Author Topic: M4 Style Charging Handle and bolt catch help  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Spicoli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
M4 Style Charging Handle and bolt catch help
« on: July 17, 2010, 07:13:13 PM »
So I just got this gun(G&P SPR/A) in a trade and it fire beautifully so far. The only problem I've found is with the charging handle and the dust cover on the upper reciever.
Here are my problems/troubles and some pics of the gun:

1. The charging handle does not pull itself back into the weapon. The spring doesn't look right to me at all. When it's all put together, the charging handle just crumples the spring inside. I can hear it.

2. The dust plate is always down. I'm not familiar with this area on m4's or even m4's in general, but I don't see how it's supposed to lock into place as i don't see anything on it that would hold it.

If someone knows how to fix this and if someone knew exactly how the bolt cath worked, please tell me.
Also, I am aware that the locking piece on the carging handle is missing, bit I don't know if this is part of the problem.
Thanks.

The charging handle seems to be as far back in the gun as it would go if the gun were assembled, but there is no tension on the spring.

When the CH is pushed in all the way, the spring crumples.

The CH is missing a piece.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline armalite attack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
Re: M4 Style Charging Handle and bolt catch help
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »
Okay, I think I can help you. First of all, the spring is too long, it got stretched too far, you'll need a shorter one. The dust cover has a spring that keeps it from moving, so that's just how it is. The piece you're missing is the lever to pull it back. I suggest you should buy this, it comes with a nifty charging handle and a spring. http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=4687

Offline Pick

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:11:38 PM »
I agree with aramalite on this one.

For future information fix it threads belong in troubleshooting area. but no harm no foul
He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious. - Sun Tzu

Offline Spicoli

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 08:29:31 PM »
Thanks guys, but what you're saying is the dust cover just doesn't shut? That can't be right. I could reverse the spring but then it wouldn't ever open and the CH wouldnt trigger it and there's jagged spring tips sticking out.

But i do plan on getting that charging handle,

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »
Your charging handle spring is stretched.  It is not uncommon and is pretty easy to fix with a new spring.

The dust cover on G&P guns do not stay closed.  Nothing is wrong with it, its just a design element.
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline Spicoli

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 08:46:06 PM »
Quote from: "Raith"
Your charging handle spring is stretched.  It is not uncommon and is pretty easy to fix with a new spring.

The dust cover on G&P guns do not stay closed.  Nothing is wrong with it, its just a design element.

So should this gun have working bolt catch?

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 09:57:10 PM »
Quote from: "Spicoli"
Quote from: "Raith"

So should this gun have working bolt catch?

Probably not.
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline Crono0001

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://jagxops.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 07:00:25 AM »
This is (what I believe) your problem is.

Since you bought it used, I don't think that's a G&P stock part, because that charging handle (and spring) look like they go on a G&G Blowback.  The spring hooks onto the metal blowback piston on the G&G blowback gearboxes, and by pulling the charging handle, it pulls back the thing under the dust cover.

As for your dust cover, it's made to always be open to simulate a real M4 (that's where the bullet ejects), so you can't lock it up.  You can fix this by adding your own latch, but it looks to me as if the parts you got aren't stock.

I might be wrong, but that's my 0.02

Offline Spicoli

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 07:22:26 PM »
Quote from: "armalite attack"
Okay, I think I can help you. First of all, the spring is too long, it got stretched too far, you'll need a shorter one. The dust cover has a spring that keeps it from moving, so that's just how it is. The piece you're missing is the lever to pull it back. I suggest you should buy this, it comes with a nifty charging handle and a spring. http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=4687
Are you sure it includes the spring? Because I found it for sale seperately here http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=4686

Offline Spicoli

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »
Quote from: "Pick"
I agree with aramalite on this one.

For future information fix it threads belong in troubleshooting area. but no harm no foul

Ok. I'll remember that for next time. I just got a little thrown off because the AEG's section read: AEG's
Discussion on AEG's you have, you saw, you like, etc... or how to fix/upgrade AEG's.