Author Topic: Fort Ord Jail  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Fort Ord Jail
« on: August 17, 2005, 03:00:12 AM »
I was talking to nate just now and telling him about the paintball/airsoft place that I used to work. I started looking through pics of the place and I thought that I would share it with you guys...

Some of you may have heard of it. It's that old, shut-down jail on Fort Ord, on the central coast of Ca. I worked for the paintball field that started that place as a paintball, and later, airsoft field. I moved with the owner from a woodland location to a warehouse, then a few months later, we got the gold mine- the jail. It was kinda useless at first because a jail is designed to have bottlenecks and to not flow smoothly. We had to knock out sections of wall, destroy doors, and cut bars out to create multiple routes around the site. Lots of fine-tuning was required, such as using sections of carpet taped around sharp corners and put down around the hard, bare floors for traction.

This was the coolest place I've ever played or even had a chance to wander around. It's a huge facility, laid out in a big "T" shape, with multiple yards, guard towers, two floors, high security areas, huge holding cells, admin areas, and a big kitchen. It took a while to really turn it into a nice place, but it was well worth it. The airsoft use of the place was mostly just club-type stuff like AA using it after the paintball business was shut down for the day while I was there. That was my first opportunity to play airsoft, since they didn't need refs, and I was already there. They just loaned me a gun and I'd join in, which was nice after reffing paintball games all day. Dave Dollarhide started to run some games there, eventually, and it appears that he is the main user of the facility now.

I'm going to blatantly hotlink some pics from his site now to give you guys a feel for the CQB/MOUT facility that I put a lot of time into helping create. (These were all taken well after I left, so I don't actually know any of the people involved. There appears to be a big mix of squared-away-types and some anti-studs, too. Just ignore the people and check out the location.)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Greg »
-Greg of Christian\'s Team

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 09:02:52 AM »
So, uh, when's the OP? :lol:

Looks totally sweet!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Mooncruiser

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 11:00:27 AM »
You bet! I'd make the drive for a weekend there.
Chip
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Mooncruiser »
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline Mugen

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 11:37:42 AM »
Wow.  That place is cooler than anything that I could come up with in my head.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 12:57:11 PM by Mugen »
It was once believed that Chuck Norris actually lost a fight to a
pirate, but that is a lie, created by Chuck Norris himself to lure more pirates to him. Pirates never were very smart.

Offline pythonline

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 12:55:12 PM »
Pretty damn cool, It would be well worth the drive to play there.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by pythonline »
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Offline Greg

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 02:23:57 PM »
Quote from: "Mooncruiser"
You bet! I'd make the drive for a weekend there.
Chip

Takes about 12 hours to drive... No thanks. I'm not really sure what the place's current condition is or who controls it now. I'm going to be in the area next week, maybe I'll go take some pictures or something.

Offline Mooncruiser

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 03:54:17 PM »
That's cool. Long drives are second nature to me. I average a 300mi trip each weekend to see my sweetie in the Valley. :D
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline studdermonkey

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 06:12:46 PM »
That's cool. Long drives are second nature to me. I average a 300mi trip each weekend to see my sweetie in the Valley. :D

Aww, how adorable!

whipped whipped whipped whipped whipped whipped whipped whipped whipped whipped whipped whipped whipped whipped whipped
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by studdermonkey »
كافر
Nate!

Offline RangerBob

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/c48/rikki185/?sc=4
Sweet
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 07:08:18 PM »
Nice looking place, I'd pay you for a video walkthrough...not really, but it'd be nice to see one.

I played out in california for awhile, never any fields set up as a business.
If any know where Simi Valley is (near LA, north kind of) it sits next to antoher city called moorpark, and right near where the city limits reach was an awesome field.  Lots of bamboo crawl ways.  Some people put some serious elbow grease into building bunkers and what not across it, one of the cooler things about it was how it transitioned from bamboo and sand to trees and dirt, it was almost a clear cut line making it fairly easy to run two games (especially if pain ballers were in the AO).

One day it's my goal to buy some land and get a field started, i've never been to one like that though.  I have tons of ideas but suppose i should go to some others to get an idea how they run, check some business models and what not.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by RangerBob »
A team kill is still a kill.....

Offline woody

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
recall
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 10:57:20 PM »
I remember lots of paintball games in that place; the floor, all polished concrete used to get deathly slippery in spite of the throw rugs; the scenarios used to pretty well settle into the same challenges; get through a heavily guarded narrow hall, stuff like that. Scary looking place, for sure with all the bad ass wire around the yard. Looked like the last prisoners left just yesterday. Typical commie northern Cal we'd get major flak from the neighboring horsey place about how we were scaring the horses.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by woody »

Offline Falcon_Phx

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
Ft Ord Jail
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 07:51:32 AM »
I was stationed at Ft Ord, God so many Years ago, seems like an eternity, would love a chance to get back and see the old place, Last I heard the entire Fort was closed down.  God the memories, The Ex wife, the nightmares LOLOL.

Falcon
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Falcon_Phx »
"Take what You Can, And Give Nothing Back"

Offline Mooncruiser

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 10:31:36 AM »
Anyone ever play (cough, ahem,) paintball at Sat Cong Village (Now called S.C. Village, politically Kali Korrect)?

It is (was?) in Chino, just N. of Riverside. A huge open air field with woods, a river, G.P. tents (Korean war era) and bamboo bunkers. Also a wrecked Chickasaw helo in the middle of the field.

If it still exists, wonder if they have airsoft yet?
Chip

(EDIT) I found their website.. Changed the field a lot, neat stuff, no airsoft listed. maybe I'll give 'em a call...

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline Greg

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 10:55:06 AM »
Anyone ever play (cough, ahem,) paintball at Sat Cong Village (Now called S.C. Village, politically Kali Korrect)?

It is (was?) in Chino, just N. of Riverside. A huge open air field with woods, a river, G.P. tents (Korean war era) and bamboo bunkers. Also a wrecked Chickasaw helo in the middle of the field.

If it still exists, wonder if they have airsoft yet?
Chip

(EDIT) I found their website.. Changed the field a lot, neat stuff, no airsoft listed. maybe I'll give 'em a call...

We used to play there a lot when we lived in LA. When we started there, they hadn't built a speedball field yet. Eventually, we decided to never go back after a few bad incidents with crazy asshole paintballers. By that point, there were more speedball fields than normal ones and their entire focus was on those. It's a real shame. The whole game changed overnight and in doing so attracted a lot of "extreme sports" assholes.  :roll:

Offline Lightning_Man

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 11:05:06 AM »
OK, I say we all pitch in a little (OK maybe a lot) so I can get my pilots liscence and a transport plane, then we can all fly out friday evening once a month (or more) and fly back in sunday. Who's in?

This should do it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1944-DC- ... dZViewItem
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Lightning_Man »

It is what we do,
when we believe we can do no more\' that makes us who we are.

Offline Mooncruiser

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 11:18:25 AM »
Dang! ..and you guys rag me about flying a ultralight..

She'd be good for skydiving though.. Wouldn't wanna land in her  :shock:

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team