Author Topic: Walther P99 .40SW and concealed carry?  (Read 12103 times)

Offline nukeduster

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 03:12:17 PM »
Glocks rock because you can basically just swap out the barrel and use a different mag and change calibers at will.

I have a 32c, and can swap in a .40sw barrel and even use the same mags and shoot .40 ammo, or swap mags and barrels and shoot 9mm for training/while at work.

I like the compensated barrel too, not sure why the other guy doesnt think it safe, it slightly increases on target repeat accuracy with a higher recoil round like the .357 sig.

the .45 GAP round available in some glock models is a pretty amazing round, same ballistics as a .45acp but smaller round size so smaller grip size.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by nukeduster »

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 03:29:55 PM »
Quote from: "nukeduster"
Glocks rock because you can basically just swap out the barrel and use a different mag and change calibers at will.

I have a 32c, and can swap in a .40sw barrel and even use the same mags and shoot .40 ammo, or swap mags and barrels and shoot 9mm for training/while at work.

I like the compensated barrel too, not sure why the other guy doesnt think it safe, it slightly increases on target repeat accuracy with a higher recoil round like the .357 sig.

the .45 GAP round available in some glock models is a pretty amazing round, same ballistics as a .45acp but smaller round size so smaller grip size.

A ported barrel, in self defense applications, is dangerous.

It can send hot gasses and residue into your eyes, if shooting from presentation; it is disorienting, if not blinding, at night.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Daytr8er

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=77

This was designed for consealed carry. Its been deburred so that it doesn't snag on ones clothes. Plus its a Sig ... :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Daytr8er »
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. . . and I\'m all out of bubble gum"
-Rowdy Roddy Piper

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 09:57:55 PM »
Of course it's a Sig, so it's also over priced.... :)

Unless you consider $1k a bargain.  No, I think I will take a USP Compact instead and spend the extra $200 on ammo.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by XavierMace »

Offline LaserRacer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2007, 07:10:04 AM »
Sorry for the necro...but it's my thread and I have finally come to a decision. After much research and careful consideration (mainly to the level of my wallet) I came to the decision to go with the Springfield XD Service in .45ACP.  It may in the end turn out to be too large for concealed carry, but for my immediate needs I felt that it was what I was looking for. Thanks guys for all of your help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by LaserRacer »
\"Me fail English, thats Unpossible\" - Ralph Wiggum

Offline Giland

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2007, 12:26:10 PM »
Adding my two cents late I know.
Since you are looking at going into a specific line of work that would have you carrying a handgun, have you done any research to see if they have requirements or restrictions?
For example, they may not allow some calibers due to penetration issues, types of bullets, etc. There might be both minimum and maximum standards that a gun and round have to meet before being allowed.

I believe you mentioned airlines. You might check the ejection path of the casings from the gun. It is generally something right hand people don't think about, but I am left handed, so am very aware of where those hot casings are going. In a tight environment like an airplane, it is something to think about.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Giland »

Offline LaserRacer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2007, 08:57:20 PM »
Thanks for your input, I did consider what the airlines would have me carrying (I have several friends in the program...they aren't allowed to say much about it). So unfortunately I was unable to determine what the constraints were for firearms in the program.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by LaserRacer »
\"Me fail English, thats Unpossible\" - Ralph Wiggum

Offline VanillaGuerrilla

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2007, 10:17:16 PM »
I gotta throw in my 2 cents. Glock 36 (.45 ACP). Small frame, big bore power. Low mag capacity (6+1). Not much less than a 1911 though. I've put over 900 rounds through mine without cleaning it, and encountered no problems.
What stance do you shoot from Laser Racer? I find the Chapman stance much more effective than the Weaver when shooting my Glocks.
If you learn to "rock" a glock trigger correctly, you can stop it right at the point of reset, enabling faster follow up shots.
Just one man's opinion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by VanillaGuerrilla »
\"We have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke.\"

Offline cburnett

• FNG
    • View Profile
Re: Walther P99 .40SW and concealed carry?
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 12:36:58 AM »
All I have to say about this topic is that if you are uncomfortable carrying a loaded gun with one in the chamber with the hammer cocked, with proper safeties in place, you should not be carrying a gun, especially concealed.  I don't think that many people think and consider the emotional/mental power and preparation it takes to use a gun in a dynamic situation.  Before buying a gun "just to carry it" to feel that rush to your ego, consider and ponder on the fact if you truly can take another's life when by sheer accident/coincidence you are in a moment in time when that kind of force is needed.

Guns are great, and a lot of fun, but I fear that too many people buy them and carry them just to feel "cool."  Consider if your truly ready to make that decision in your life that will affect you forever and all those you love, and then I think one is ready to buy, train and prepare for that once in a life time moment that no man longs for.

And if you do decide that this responsibility part of yours to carry, buy a Glock and make it a .357 Sig or above.  Not a pansy 9mm.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Polie

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 10:45:41 PM »
theres only 1 choice, the Springfield .45XD Compact.  It uses 10rd mags for concealed carry as well as 13rd mags if you can hide it, backup, or for open carry.  It shoots very nicely and they come with allot of nice accessories.  I have put over 4k round through mine and had only 3 ftf and 1 smoke stack.  the ftd was caused by the lead swc.  The only upgrades I would suggest you get is a 4# trigger and polish the feed ramp.

EDIT: I would not go with the .45GAP for reasons that its a much higher pressure case, which mean that there MAY be reliability issues.  BUT the REAL factor is, the price of Friggin ammo for it!!! lol  ammo for the ACP can be had anywhere ALLOT cheaper, while the GAP can be a PIA as well as the general price is much hight.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:55:15 PM by Polie »
"Dude! Your ride is sick as fuck!"

Offline Polie

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 10:51:37 PM »
Quote from: "cburnett"
All I have to say about this topic is that if you are uncomfortable carrying a loaded gun with one in the chamber with the hammer cocked, with proper safeties in place, you should not be carrying a gun, especially concealed.  I don't think that many people think and consider the emotional/mental power and preparation it takes to use a gun in a dynamic situation.  Before buying a gun "just to carry it" to feel that rush to your ego, consider and ponder on the fact if you truly can take another's life when by sheer accident/coincidence you are in a moment in time when that kind of force is needed.

Guns are great, and a lot of fun, but I fear that too many people buy them and carry them just to feel "cool."  Consider if your truly ready to make that decision in your life that will affect you forever and all those you love, and then I think one is ready to buy, train and prepare for that once in a life time moment that no man longs for.

And if you do decide that this responsibility part of yours to carry, buy a Glock and make it a .357 Sig or above.  Not a pansy 9mm.

you need to grow up and smell the shit around us.

I did have a guy try to mug me once.  luckily I was on my bike with a BIG ass lock and chain that I used to break his jaw with.  That sob is still eating through a tube and next time someone jumps me I will be prepared to defend myself.

They cops are there to clean up the mess, not to defend you.  I dont know where people started thinking that the police are here to hold your hand and kiss you good night.  They can NOT respond fast enough to protect us.  One must take ownership of their life and be prepared to defend yourself in the gravest of times.

Offline Maestro

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 11:41:48 PM »
Quote from: "Polie"

you need to grow up and smell the s*** around us.

I did have a guy try to mug me once.  luckily I was on my bike with a BIG ass lock and chain that I used to break his jaw with.  That sob is still eating through a tube and next time someone jumps me I will be prepared to defend myself.

They cops are there to clean up the mess, not to defend you.  I dont know where people started thinking that the police are here to hold your hand and kiss you good night.  They can NOT respond fast enough to protect us.  One must take ownership of their life and be prepared to defend yourself in the gravest of times.

you're both right, why the animosity?

Offline Polie

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 12:05:24 AM »
Quote from: "Maestro"
Quote from: "Polie"

you need to grow up and smell the s*** around us.

you're both right, why the animosity?

listen, I pray that I NEVER have to pull it.  Yes I have had my hand on the the grip acouple of times, but I always find ways to get out of the situation.  

agree with the guy when he was talking about being 'locked and cocked' then they should NOT be carrying one.

Now to the .357 myth9mm myth.  Look at your loading data, they are basically the same; that is, they both are NOT good tactical cartridges.  Theres a reason why the military went from a .38 special to the 1911 .45ACP.  Then some numb nut decided to to BACK to the 9mm. (about the same as a .38 Special), and now they are going back to the .45.  Also special forces have continued to use the .45 due to its stopping ability

I dont want to go into the whole history and why ALL of the changes have happened and why, but I will stated this.  In WWI our gi's where unloading their sidearm .38's in the the chest of the tribal warriors and Japs killing them, but not before they stuck a spear in the chest of the gi.  When they faced the .45ACP it put their ass DOWN.  Now in a defensetactical situation you need to be able to put that SOB down and I mean put them down NOW!  The reason for the 9mm was the idea, "Oh we can carry more ammo which means more kills." they where wrong.  Its the same reason the military is looking at 86'ing the 5.56 and going to a 7.62.  

I dont feel like typing anymore. I have been up to long and 5am comes very fast.

Oh and I dont mean to appear to be abrupt.  With online communication allot in lost.  We do not have non-verbal communication to help guide us to the true meaning and understanding of the speaker.  When talking face-to-face we have non-verbal communication to go on, but when online we lose that, hence to reason smiley's where invented.  It can be difficult at best to get a handle on the situation, especially when someone from a high-context society trys to communicate where non-verbal communication is non-existent.  I ment no dis-respect and apologize if you where offended.

Offline Giland

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 10:50:14 AM »
9mm is not a good tactical round?
Then why is the most popular submachine gun in the world the MP5, a 9mm weapon?

I am currently reading "The Finishing School" by Dick Couch.
This book is about what happens AFTER BUD/S. For this part, he is following class 2-02
He says, and I quote,
"The MK23 is a special 45 caliber pistol made to SOF specifications by Heckler & Koch. Both of these weapons(I skipped including the 357 revolver-GB)have their advantages, but are of limited use for SEALs.The secondary weapon in the teams, by issue if not by choice, is the Sig Sauer P226, a 9mm pistol".

Some people prefer the 45 and yes, it does have more stopping power than a 9mm, but the difference is something like 2%. In other words, in 2% of engagements, the 45, with one round, stops what the 9mm didn't with only one round. However, the 9mm can give 16 rounds vs the 7 rounds of a 45. 2% more stopping power, or 9 more rounds. Personally, I chose the extra 9 rounds.

Offline Maestro

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 12:24:14 PM »
Quote from: "Giland"
"The MK23 is a special 45 caliber pistol made to SOF specifications by Heckler & Koch. Both of these weapons(I skipped including the 357 revolver-GB)have their advantages, but are of limited use for SEALs.The secondary weapon in the teams, by issue if not by choice, is the Sig Sauer P226, a 9mm pistol".

This is absolutely correct.  The SEALS have a contract for special production 226's, which are available for civilian purchase.  Some operators do prefer the .45, as I do(i'm obviously not an operator by the way), but empirical evidence shows the higher capacity 9mm to be a better option for tactical situations.  As for the .38 in military service, it followed the .45.  There were issued .45's and .38's in Viet Nam, then after only .38's.  THEN they moved to the 9mm relatively recently.  My very first 1SG told me about using a .38 when he joined.

Not sure what they used in WW 1,  you might be right that it was a .38.  But my Grandfather tells me that our soldiers weren't just collecting Lugers for fun in WW 2, they were using them instead of their issued .45's.  They just liked them better.  Of course, that was just my Granddad's observation, not exactly a historical fact.