Author Topic: Thoughts on Patches  (Read 2173 times)

Offline jax archillies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Patches
« on: June 07, 2007, 01:40:47 AM »
ok, so I've seen a  few pictures, or rather a lot of pictures that have kids running around wearing army style uniforms with recruiter patches, master aviator patches, high rank, airborne and ranger patches, all displayed wrong, and or crappy piss poor management of their appearance wearing the uniform.

what is every ones thoughts on the "general air-softer" in my opinion, disrespecting the uniform in this way?

- should persons wearing the uniform wear it correctly, ie: shown how to roll sleeves, patches on the correct shoulder, or in the right place, rank allowed?  i can understand if its their fathers or whatever, but have some respect, you know....

thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by jax archillies »
Jay Zarecki

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 01:58:07 AM »
This thread got done already as best as we can do it -- search back to about last year, I think it was even called like 'Patches in Airsoft'.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 02:16:21 AM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 08:28:54 AM »
[...waiting for response from Firehead...]

:lol:

I don't remember what I said in that last thread, if anything, but now I see no difference between wearing patches in a fucked up way and wearing your kit in a fucked up way.  Looking like a piece of shit doesn't require any additional "flair."

It only bothers me when some dickbag wears some shit hoping the average joe will think he earned it.  I'll be first in line to out those motherfuckers. :D

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 09:06:26 AM »
some of it comes from the surplus shops....

people dont shave their BDUs before the sell them to surplus places and kids buy it and keep it like that... or they wear their father's stuff sometimes...

but yeah.... some of them just sew shit on...

go to a National Op like that and see what happens....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Doc Hollywood »

Offline jax archillies

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 11:48:43 AM »
a few good examples of what im talkign about...

{EDITED OUT}  i had soem great example pictures, but no need to call anyone out, except i DID notice that its pretty much all kida at MTT games, look around and youll see what i mean.

either way, ive always told the kids i see with, for example the ranger and airborne tabs too far BELOW and crooked on their sleeves to take em off, or Ill take em off for you.  usualy than SHOW them the proper way to wear said patches.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by jax archillies »
Jay Zarecki

Offline stoneaglewolf

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tacticalmilsim.com
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 12:30:09 PM »
As an individual I would rather people not wear military patches unless they earned them. However, if a team wants to specifically reenact a military unit then by all means do it, but do it right.

As for posing, civilians will almost always think your in the military if you only wear a camouflage shirt and pants. Patches don't mean much to them cause they don't know what they mean anyway. So patches or not don't go around acting like you earned it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by stoneaglewolf »
-Stone

http://www.TacticalMilSim.com
  Honor the Fallen SPC Marc A. Anderson 1/75th Ranger KIA 3/8/02, AF

Offline Kilo11

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/Darklighterstheory
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 12:31:38 PM »
My thought is is your doing like a history heavy game or something like that, then its ok to use military patches, however if your flying SF tabs or ranger tabs and you have not had the honor of earning said tabs, then why the hell to you own them ? or for that fact flying them, if you yourself didnt earn then you shouldnt use them. Actually Jax i was about to bring that up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Kilo11 »
Quote from: \"Pheonix 797\"

Anywho, good luck and remember Airsoft is about safety and integrity. If you make us look bad we hunt you  \":lol:\"

1st Squad, Marines, Allied Forces, Op Bulldog II

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:12:02 PM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
[...waiting for response from Firehead...]

:lol:

Fuck you  :lol:

My biggest thing is rank, I can't stand when I see kids sporting ranks they don't have(now, I'm somewhat guilty, they were my dads DCUs with rank sewn on, and he still needed them). If I see 15 year old kid sporting a ranger tab, I'd just choke him out, then ask him why he didn't remember his training from Ranger school(I'm also assuming combatives is a part of Ranger school).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 02:56:29 PM »
two words....

Nick Maas ....

example of how severe getting called out can be....

now he isnt welcome at any Best of USA events....

you have to be pretty dumb to pose as 2/75th Ranger at an OP where REAL Batt Boys are going to be....

All that said.... there isn't anything we can do really other than call a douchebag a douchebag... once you actually put your hands on one of these posers they get you for Agg Assault since you had a "weapon" (AEG) in your possession ro control....

fuck a bunch of legs anyway...

Offline Sergeant First Class Keenan

• Sergeant Major
  • AZ Army National Guard - "Protecting What Matters"
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Army National Guard
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 03:09:05 PM »
Being prior service Marine Corps, I have flipped out when I see people who have not earned the right to wear MY uniform with an Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Be it the old Cammies, Desert Cammies, or even the new Diggies' (Marpat). If you don't rate to wear the EGA you shouldn't period.

Now being in the Army National Guard and served overseas with them I also don't wanna see people that haven't earned the unit patch, skill tab, crest on a beret, whatever it is on a uniform.

I'm sorry but if you wanna wear MY uniform (any branch of the service) and wear it wrong, thats a no go, if you want to wear it with stuff you didn't earn, that to is a no go.

But if you earned it, wear it. its yours. you rate it. be proud of it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Malicious Ind »
Sergeant First Class Keenan
Marketing & Advertising Manager
AZ Army National Guard
Cell: (602) 377-6322

Offline Uchiha Itachi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 07:23:56 PM »
I'm not military nor do I wear any patches. My view is that I didn't earn it and wearing one would be an insult to everyone that has.

I do have the german flags on each arm though since its flecktarn. I can't get them off without destroying the shirt. Tape seems to be the best solution.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Uchiha Itachi »

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 08:56:29 PM »
Just to play Devils Advocate....

First off, I do not wear patches of any sort nor have I ever served in our armed forces.  That said, I have nothing but the highest regard for those that have served (regardless of branch) and if I was to wear patches IMO it would be a symbol of the respect I have for those that have served.

Kinda like wearing a jersey to a sporting event.  You aren't posing, you are supporting your team.  Only in this case its a much better team with an actual cause.  It seems like it's a step up (or at least a little more manly) from sticking one of those yellow ribbon bumper stickers on your back.

I guess I can see the standpoint of somebody trying to pretend they are something their not.  But at least in my case, I'm not trying to pretend - I'm trying to pay my respects.

However, for the time being, I will continue to wear my unadorned ACU's.

Just my .02.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by XavierMace »

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 12:54:50 AM »
Most of us have too many Airsoft patches to choose from to worry about military patches...

I earned mine in the Army but I only wear national op patches anymore.....

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 08:16:41 AM »
Quote from: "Doc Hollywood"
Most of us have too many Airsoft patches to choose from to worry about military patches...

I earned mine in the Army but I only wear national op patches anymore.....

Bingo, I'll probably just wear any op patches I get. There's also patches from the sci-fi media, like all the Stargate stuff or even some of the funny joke patches. I've seen a lot of funny tabs too, the chairsofter one cracks me up something fierce.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by deathbydanish »
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.