Author Topic: Aftermath by Gamo....Any good?  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Bakeman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • FNG
    • View Profile
Aftermath by Gamo....Any good?
« on: December 06, 2008, 05:26:40 PM »
I was looking for med level airsoft, is Aftermath brand by Gamo any good? I noticed the have metal body and gears.

Thanks for any input
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline sonjamichelle

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
Re: Aftermath by Gamo....Any good?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 05:53:32 PM »
From what I understand Aftermath is a rebranded Cyma.

We purchased three Lycaon MP5s, the first one stopped working after a week. The second one didn't even work out of the box. The third one the safety didn't function.

We then bought the Broxa MP5, so far it has held up to about 15 6 hour skirmishes and has had about 6000 rounds through it. Of course it has been cleaned after each use and stored in a box between skirmishes.

The Lycaon has a NiMH 8.4 volt 1100mah battery and charger. It has a 350 round hi-cap mag in a false double mag configuration. It works but straight mags and mid-caps will perform better.

The Broxa has a NiCad 8.4 volt 1200mah battery and charger. It has a 450 round hi-cap mag in the same config as the Lycaon.

Both AEG's are pretty compatible with aftermarket upgrade and replacement parts. Both have a 14mm thread under the orange tip. Both shoot in the 350 fps range with .20 high grade bb's. You can find the Broxa at Frys Electronics for $119. Might even be able to find the Lycaon for $99. I believe Sports Authority also carries them but expect a 30% higher price.

Your mileage may vary with these AEG's. Of course the better care you take with them the better they will take care of you.
Sonja Michelle Lina Thomas

Offline saw gunner clayton

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 06:35:12 PM »
theold wave of aftermath aegs really sucked.
-kraken
-lyacon
-s-system m4

but the new wave is actually pretty good for retail big box store guns.
-broxa {mp5a4 ris navy}
-orphus [m14 socom]
-knight [m4 cqbr ris]

Offline Almightymints

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 07:29:55 PM »
I know someone who bought the Aftermath Knight recently and while there are much better alternatives for the price, for a gun typically bought at Big 5 its pretty decent

Offline T3hl33tn00b

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 09:08:05 PM »
Ultimentra has an Aftermath Kraken, its a cyma CM028 as far as I can tell, and so far has worked well for him, if you get it, you will NEED a tightbore. his groupings are nearly 3"wide at 50" distance! trust me, I have fired and seen it fired at many games, were talking 5-6 multi hour skirmishes. So far, good gun, and the only complaint was the furniture (he painted it when he got it) and the accuracy.
Just call me L33t...\'couse you know I am!

Hotel Moscow* never shows Mercy!

Offline I Slap Fat Kids

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 10:45:47 PM »
3" at 50 feet isn't bad.
Replicas:

TM P90 red dot
SRC G36K with a CA AG-36
JG G36C
TM Hi-Capa M.R.P.
KJW MK II
WE HK 416
WE Hi-Capa Dragon
And a few friends\':

Offline ultimentra

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 08:08:16 PM »
Well when you unload 10 shots on someone at med range it is bad when you never see your BBs connect. But it fits well with the fact that AKs are inaccurate  :D . Yea I need a tightbore...
"Strike true and strike with precision."
"Faith is my shield, contempt is my sword."

Offline I Slap Fat Kids

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 08:30:31 PM »
Edit:  Just dawned on me...  He means 3 feet, doesn't he?

I can see what he means now.
Replicas:

TM P90 red dot
SRC G36K with a CA AG-36
JG G36C
TM Hi-Capa M.R.P.
KJW MK II
WE HK 416
WE Hi-Capa Dragon
And a few friends\':

Offline G1zm0

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sg12.org/Roster_files/G1zm0.htm
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 07:10:53 PM »
I had the Kyrenex (S-System M-4) used it in a few skirmishes out in NC and it broke. It had a plastic body and a decent rate of fire for a Big-5 gun as stated earlier. Used it for parts after it broke which saved some money It would work for a CQB weapon if anything, it shot under 300 with .25g which is allowed for CQB in NC. I'd save your money and get something else. But thats just my opinion.

Offline LosAlamos

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Peoria Airsoft Team Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:16:40 PM »
Aftermath powns man! Get it! All my friends have it and they all work fine! I got the Lycaon and even with the plastic body it is so durable! Also the Lycaon has a small kick to it that most airsoft guns just don't have! The Broxa is a good skirmish gun, but it not that fun to shoot. 2 of my friends still have to use their new guns(Kyrinex and Knight) in combat but so far they love them! If you want a good gun, get Aftermath guns!
Peoria Airsoft Team
Peoria, Arizona
www.peoriaairsoft.com

Offline makoshark

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 06:21:26 PM »
LosAlamos, I don't think you know to much about what your talking about. I've had 3 of the same Lycaons from them and all 3 have broken. Well 2 were mine, one was my brothers. I tested them out. I returned it and got a full refund, and actually bought a decent brand.

The first one, I had to buy it on display. When I got it the selector was already bad and was very rough, not smooth at ALL. It eventually stopped working within 2 days. (To lazy to type details) I got it exchanged, and right out of the 'plastic container' it worked, but then just 1-2 days later again it started doing the exact same thing.

After doing some research, yes they are CYMA rebrands, they basically buy the gun change the name and stick their Aftermath logo on it and sell it for more. However, the newer versions may be better as I have never tried those. All I know is that the older ones are horrible.

If you're going to buy aftermath, for the same price you might as well get a JG and just fix up some of the internals and it should be decent.

Offline BLKKROW89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »
Quote from: "ultimentra"
Well when you unload 10 shots on someone at med range it is bad when you never see your BBs connect. But it fits well with the fact that AKs are inaccurate  :D . Yea I need a tightbore...

ak's are accurate in airsoft...... just because of the fact of the consistent Hop-up its basic push and pull to move the lever up and down, unlike anything where you have to twist and in some cases it twists little gears.

Also Ak's have a really long barrel providing it greater accuracy.

Offline devildog16

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 10:01:03 PM »
I've had 2 gamo aftermath's, the first was generally shit.  It had an effective range of about 25 feet and hit around 280, 300 if there was a full moon out.  After 2 weeks of this, the sector gear shattered and F***** the rest of the GB.  It was not worth my money nor my time to fix it so I exchanged it in hope that I got a lemon.  The second one was ok, lasted a couple months and shot decent for a 120 dollar gun.  However, from what I've heard and read in past couple of months, the new aftermath's are better than they used to be.  But that's not saying much, thats saying they're just OK and tolerable now.  I would only recomend getting one if you A) are just starting out in airsoft and want to get a feel for it or B) want as an insurance gun so you can keep playing that day if your main rifle catostrophically fails.  Or possibly C) you want to throw your money away and get a wall ornament out of the deal. In that case might as well throw some of it my way because god knows I could use it.   :D

Hoped this helped,
Bryce
"Basebruce"
be proud never satisfied

Offline sonjamichelle

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »
You definitely take your chances when you purchase an Aftermath AEG. I certainly would not buy from their site. Horribly over priced. We bought our Broxa for about $120. I didn't expect it to last long but we've put about 20,000 rounds through it so far and it's holding up.

I've since changed out the full stock for a collapsible stock:

Rewired the battery to the front and added a PEQ, though I plan on a better quality and smaller PEQ:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=449

I plan on adding at new slimmer metal RIS kit:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=3320

And a mock suppressor:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=4485

Eventually as the original parts wear out, I'll upgrade and refit as necessary. For the price it makes a good project gun.
Sonja Michelle Lina Thomas

Offline LosAlamos

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Peoria Airsoft Team Forum
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 11:14:40 PM »
Come on guys, just trust me on this one. It just happens your Aftermaths out of all the Aftermath's in the world just happened to not work. All my friends got them and we airsoft once a week now that its winter [-X
Peoria Airsoft Team
Peoria, Arizona
www.peoriaairsoft.com