Author Topic: What once was an airsoft project......  (Read 1076 times)

Offline m-79_Grenadier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
What once was an airsoft project......
« on: February 16, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »
Is now a fully complete semi-auto belt fed 1919a6 browing machine gun.  8)

If some of you remeber me when I still played airsoft you might remember me working on making an airsoft version of a browning 1919a4 mg to go with all my other WW2 stuff. That seems like yesterday but it was almost four yeas ago. I originaly bouth the parts kit intentionally for making the airsoft gun, but when I did all the modifications and built the internals I made sure not to alter any of the original browning part in case I ever wanted to build it into a real gun. Well, the years went by and though I thougt Id never tire of airsoft I eventualy found other hobbies (some even more exp than airsoft lol) and the parts went on the shelf with all of my other projects.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to dig the ol parts kit it out and see if I still had all the original parts and thankfuly I did. Reason being that I knew with us now being an obamanation I should probably start working on making this shootable while I still could, so I orderd a semi-auto trigger and sear kit with new rivets, and started making the sideplate. The sideplate I made out of T-1 A514 abrasion resistant plate, and using the original blueprints I made it on the CNC mill at work.

This sideplate is different from a full auto plate though because of that large bar shaped island left on the inside. This bar makes it so you have to relif cut the new semi-auto modified bolt and barrel extension so that they fit into the gun. This also make it impossible with this sideplate riveted to the gun to shove any unmodified fully automatic internals into the gun. After I had the sideplate done I installed the semi sear and trigger, and milled the bolt, barrel extension and lock frame so that they would now work with the semi auto plate.

After that that I took the gun to work and riveted the sideplate on and  was ready to tke her out for a test run. 8)  

The kit originally came as an isreali reworked to .308, but I just orderd an 8mm barrel for it to cut down on thecost of ammo. It runs like a top on .308 but at 60 cents a round I cont afford to be blazing away (its really easy to do with a belt fed gun be it semi or not lol). Also I was fortunate enough to buy a bnunch of surplus 8mm when it was cheap so Ive got quite a bit of it. The only thing left to do is re-parkerize the gun because of the new sideplate, and also because the vintage WW2 parkerizing is starting to wear off after 60 years.

More to come!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Owns the REEEEL THAAAANG!

"No, I shall not be attending the funeral services..... though I do highly approve." -Mark Twain

Offline Fat_Santa54

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: What once was an airsoft project......
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:54:46 AM »
Thats awsome, about how much would you say it weighs?

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:30:51 PM »
Hey man you never call to chat or anything G. We need to go out shooting with our real toys. Anyway Romainian 8mm Mauser is realy cheap stuff right now. All you have to do is clean after useing it, and your good to go. I have fell out of the airsoft scene because I been realy busy. Then Obama became ellected so real stuff is more important, and then I hurt my knee.

Offline m-79_Grenadier

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:55:15 PM »
Quote from: "Fat_Santa54"
Thats awsome, about how much would you say it weighs?

Thanks!

With the buttstock, carrying handle, and bipod I would say it weighs a little over 30lbs lol. And this would have been the airbourne configration. Though these had lightened barrels the real a6s weighed just about as much. Not somthing you would think to jump out of a c47 with.  :mrgreen:

Quote from: "IcePlatinumSky"
Hey man you never call to chat or anything G. We need to go out shooting with our real toys. Anyway Romainian 8mm Mauser is realy cheap stuff right now. All you have to do is clean after useing it, and your good to go. I have fell out of the airsoft scene because I been realy busy. Then Obama became ellected so real stuff is more important, and then I hurt my knee.

Lol that sucks about youre knee. How bad was it messed up?

We totaly need to do some shooting. Ive been totaly swapmed these lase few weeks with this gun, and getting the troop back up and runnning. Took her up through charouleau gap last weekend and didind break anything so Im kind of jazzed about that. It was pretty fun.  8)

I was going to go to the big gun show up in the valley back in december but I couldnt make it. Never been to it though Ive been told its more than worh the drive. We really need to do a get together though. Do you get weekends off?  8)
Owns the REEEEL THAAAANG!

"No, I shall not be attending the funeral services..... though I do highly approve." -Mark Twain

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:36:09 AM »
Yes, I get weekends off most of the time. We will have to compare collections before going out because we have very similar intrests. My new favoriet thing to do is shoot my Romainian Torkarev Pistol.  These things are a blast!!! I hurt my knee falling out of the truck bed unloading equipment and Tore my ACL, and Miniscus. I needed alot of surgery to repair it all.