you as much if not more than you hunt them! I recall several sleepless nights back to back with a buddy while a pissed of sow charged us over and over. (Yes we were friggin scared). She got dead the next day - seems someone left some stinky bacon on a trail and she stepped into the open to eat it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Doc Hollywood »

Offline Farslayer

• Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 11:27:58 AM »
Quote from: "Mooncruiser"
...Only thing I ever kill, I eat. I don't kill for "sport".

Coyotes:  Good eatin'!

Plus, they make swell hats....

EDIT: SPELLING
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 11:47:18 AM by Farslayer »
Benn

Offline gixser13

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 11:37:52 AM »

[smilie=armata_pdt_34.gif]  or unless its trying to kill me first!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by gixser13 »

Offline chainsaw

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 11:40:26 AM »
I too eat what I kill I love the taste of deer!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by chainsaw »

Offline Reaver

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://teamfe0.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 11:50:09 AM »
I agree with Andy.  Typically it's better to hit a Safeway than hunt specifically for food.  Most game in our region tends to be a bit lean... especially in the hot seasons.

This is especially true for varmints.  I'd shoot one, just to help keep thier population down... but I certainly would not eat one.  Especially since they typically kill the sick or weak prey.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Reaver »

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 12:14:32 PM »
Quote from: "gixser13"

[smilie=armata_pdt_34.gif]  or unless its trying to kill me first!

Article I found on cost of hunting.

Is hunting for food a good way to save money on grocery bills?

Almost never. When all costs are considered (i.e., license fees, equipment, food, lodging and transportation), hunting is not an economical way to provide food. Statistics gathered by the University of Maryland's Extension Service revealed that hunters spent more than $51 million to kill 46,317 deer in Maryland in 1990, approximately $1,100 for each deer killed. Assuming that the meat of each deer killed was preserved and eaten, and that each deer provided 45 lbs. of meat, the cost of venison in 1990 in Maryland was $24.44 per pound. For most hunted animals, such as ducks, doves, rabbits, squirrels, and crows, among others, use for food is now minimal, and the expense of equipment far outweighs the value of any food that is obtained. For the vast majority of hunters, hunting is recreation, not a means of gathering food.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by andyhinds »

Offline gixser13

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 12:50:22 PM »
I use  to hunt all day everyday back 22 years ago when I live in Monks Corner S.C. Yeah I was 12 years old. I hunted back then not for sport but to eat. Well, I fished also. Yeah, I was also a Poor redneck kid back in those days. 12-14 squirrels a week  and there hardly any meat on them little suckers.    

So not knocking sport hunters but when you hunted to eat its hard for me to hunt for sport now

I hated it but loved it all at the sametime.

Now my grandmother She could skin anything you brought home and make it taste good!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by gixser13 »

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2005, 09:39:31 AM »
I plan on doing some Mountain Lion hunting soon. I have never done it before. What would be a good caliber to use?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by IcePlatinumSky »

Offline chainsaw

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2005, 09:52:04 AM »
Do you have a gun now? If not I would recomend a 30-06 Or 7mm the 30-06 drops quite a bit but has good takedown power for a not so expensive shell. Remember it isnt all in the gun get good optics also I use a leupold mark VI and it works nicely. Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by chainsaw »

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2005, 11:44:37 AM »
Quote from: "IcePlatinumSky"
I plan on doing some Mountain Lion hunting soon. I have never done it before. What would be a good caliber to use?

Get a .243 I've killed more animals with that caliber than any other.  Good trajectory, selection of bullets, light recoil, won't damage the pelt and ammo is cheaper than higher caliber rounds.

Give up on Lion hunting, unless you know of one in an area, have dogs, or are an expert predator caller, you chances of seeing one are extremely slim.  Start off small, coyotes are plentiful and easy to call in, go on to foxes, then bobcats, etc.  I have a couple of tricks that work really well for beginners and make that first kill an easy one.  Let me know and i'll PM you the info.

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2005, 01:03:35 PM »
Quote from: "IcePlatinumSky"
Use the X107, that should take it down, and gut it all at the same time..
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2005, 02:42:37 PM »
A trick I used in the past was to get little fluffy mechanical dogs (the same kind you see at the mall at X-Mas) paint them light brown, put ten of them out at a marked distance (say 100yrds) from your 'hide' start using a wounder rabbit predator call.  When the predator comes in, it is looking for movement when it spots the rabbits flipping around it goes running in for the easy meal.  When the predator gets about 20' of them jumping around they do what I call the "WHAT THE F#CK" look.  They hear the motors running, and stop.  Thats your 3 second shooting window before they take off.

Offline Farslayer

• Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2005, 03:04:03 PM »
You can also get a crow or duck wing and hang it on a piece of fishing line from a branch....of course you have to shoot a duck first....but it catches the wind nicely.  movement will bring them in...also, don't forget about using stray kittens.  just kidding.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Farslayer »
Benn

Offline leadmagnet

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2005, 04:53:04 PM »
There is something spiritually rewarding about going through all the basics and hunting dove or something else with your son or a close friend and preparing a meal of it for everyone the next day.  

I don't normally get off on killing things just for the sake of killing things.  Unless of course we're talkin about a big azzhole or some such.  Heheh.  (Just kidding).

Lead
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by leadmagnet »

Offline Surplus man

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2005, 11:49:16 PM »
you could kill a ferrel cat and string it up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Surplus man »
I saw this plug was in my wall here and then i noticed that your house was glowin like THE FRICKIN SUN! So, i uh put 2 and 2 together here and decided that your pissin me off...

-carl