Author Topic: M14 modifications  (Read 1011 times)

Offline steyraug223

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
M14 modifications
« on: March 23, 2010, 02:06:22 PM »
Alright here is what I am working with, I have a CA M14, shooting incredibly well, and in general making me happy. Now however I am looking to take it away from a normal M14 and converting it into a LMG variant of the M14. The only real reason for this would be to set me up to use high caps and auto winders for milsim type games.

I have two ideas for this

First take a M14 EBR kit, remove the telescoping rear stock and with either epoxy or a few well placed bolts secure a modified (shortened) M14 stock onto the rear of the EBR pistol grip area (think roughly where the . As long as it would be secured with minimal bracing I would think that the stock could even still be used with a smaller battery if not the full sized batteries I fit now.

The second option is to try and take a commercial m14 stock and modify it to fit my airsoft gun. This is going to be WAY more intensive for both labor and money, but it may be the only way to get the result I want.

What do you guys think? Also what are your recommendations for hopup, barrel length (it's the match length m14 now) and sights?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
The fecal matter just hit the spinning apparatus.

USN

Offline Whiskey11

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: M14 modifications
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 07:45:39 PM »
Good luck finding a real or airsoft version of the M14E2 stock... the closest we have is the G&P M14 to which your CA guts wont fit in, I can promise you that.  Modifying a real fiberglass stock wont work, I've tried that too, the grip area is too thin to do it correctly.  

Your only hope is to find the E2 foregrip online, maybe and deal with the rifle grip on your normal stock.  Maybe get the E2 Bipod when money allows and wait for a "DMR" style stock for the CA/G&G M14's.

Offline steyraug223

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 07:48:49 AM »
Quote from: "Whiskey11"
Good luck finding a real or airsoft version of the M14E2 stock... the closest we have is the G&P M14 to which your CA guts wont fit in, I can promise you that.  Modifying a real fiberglass stock wont work, I've tried that too, the grip area is too thin to do it correctly.  

Your only hope is to find the E2 foregrip online, maybe and deal with the rifle grip on your normal stock.  Maybe get the E2 Bipod when money allows and wait for a "DMR" style stock for the CA/G&G M14's.

Thanks man. Damn my lack of high grade machinery so that I could just make this! You know, do you think taking a stock kit (I know that they are sold a lot for older guns, so someone can make their own stock) and using that would work? It would necessitate taking a drill or similar and drilling out a hole in the stock for a battery, and clearing out enough of the pistol grip to house the motor/wiring. After that throw on the M14 hinging buttstock (It shouldn't be hard to just bolt on a airsoft one) and then find the bipod at a gun show or similar. Anything I am missing? I could see the wood getting a little thin, especially in the pistol grip area, but if you were taking care of the entire stock this could be counteracted by just not taking as much off in the pistol grip area.

USN

Offline Whiskey11

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:17:47 PM »
Quote from: "steyraug223"
Quote from: "Whiskey11"

Thanks man. Damn my lack of high grade machinery so that I could just make this! You know, do you think taking a stock kit (I know that they are sold a lot for older guns, so someone can make their own stock) and using that would work? It would necessitate taking a drill or similar and drilling out a hole in the stock for a battery, and clearing out enough of the pistol grip to house the motor/wiring. After that throw on the M14 hinging buttstock (It shouldn't be hard to just bolt on a airsoft one) and then find the bipod at a gun show or similar. Anything I am missing? I could see the wood getting a little thin, especially in the pistol grip area, but if you were taking care of the entire stock this could be counteracted by just not taking as much off in the pistol grip area.

M14E2 also has a different flash supressor on the front to help reduce muzzle climb as well as a slotted heatshield.  Luckily the slotted heatshields are pretty inexpensive, the flash supressor may be more difficult to do.

Your best hope here would be to make your own, although I dont suggest trying to find a way to angle the motor down the pistol grip as I can assure you it wont turn out pretty (especially not with the CA's fixed motor mounts).  Some "creative license" could be taken with the E2 stock and still turn out pretty dang nice.

Offline TheStenGun

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »
Is this what you are talking about by chance? It appears to be a CAW made m14e2 stock.
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/a ... odID=21022

If you are looking for a stock style with a grip it might be far easier to simply start a new gun based around a TM m14 rather than doing all the modification needed on a CA. GP kits are readily available.

Offline steyraug223

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »
Quote from: "TheStenGun"
Is this what you are talking about by chance? It appears to be a CAW made m14e2 stock.
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/a ... odID=21022

If you are looking for a stock style with a grip it might be far easier to simply start a new gun based around a TM m14 rather than doing all the modification needed on a CA. GP kits are readily available.

The problem is that I already have a CA, with CA mags and such. It's easier to just convert a stock, or make my own, then to replace everything.

USN