Author Topic: My first series of upgrades.  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Phyrst

• Trade Count: (0)
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
My first series of upgrades.
« on: March 29, 2006, 05:59:13 PM »
Hey all, I hope everyone is well.

I'm going to take a week or 2 off from playing so I thought it would be a prime time to do my first airsoft gun mods.  I have done quite a bit of research and gotten quite a bit of input from many players in the know.

Although I think I have figured out what I want to do, I thought that I would post here so perhaps if I missed something or have something wrong the Airsoft Gurus' could give me a heads up.

I have 2 guns and plan on doing the same upgrades to both.

They are;  A CA36C(about a year old) and a CA M15A4 SPC.(less than a month old)  So far I love both guns and have no complaints, except for the obvious that comes from stock guns.

The upgrades planned and the parts that I have found to order are as follows;

-Systema M120 upgrade spring-
-Systema Silent Piston and Cylinder Head-  Question here, do I need both the cylinder and piston Head or just the piston head?
-Prometheus EG Barrel- 363mm length, 6.03mm bore(for the M15A4).  Says it fits M4A1, M4RIS, SR16, and SG551.  Will this work on my CA M15A4 SPC?  
-Prometheus EG Barrel- 247mm length, 6.03mm bore.  Says it fits P90TR.  Will this work on my CA36C?

Am I getting the right goodies?

I am running 9.6V minis' on the CA36C so that should be good right?  I am runnin' 8.4 large on the M15 so I will have to get 9.6's for that right?.

Lastly;  I have never cracked open an AEG before so I plan on having others do the work fo me and I have a few peeps in mind and I will PM them or talk at them.  But if there are any volunteers PM me with how much you charge ONLY if you will let me watch!  I want to have each gun done by a different person so I can learn as much as possible.. I want to be able to do this stuff myself in the future.

Thanks in advance,
Charlie
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Phyrst »
The softer you make your words, the easier it is when you have to eat them!

Sierra 1

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 06:04:50 PM »
Those upgrades sound about right. You don't "need" to get a 9.6 for the M15, but it would make it run better, less chance of the gearbox locking up or some gay shit.

Where in Phx do you live?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 06:08:38 PM »
Silent heads usually come as a set.  If not, you will need BOTH the piston head and cylinder head.  There is a different shape to the silent heads that fits Male-to-Female with the cylinder head.  

You will need a 9.6v pack to puch an M120 effectively.  In addition, I'd upgrade your packs to some with higher mAhs to compensate for the extra strain and allow you to maintain your current battery life/usage.

The upgrades you've listed will suffice, but I'd throw in a bearing spring guide for each gun as well.  They keep everything running smoothly inside the mechbox by providing bearings on either side of the AEG spring.  (the silent head set will already have one).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline nosmo

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 06:38:05 PM »
I'd get a systema 4 slot cylinder, they're not required, but the help a lot (at least for me).  Correct me if im wrong, but they help you ROF and make the gearbox run more smoothly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by nosmo »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 06:58:42 PM »
Quote from: "nosmo"
I'd get a systema 4 slot cylinder, they're not required, but the help a lot (at least for me).  Correct me if im wrong, but they help you ROF and make the gearbox run more smoothly.

For high-speed sets it's a good idea because it allows air to enter and exit the cylinder more quickly and evenly and reduces piston suck.

For a gun like his, the stock ported cylinder will do fine.

Offline Phyrst

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 07:17:21 PM »
Thanks a ton for the quick responses.

Firehead;  I will get a 9.6 for the M15A4, I don't want any gay s***!!!  I live in N PHX, 19th Ave and T-bird, ish.

azsarge; 9.6 with higher mAh's, copy that.  Also I will get the set with both piston and cylinder heads.  That will come with a bearing spring guide correct?  But that brings up another question,  why do they sell the piston heads seperatly?  Do they wear/break quicker than the cylinder heads?  And if so is it OK to replace only the piston head and not both?

Nosmo;  I thought about other upgrades as well as new cylinders, but I am going to stick with simple stuff at first.  Mr.  Miyagi says "First walk then Fly!"  Simple and Redundant for me to start, but thanks!

Thanks again all, and be well,
Charlie

Sierra 1

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 07:38:46 PM »
It's not OK to use one and not the other, they are 2 parts that are made to fit together.  The standard piston and cyl heads are flat.  Silent piston heads are conical (male, convex, etc), silent cyl heads are concave, female, etc.  

Some sets may include a bearing spring guide, I'm not sure.  

Silent piston heads, by design, have a bearing. That places one bearing at the front of the spring, but you'll need a bearing spring guide for a bearing at the rear of the spring.

Offline Daytr8er

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 09:18:13 PM »
I'm not sure what your stock guns are shooting FPS, but remember the 400 FPS rule for the AA games.  All of those upgrades might have you over that number.

-Heath
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Daytr8er »
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. . . and I\'m all out of bubble gum"
-Rowdy Roddy Piper

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 09:20:57 PM »
They won't.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 09:23:49 PM »
Quote from: "Vince"
They won't.

Not by a longshot.  You'll have 15 or so FSP left to spare if you do it right, maybe more if you fuckitup.

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 10:35:55 PM »
Yep, plenty of room. If he adds a tightbore he might be a tad close(4 or 5 FPS off from my experience).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline Phyrst

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 05:35:51 PM »
Well, I am sure glad that I posted here before ordering my parts.   8)

Add to Cart:  2 Systema/ICS Bearing Spring Guides V2, is that correct?

I was under the impression that these upgrades would keep me below the 400 fps level.  In the freaky off chance that it put me over, I would drop the tightbore barrel until my spring lost some compression.

Again, thanks alot for the input!!  You guys Rock!!

Be Well,
Charlie

Sierra 1

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 05:41:32 PM »
That is precisely why the AA boards exist.

No BS info, on the spot!

Keep us posted, Charlie.

Offline Phyrst

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 07:33:54 PM »
Ahoy,

I'm not reviving this old topic for no reason.  Just a heads up and an update.

The upgrades were done as stated by Whacker55, and my M15A4 SPC has performed flawlessly for 7 months now, and I go out alot.  However the Bearing spring guides were not needed.  I think that it was a CA upgrade that snuck in under the radar.

Vera(is it wrong that my gun has a name?) shoots consistantly 360 fps with .20s and peaks out at 380.

I also added a high discharge 9.6v 3300mah battery and the rof is very nice.

If Vera shoots like this forever I will be a happy Airsofter.

Anyway, I am planning my next Gat and wanted to thank all who gave input and ask if there are things that I should consider different than what I had done to Vera?

Be Well,
Charlie

Sierra 1

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 10:24:23 AM »
I assume you will be going for a full size Classic Army M15A4 like I have right? I'll be watching this topic as I too will be repairing/upgrading my AEG as well.

So far the list of replacement/upgrade parts are as follows:

Guarder flat steel gear set (standard ratio)

Systema Duracon Piston Head

Systema M120 spring

Systema Metal Hop Up

Systema Precision Barrel for M16A1/A2/VN

The list is not set in stone, its just something I came up with ont he spur of the moment last night.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by deathbydanish »
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.