Author Topic: i feel like an idiot...  (Read 1054 times)

Offline DMAN007

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Captain
    • View Profile
i feel like an idiot...
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:55:24 PM »
IF YOU DONT FEEL LIKE READING AND/OR ARE JUST A TYPICAL LAZY PERSON, THE POINT TO MY STORY IS AT THE BOTTOM IN BOLD...So I ordered a box of MAG midcaps for my m4, when I recieved them i went directly to test them to see how they fed in my gun. The mags fed perfectly but I could tell they needed to be lubricated and broken in. I recently ran out of my silicone spray so I went to a hardware store to pick some up. The spray I had before was made by some airsoft company and was around $5 for 6oz. I found some "100% silicone spray" in an 8oz can for $7.50 and then some "Heavy duty silicone spray" in a 12oz can for $5.50 at the store. I thought I found a great deal on the "Heavy duty" can and proceded to buy. I rushed home to lube up my mags... after lubing the first one I noticed that it kept jamming and something was wrong, thinking it was just a defective mag I proceded to try another one... it took me 3 to figure out something was wrong. Then I started noticing when I was unloading the mags that the bb's were coming out deformed and almost felt like they were melting, which they were. feeling enraged at this conundrum, I chucked one of the mags across my backyard, striking the wall where it shattered into 2 pieces, the inside of this mag was also deformed, like the bb's were, and slightly melted... neglecting to read the back panel of the spray can before, I decided it would be a good idea now and noticed at the very bottom in tiny letters it read, "contains acetone may harm plastics or painted surfaces." Great, I just destroyed 4 brand new mags... so my point is DON'T USE ANYTHING BUT 100% SILICONE SPRAY TO LUBE MAGS
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline axisofoil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: i feel like an idiot...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 03:04:20 PM »
See. It does actually happen.

I've seen worse... that sucks... at least you learned your lesson the 4th time.

Offline Shadow

• Sergeant Major
  • Tappin' fools from 300'+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:20:41 PM »
Might want to check your hopup rubber while you're at it.  I'm sure it's going to start cracking soon...
Six Charlie
Phantom Retired
Prop Wash Gang

Offline DMAN007

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:42:26 PM »
Axis I knew you were gonna say something :lol:

and derek, I didn't fire or put the mags into my gun after lubricating them

Offline Pick

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »
He finally admitted that he was an idiot.

I never thought this day would come

Glad you learned though lol :lol:
He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious. - Sun Tzu

Offline VICTORIOUS

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.specestore.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:57:09 PM »
I made a post about lube a while ago. Look for it. It was about lubrimagic, which is ok with rubber and plastic and inexpensively acquired at Lowe's. It's made by lubrimatic brand lubricants. I also found some other synthetic lube I love to use in my sniper because it has Molybdenum in it, which penetrates metal and creates a 32 micron thick lubrication slick within the surface. It works awesome on Cylinders and trigger groups where you want to cut down on metal wear. It is called Penetro90 and is made by Schaeffer racing oils. I work for Redline Oil, so I deal with many lubes. These two are top notch for airguns.
I Force No Friend; I Fear No Foe.....Fide et Fortitudine!!

Offline Whathefuckshdmynameb

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 01:43:10 PM »
i use inox works really great but it costs. but my bro works at a hardware store so i get it cheep, i think the company just sold so it might be a new name now

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 01:54:55 PM »
Quote from: "VICTORIOUS"
I made a post about lube a while ago. Look for it. It was about lubrimagic, which is ok with rubber and plastic and inexpensively acquired at Lowe's. It's made by lubrimatic brand lubricants. I also found some other synthetic lube I love to use in my sniper because it has Molybdenum in it, which penetrates metal and creates a 32 micron thick lubrication slick within the surface. It works awesome on Cylinders and trigger groups where you want to cut down on metal wear. It is called Penetro90 and is made by Schaeffer racing oils. I work for Redline Oil, so I deal with many lubes. These two are top notch for airguns.

Can you get us a deal on redline oils (for my car, not for my airsoft stuff). I love the stuff, but can never seem to afford it when it comes time to change fluids. My differential and tranny are begging for new fluid though.

I get pure silicone spray, grease, red moly, and white litho greases at ACE. lol. Cheap and effective. Moly grease is nice for, like he said, trigger groups and metal-metal contact areas, especially where those metals aren't exactly high quality. Litho keeps all your rubber and silicone/soft plastic parts doing well, as it seeps into them and keeps them conditioned as well as lubricating. I also like it for gears as it doesn't gum up or dry out as easily as some types of lubricants when put under pressure.

Offline Comrade Commissar

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »
I have ALMOST made this same mistake.... Alot of silicone sprays also have propylene distillates in them... Always buy airsoft lube... stay away from wally world and the auto places.
Present - Dboy Spr mod0, upgraded. Dboy Ak74, Stock. Hfc chrome Revolver, short
Past - CA Slr105, KWC 1911 Caspian, TM mp5sd6