Author Topic:  (Read 2942 times)

Offline HavHav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: October 13, 2003, 10:27:06 PM »
My dad shot left handed. When he was in the Army, they would give you a special plate that you put under your shirt so they dont burn you. But times have changed so I dont know about now!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by HavHav »

Offline SgtQuicksilver

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 10:29:38 PM »
I am sure it is quite possible to switch the whole thing around... But I want to know if the do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by SgtQuicksilver »
-Quicksilver

\"I\'m not trigger happy.... I just have a twitch in my finger.\"
 \"I am a man of few words... Any Questions?

Offline Harley

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 06:48:46 AM »
That's why they build a shell defelector on the upper receiver.  It pushes the shell forward away from the shooters face.  The early M16A1's didn't have a shell defelector so they came up with a unit that snapped into the handle and did the job.  All the newer M16's and AR15's have the built in shell defelctor on the upper receiver now.  As far as I know there are no left handed M16's out there unless it's a custom built unit.  Some guns come set up so that you can switch which side the ejection is on.  I had a USAS12 shotgun that was like that.  I think AUG's are as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Harley »
\"Just because you\'re paranoid, doesn\'t mean they\'re not out to get you!\"

\"Have Gun - Will Travel\"

Offline Paco

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 07:35:04 AM »
Actually, DPMS (and mayboe others, but I have seen the DPMS product) makes "lefty" upper receivers for AR-15's/M-16's (which is just a mirror image of the normal upper).  You can also buy ambidextrous selector switches.  I know Remington also makes left handed versions of their M700 rifles.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Paco »

Offline Harley

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 09:33:11 AM »
Yes, but those are custom guns.  You won't ever see a military M16 in a lefty configuration.

Offline SHIFTY1944

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 08:13:00 PM »
Also its been proven that hundreds of left handed people are killed our hurt every year by products that were made for right handed.I saw it on some "useless facts that you never knew" type board in a bar bathroom,haha!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by SHIFTY1944 »

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 08:18:03 PM »
I read somewhere that if you have the money (Focused on Real Steel Operators) and used a bolt action sniper rifle, and were right handed, that buying a left handed bolt would allow you to not have to take your hand off the trigger and eyes off the target to cycle the bolt, but only require you to use the hand that is supporting the weight of the rifle (which wouldnt be a problem with a bipod) Anyone know if this would work?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by HavHav »

Offline SgtQuicksilver

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2003, 09:16:00 PM »
That be great for deer hunting! Take awhile to get use to using your other hand
-Quicksilver

Offline Harley

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 12:59:38 AM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by HavHav</i>
<br />I read somewhere that if you have the money (Focused on Real Steel Operators) and used a bolt action sniper rifle, and were right handed, that buying a left handed bolt would allow you to not have to take your hand off the trigger and eyes off the target to cycle the bolt, but only require you to use the hand that is supporting the weight of the rifle (which wouldnt be a problem with a bipod) Anyone know if this would work?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Give it a try, shoulder your right handed bolt gun to your left shoulder, sight through the scope and try to cyle the action, make sure the bolt isn't cocked so you're actually cocking it when you cycle the bolt.  It's not as easy as you might think.  I'd rather cock the gun with my strong hand and support the butt up against my shoulder with my weak hand as I normally do when shooting off a bi-pod.

Offline Pancho

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2003, 08:06:17 AM »
It's a good theory, HavHav. And someone may actually use thier rifle in that manner. But it is not taught in <i>any</i> rifle shooting class or "sniper" class that I am aware of. And I have read a <i>great deal</i> on the subject from many sources.

But, as John said, give it a try yourself. If it works for you, great!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Pancho »
aka: Frankie Four Fingers

Offline The Flying Dutchman

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 03:35:47 PM »
If your doing CQB its a good thing to be able to shoot with both hands. I tried to shoot with my left hand for a secound and smacked my face with the stock while moving it over to my sholder. But then again my wrist was a lil messed up. Im trying to teach myself how to  shoot that way..... its going pretty good so far, its a lil weird at first. Also you have to have a sling that will alow you to switch hands. I have seen a lot of guys who do CQB with a center rigs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by The Flying Dutchman »

Offline SgtQuicksilver

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2003, 05:01:32 PM »
That is what I am trying to teach myself, for now I am just doing pisols and trying to get a feel for a rifle on the left but it feels... wrong
-Quicksilver

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 12:18:32 AM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CAG D boy</i>
<br />If your doing CQB its a good thing to be able to shoot with both hands. I tried to shoot with my left hand for a secound and smacked my face with the stock while moving it over to my sholder. But then again my wrist was a lil messed up. Im trying to teach myself how to  shoot that way..... its going pretty good so far, its a lil weird at first. Also you have to have a sling that will alow you to switch hands. I have seen a lot of guys who do CQB with a center rig.

Right.  This is helpful when entering through a doorway, gun always goes in first.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline SgtQuicksilver

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 12:20:39 AM »
Unless your cutting the pie then your gun gives you away.
-Quicksilver

Offline Harley

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 07:24:05 AM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CAG D boy</i>
<br />If your doing CQB its a good thing to be able to shoot with both hands. I tried to shoot with my left hand for a secound and smacked my face with the stock while moving it over to my sholder. But then again my wrist was a lil messed up. Im trying to teach myself how to  shoot that way..... its going pretty good so far, its a lil weird at first. Also you have to have a sling that will alow you to switch hands. I have seen a lot of guys who do CQB with a center rigs.

For any type of combat shooting it's a must that you can operate your weapon with either hand.  What are you going to do if your strong side arm is injurd, give up?