Author Topic: m249 battery  (Read 2211 times)

Offline saw gunner clayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
m249 battery
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »
does anyone know what battery gives the best rof for a stock a&k m249?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Polie

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: m249 battery
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:03:09 PM »
decent rof+reliability=7.4 LiPo
"Dude! Your ride is sick as fuck!"

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:16:45 AM »
Quote from: "Polie"

Now here's the formula for stripping gears.

9.6v battery + 8mm bearings + CA steel gears = broken gear teeth spilling out of your gearbox.  :P

I had to learn that lesson twice.
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.

Offline Polie

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:29:59 AM »
Quote from: "deathbydanish"

9.6v battery + 8mm bearings + CA steel gears = broken gear teeth spilling out of your gearbox.  :P

Then you did something wrong.  I eun a 11.1 lipo all the time and have put 10's of thousands of rounds through it.  The only problem I have ever had was 1 tooth on a gear after about 15k and 1 piston that was worn out.  Thats it.

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 01:36:36 PM »

Then you did something wrong.  I eun a 11.1 lipo all the time and have put 10's of thousands of rounds through it.  The only problem I have ever had was 1 tooth on a gear after about 15k and 1 piston that was worn out.  Thats it.

Obviously, I put a 9.6v battery into a CA 249 when someone told me I shouldn't have, I didn't listen and I stripped two sets of gears.
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline Polie

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 01:44:04 PM »

Obviously, I put a 9.6v battery into a CA 249 when someone told me I shouldn't have, I didn't listen and I stripped two sets of gears.

Something must have been wrong with the gearbox and/or the way the gears where installed.  Lipos aren't going to break gears any differently than the battery you where using.  If its going to break, its going to break no matter what.  A 7.4 LiPo gives you just about the same ROF as a 9.6 Nicad but in a smaller packages and more mAh. Lipo>Nicad What gears did you use, Guarder or CA?

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 01:48:50 PM »
The first set was the stock gears that came with it, the second set was also CA gears.

Look I appreciate the advice, but don't get me wrong as far as I'm concerned your posts are anecdotal. My wallet hurts enough without me having to pay $50-$60 for gears just so I can prove to someone on the Internet that I can strip gears in my CA 249 by using a 9.6v battery.
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline Polie

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:07:32 PM »
The first set was the stock gears that came with it, the second set was also CA gears.

Look I appreciate the advice, but don't get me wrong as far as I'm concerned your posts are anecdotal. My wallet hurts enough without me having to pay $50-$60 for gears just so I can prove to someone on the Internet that I can strip gears in my CA 249 by using a 9.6v battery.

Why did you pay $50-$60 for stock gears, thats retarded.  You are seem to be the only one to have a problem.  Several people use them all the time with out any trouble, ever.  How are my posts anecdotal, I have 10's of thousands of rounds on lipo's, and on a 11.1 with crazy ROF w/o any major issues.  The only gear I broke was probably due to all of debris from a worn out piston.  

The battery is not what breaks gears, its either poor quality gears and/or not having them properly installed.  I obviously have more rounds down range on lipo's and I have never had a problem, and so have others.  Why is it that you are the only one having trouble?  Maybe because you don't know how to install gears properly.  Its ok to admit you don't know what your doing.  I dont, I have someone else install gears for me and they work just fin3 on any (responsible not something crazy like a 14.8 lipo) battery packs.  

Now to get back on track, buy a good balance charger for lipo's and it will do charge all of your batteries, then pick up a good 7.4 lipo and run that.  Don't listen to people who don't know jack about batteries.  If you want a 5kmAh 7.4 I know where to get them cheaply, just ask.

Offline Boles

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 09:41:31 PM »
I run two 10.8v 1400MAH batteries in parallel in a full stock with no problems decent ROF I've shot over 30000 bbs so far if not more.

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:39:02 PM »

Why did you pay $50-$60 for stock gears, thats retarded.  

Probably because this was 4 years ago and the CA 249 was just new.

You are seem to be the only one to have a problem.

Ah so you have gone around and interviewed every airsofter in the world and confirmed this?

Several people use them all the time with out any trouble, ever.  How are my posts anecdotal, I have 10's of thousands of rounds on lipo's, and on a 11.1 with crazy ROF w/o any major issues.  The only gear I broke was probably due to all of debris from a worn out piston.  

Because you calling me a retard doesn't change the fact that I had an untouched brand new in box CA 249 spit gear teeth out after I connected a 9.6v battery and fired around 100 rounds.

The battery is not what breaks gears, its either poor quality gears and/or not having them properly installed.  I obviously have more rounds down range on lipo's and I have never had a problem, and so have others.

So I fail to see your point about poor quality gears or not having them installed properly when the gearbox was new and untouched.

Why is it that you are the only one having trouble?  Maybe because you don't know how to install gears properly.  Its ok to admit you don't know what your doing.  I dont, I have someone else install gears for me and they work just fin3 on any (responsible not something crazy like a 14.8 lipo) battery packs.  

Again, how does this apply when the gears that were stripped were stock and were in a new, untouched gearbox?

Now to get back on track, buy a good balance charger for lipo's and it will do charge all of your batteries, then pick up a good 7.4 lipo and run that. Don't listen to people who don't know jack about batteries. If you want a 5kmAh 7.4 I know where to get them cheaply, just ask.

You're quite the classy SOB aren't you?
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 11:11:51 PM »
After doing some searching from my old posts I found the following.

Quote from: "Vince"
Panzer fixed this with an 8.4 battery, stock spring, and a Deepfire Piston.

Classic Army recommends nothing above 8.4 volts because of the stress already generated by the gearbox.

link

It looks like the CA piston went first (not surprised), then when I replaced the piston with an ICS Aluminum piston the CA gears started to fail. Back then the Phoenix Jungle Toy was only a few miles from my place so I was able to make regular trips to it. All of the work on the gearbox was done by Jeremiah, I watched him take it apart and replace all the parts. I even asked him if my gearbox had the same oversized piston guide problem that howrangi's CA 249 had, it didn't.

Later on you can see I was still going at it.

I just joined the "Shredded SAW club", not by choice though. I've shredded three separate spur gears already. The stock CA piston is gone and the original sector gear has gone bye bye.  ](*,)

link

Polie you keep talking to me like I didn't do my best to get that thing fixed, when clearly that is not the case. I went to an actual airsoft shop with an actual airsoft tech, one of only two decent ones that were open at the time IIRC (I'm talking about the two pre-Gearbox Jungle Toys and I'm not counting Soft Air Depot). Please tell me what conclusions I should've drawn after I went through a couple hundred dollars and many, many hours of work and research to get this thing going and still have it tear pistons and gear teeth. Show me how your personal experience somehow magically negates the fact my CA 249 turns into a piston/gear shredding machine when I apply a 9.6v battery to it, because I'll need to record that, upload it to YouTube and show it to the old Jungle Toy staff, my old teammates, and anyone else who in 2006/2007 saw me trying to get that thing running. Tell me what a rational person would've thought after consulting with experienced airsofters and having the CA 249 be worked by an experienced airsoft tech, only to have the CA 249 continue to rip pistons and gears apart.

It was pretty fucking simple to me.

9.6v = shredded gears/piston

8.4v = no shredded gears/piston
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline babybackribs

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 09:51:08 PM »
M249 gearboxes are finicky.  Since they are large pieces, the cast metal cools differently, and it can warp the metal a bit.  It all depends on what gearbox you get.  I have an CA M249 gearbox in my M2, and I've run it on a 14.4v battery for an entire ammo tray without a problem, and I've never used lower than an 11.1v lipo.  Some people get good ones, some get bad ones.

Religion is a joke.

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
Quote from: "babybackribs"
M249 gearboxes are finicky.  Since they are large pieces, the cast metal cools differently, and it can warp the metal a bit.  It all depends on what gearbox you get.  I have an CA M249 gearbox in my M2, and I've run it on a 14.4v battery for an entire ammo tray without a problem, and I've never used lower than an 11.1v lipo.  Some people get good ones, some get bad ones.

That I can understand, considering I got a 1st generation CA 249 I don't doubt that there may have been some gremlins in it.
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline jdmsquadleader

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
will a a&k para run a 11.1 lipo or will i blow the gear box or can i run a 9.6 and short stroke it? also i dont see anyone talking about short stroking aegs is there something wrong with that many of my friends and i did it in socal but never on a m249 any suggestions?
jdm

Offline KOBO

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »
I personally been running a 11 Lipo in my Echo M249 which I believe is just an A&K. Now I have taken apart my gear box and had it reshimmed and replaced some of the shitty parts and it has been fin so far. It has been in 2 Lion Claws and multiple games.

I also expect it to fail at any moment, Lipos are just more stress on the gear box, so expect it to wear faster. If you are alright with the idea it will fail sooner then you are good to go.