Author Topic: Help zeroing a scope?  (Read 963 times)

Offline Atrus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dauntlessforums.com
Help zeroing a scope?
« on: August 10, 2007, 11:41:45 AM »
Ok so I bought a nice springer rifle, had a scope rail imported for it and bought myself a scope. I have had the hardest time zeroing it. I can't get it even close. Odds are I'll be using a mask rather than gogles at the Aug. 18th game so I'll probably just use the iron sights, but can anyone help me zero it if I do go with the scope?

This is the gun with the scope. The scope is offest by about an inch due to the odd scope rail.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Atrus »
The following text is a placeholder for a meaningful signature. The previous text serves the same purpose.

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 11:45:51 AM »
Well, there is always the fact that it is an airsoft rifle.

Set the hopup as flat as possible and then zero it from there, the windage should be fine, but, it is possible that your rings and base don't provide enough/any adjustment  and it will be impossible to get the elevation even close to right.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:10:50 PM »
You can add shimms of aluminum foil in the rear rings to give it more of a downward angle.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline Atrus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 01:25:47 PM »
I was just up at APD and it doesn't appear that it's really even worth it to zero the thing. The fact that I'm no good at it to begin with and then the fact that I'm better with the iron-sights proves this point. Thanks for the help though. I may try and sell or trade it to just get myself an AEG for the 18th Skirmish.. Might even just try to borrow somethin.

Thanks again guys.
The following text is a placeholder for a meaningful signature. The previous text serves the same purpose.

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 01:50:12 PM »
Scopes are designed to zero at ranges that far exceed any range that an airsoft weapon will provide.

Scopes look kind of cool (sometimes) butkeep in mind that your maximum effective range on any airsoft gun is no more than 250 feet.  A scope des not really become effective in most instances until you are in the 250 meter range........

IMHAO
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Doc Hollywood »

Offline Morgann0

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 03:16:35 PM »
Scopes can be helpful, but in the long run, iron sights should work just fine.  I bought a used USR-11, and upgraded it, the thing works great.  Sometimes the scope would hit right on, other times it would miss by ridiculous margins.  My problem was the scope wasn't sitting right, so it was just the slightest bit wobbly.  I took it off, and all of a sudden, my rifle was much more dangerous.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Morgann0 »
\"All you touch, and all you see, is all your life will ever be.\"

Offline GUNFIGHTER6

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 04:51:24 PM »
Alot of people get sold on the concept of "airsoft snipers," but it's more myth than reality.  You'd proably be better served with an red dot scope on that thing or an AEG all together.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by GUNFIGHTER6 »

1st Special Operations Rapid Deployment Company - Airsoft Team

Offline Atrus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
Yeah, if I can sell the Dragunov, I'm gonna go AEG.. I have my eyes set on a Classic Army CA8-2. Like I've stated in a few posts above though.. I'll probably just use the iron-sights.