Author Topic: Max FPS for matches/games?  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Proteus [KIDON]

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private
    • View Profile
Max FPS for matches/games?
« on: July 31, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Starting a build on a new spring-powered "sniper" platform and wanted an answer as far as how hot can a gun shoot before it's deemed too dangerous for matches/games. This build is going for range so it's gonna need a little power behind it (expected to use +.30's). If there are speed restrictions, are there rules generally for these guns that state no shots within a certain range (ie, must resort to a secondary gun within 75ft of target, etc)?

Thanks in advance!
Custom HK416 DMR

Offline Bob Z Moose

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Second Lieutenant
  • The $$60,000,000,000 Man
    • View Profile
Re: Max FPS for matches/games?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:49:50 AM »
It's up to the person/group putting the game on, but it's generally good to stick to around 550 fps w/ .2 BB. The minimum engagement distance is typically 100' with a sniper weapon.

As far as the build goes, a good barrel and a good hop up with take you further than heavy fps. If you're working off of a Chinese import sniper, you're dealing with pot metal construction. It's going to wear faster and faster when you start dropping in heavy springs. If you're going to be using .3's best to stick to the stock spring.
Team Manaconda
Don't dick with us!

Offline Exarach

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:26:58 AM »
Starting a build on a new spring-powered "sniper" platform and wanted an answer as far as how hot can a gun shoot before it's deemed too dangerous for matches/games. This build is going for range so it's gonna need a little power behind it (expected to use +.30's). If there are speed restrictions, are there rules generally for these guns that state no shots within a certain range (ie, must resort to a secondary gun within 75ft of target, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

What are you trying to build.
These builds can be fun animals, but money traps if you don't plan.
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?

Offline Proteus [KIDON]

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »

Just a fun gun, to see what I can make happen. The base is a Well AW-338 MB08D, but all internals upgraded (spring, guide, piston, cylinder head, sear, seals, trigger box, hop up, TB, etc) and a few external mods for stability, comfort, and consistency. Other than that; a new paint job, decent optics, and I think I'll be good.
Custom HK416 DMR

Offline Exarach

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »

Just a fun gun, to see what I can make happen. The base is a Well AW-338 MB08D, but all internals upgraded (spring, guide, piston, cylinder head, sear, seals, trigger box, hop up, TB, etc) and a few external mods for stability, comfort, and consistency. Other than that; a new paint job, decent optics, and I think I'll be good.

Ok, what parts did you manage to put into that well.......
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?

Offline Proteus [KIDON]

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »
None yet, that's why I wanted to ask about velocity issues in games. Why do you ask? I mean, I understand it's a cheap gun and all but will that sh*t not hold up in there?
Custom HK416 DMR

Offline Exarach

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
None yet, that's why I wanted to ask about velocity issues in games. Why do you ask? I mean, I understand it's a cheap gun and all but will that sh*t not hold up in there?

As someone who has built and used snipers ranging anywhere from $300-$1500, I would advise you to choose a different platform. I am not sure if the base system of the Well is compatable with an APS2 or similar base, which would make sourcing quaility parts a bit of a job.

There are "Budget" and "Build as you go" snipers out there, it is generally advisable to select a middle-high quaility base if you are building a sniping platform.
If you want to make accurate shots to 250-300 and over, you will need some serious time, and a bit of cash.

If all you are looking to do is to have something to run around and shortdick your freinds with stupid high fps, and hao kewl snipr are, you may just be happy with the lower cost look-alike <-90% of people on the field

Also, as a serious note, make sure you actually like it, and the role, before spending a dime. Most rifles are horrendously innacurate, and I personally despise airsoft spring rifles. They will end up being the most consistant, vs cost, just do to the power methoud they use, spring to air volume, but when you start getting into a spring size that will produce 450-550 FPS, you will need to be very proficient in arm- wrist muscle action. (Many of our players appear to be set in regards to this  ;D)

In short,
If it were me, I would buy a gas or AEG DMR/Sniper, and if I had to buy a spring rifle, I would buy a Marui APS, or a CA M24.
Used, they cost about as much as a new Bar-10/similarly upgradeable platform, and will produce far better results.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:51:07 PM by Exarach »
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"

Offline Proteus [KIDON]

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
Trackin'. Good looking out.
Maybe stick with my current (Echo 614)? Would you know if I could do the G&P full metal swap since they're the same type (M4 platform, v2 gearbox)?
Custom HK416 DMR

Offline Exarach

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »
Trackin'. Good looking out.
Maybe stick with my current (Echo 614)? Would you know if I could do the G&P full metal swap since they're the same type (M4 platform, v2 gearbox)?

They are, but it probably isn't worth doing. Just get some shs stuff and a lipoly for the 416
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"

Offline Proteus [KIDON]

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »
I need a new gearbox, trigger assy, ect. I blew the old one to pieces and my daughter got into the parts layout and now I can't even tell what's missing. Plus, I don't like the Echo receivers "cheap" feel. See where I'm coming from?
Custom HK416 DMR

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »
I wasn't aware G&P made a 416 receiver.

Offline Exarach

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 03:45:48 PM »
I need a new gearbox, trigger assy, ect. I blew the old one to pieces and my daughter got into the parts layout and now I can't even tell what's missing. Plus, I don't like the Echo receivers "cheap" feel. See where I'm coming from?
If your going to pay for new recievers, and Gearbox,  buy a new G&P rifle. Then you aren't left with a mess, worry or hassle. I am a huge fan of G&P, and you can't go wrong.

Used GB with all internals from G&P....probably $50, quaility metal body? $30-$100+
Then you have to fit and deal with any issues that arise. If you think the E1 feels cheap, definately go G&P, solid guns, decent prices.
I also believe the Echo 416 has proprietary external parts, but I could be wrong.
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"

Offline Proteus [KIDON]

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »
I also believe the Echo 416 has proprietary external parts, but I could be wrong.

Meaning all the parts around the receiver will only fit that receiver? I mean, the actual H&K 416 is an M4 variant with only the gas system being the major change. Therefore would the M4 (External dimensions) no be the same? If so, swapping the receivers from 416 to M4 wouldn't make a difference, right? Please, correct me if I'm missing something. lol
Custom HK416 DMR

Offline Exarach

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »

Meaning all the parts around the receiver will only fit that receiver? I mean, the actual H&K 416 is an M4 variant with only the gas system being the major change. Therefore would the M4 (External dimensions) no be the same? If so, swapping the receivers from 416 to M4 wouldn't make a difference, right? Please, correct me if I'm missing something. lol

Googletyme.
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"

Offline Proteus [KIDON]

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »
Googletyme.

Easier said than done. The Echo 416 is discontinued so finding specs is a feat.
Custom HK416 DMR