Author Topic: Deployment  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Twitchy Konigkeit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/ahwatac
Deployment
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:51:38 AM »
So i finally got confirmation about me deploying. I'm going to Afghanistan in February as security forces! I'm pretty excited! any suggestions or tips for those who have been over there? Stuff i should buy etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline TheBoy988

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=560727808
Re: Deployment
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:20:22 PM »
hey man. i just wanted to say thanks for putin your neck out there for us. come back safe.
"Don\'t fire and correct! Fire correctly!" - ME

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
Kyle, how I would have responded to this thread had you been the same person you are when I met you about three years ago is completely different from how I am responding now.

You've definitely matured a ton and come a long way since then.

You'll be fine. You might even have some fun.

Stay safe, and see you when you get back.

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 03:53:43 PM »
Keep your shit together and dont freak out no matter what happens.

Oh, and be respectful to the Infantry you meet over there,  They earned the right to be a little sideways.  Take your anger out on the TPNs or some REMF supply pog instead...  [smilie=armata_pdt_06.gif]

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 04:35:06 PM »
Do you know where you're going?  If you want to PM me offline that's fine.

As for things to buy, wait until you see what you get issued first.  There wasn't much I was in need of after I got there because of the comprehensive kit they were issuing.  I bought some extra pairs of warm socks before I left, but we even got more of those issued.  

Afghanistan is cool, and you'll enjoy the deployment.

Offline Reynolds One

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 09:23:22 AM »
I served in the Navy and deployed to the Gulf for the invasion in 2003.  Obviously I didn't spend a lot of time on the ground, but what I can say is this: listen to the guys who've been there a while.  Anytime you go from home to a forward area, you're likely to get a bit of a shock as to how things "really work", and the guys that have been there will no doubt show you the ropes.

Just stay focused!

Offline BOHICA

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 09:54:14 AM »
Take a really good laptop.......there are alot of games to play, and a good digital camera cause at some time you'll want to make some little videos of the times you are having......AN IPOD and all the cables.....other than that, have fun....the bonds you will make with the other people there are memories you'll have forever.....
You know what I think?..It don\'t matter what I think, once that first bullet goes by your head, Politics and Sh*t go right out the window.
الشرطة العسكرية

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 01:24:28 PM »
I'm with Christian on this one. It isn't too bad. There are sucky times but I had some good laughs over there. Enjoy it. Shoot me a PM if you know the area you are going to.

Offline Marine101

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 07:59:25 AM »
Definantly a 360 we are eating up CODMW2. Gotta love the USO  :P
PFC Mark Morgan
855 MP CO
Phoenix, Arizona

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 07:57:47 AM »
We couldn't get a TV for our COP, so we rolled to a larger FOB a few hours away an happened to find one in an MWR. Imagine that.

Hopefully your living conditions are a bit nicer than mine. Eat the local food. You will get food poisoning more often from the DFAC than you will Afghan food.

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 10:57:38 PM »
Quote from: "HavHav"
We couldn't get a TV for our COP, so we rolled to a larger FOB a few hours away an happened to find one in an MWR. Imagine that.

Hopefully your living conditions are a bit nicer than mine. Eat the local food. You will get food poisoning more often from the DFAC than you will Afghan food.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I recommend the flatbread found right behind the Nangarhar Airport terminal at Jalalabad Airfield, and the Singaporean Red Bull they have, but I DO NOT recommend anything else!  The Chai, and any goat meat will give you the shits until you have it a few times.

If you go to Khandahar or Bagram, ANYTHING is okay to eat!  Get a massage at the "salon".

Trust me!

Don't buy jewelry, guns, rugs, or spend any more than $50 at the bazaar at once.  It's all fake.

Fur (coats, blankets) is the only thing worth sending home, just be careful at customs.  I love sleeping under my rabbit fur blanket in the winter here.

PM your address when you need booze.

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 07:18:11 AM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
Quote from: "HavHav"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I recommend the flatbread found right behind the Nangarhar Airport terminal at Jalalabad Airfield, and the Singaporean Red Bull they have, but I DO NOT recommend anything else!  The Chai, and any goat meat will give you the shits until you have it a few times.

If you go to Khandahar or Bagram, ANYTHING is okay to eat!  Get a massage at the "salon".

Trust me!

Don't buy jewelry, guns, rugs, or spend any more than $50 at the bazaar at once.  It's all fake.

Fur (coats, blankets) is the only thing worth sending home, just be careful at customs.  I love sleeping under my rabbit fur blanket in the winter here.

PM your address when you need booze.

Ditto on the booze. I never got the shits with Chai or Goat Meat. I did have to deal with 12 cases of food posioning (myself included) when we went to FOB Salerno for "Surf n Turf".

EDIT: Massages from those hot Russian/Asian ladies were the shit. They actually knew what they were doing, compared to the people who cut hair at smaller FOB's that we visited. An hour massage was $20 or so when I was there. I know how most of my days were spent while trying to leave country.

Offline Marine101

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 07:52:34 AM »
good ol goats meat you realise your meat tastes differently right as you realise there is no cows running around.  :-k
PFC Mark Morgan
855 MP CO
Phoenix, Arizona

Offline Kodiak

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 06:13:11 PM »
Goat meat is delicious.

Offline Marine101

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 07:28:52 AM »
you definantly get used to it. just remember dont get complacent and you will be good to go.
PFC Mark Morgan
855 MP CO
Phoenix, Arizona