Author Topic: Should I enlist after High-School?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline GhostSOCOMM4

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://wolfpacktacticalsblog.blogspot.com/
Should I enlist after High-School?
« on: September 09, 2010, 04:12:56 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had enlisted for any part of the military out of High-School and when I should enlist to get a contract?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline airsoftguy01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Should I enlist after High-School?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 04:50:21 PM »
This is really something you and your family(yeah its kind of a decision with your family when you are this young) are going to have to decide. Just remember, get a good recruiter, most are turds but good luck.

Offline GhostSOCOMM4

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://wolfpacktacticalsblog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 04:57:05 PM »
Quote from: "airsoftguy01"
This is really something you and your family(yeah its kind of a decision with your family when you are this young) are going to have to decide. Just remember, get a good recruiter, most are turds but good luck.

Thanks.

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »
What is your plan after the Military? What do YOU want to get out of it? What things would YOU like to do? Tell the recruiters first and foremost you simply are researching. Do NOT let them convince you to do anything more than take the ASVAB test. Compare all 5 branches.

I'll shoot you a PM on how not to get fucked by the military. I see it happen to WAY too many people.

Offline azcrazie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »
Its 100% your choice.
A lot of people in my family and a lot of people I know are enlisted; as well members of my family went to college and got commissions and they loved their time in the service. As well you can do a year in college ROTC (over 800 colleges have an ROTC program) with no commitment to the service and then you can decide to go for a commission, enlist, or go on with college and choose not to serve. Some people say you’d be  throwing your life away (I don’t agree with that but people say it), some say it’s your duty to your fellow countrymen, some say its better to get a degree first, whatever you choose to do is your own business.

Offline zachbusch

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 09:37:40 PM »
join the coast guard!! you get to fight pirates! ride around the bay in cool little zodiac boats, scare the shit out of illegals in J hawks and when you retire you get a house in La Jolla and free space in the harbor  :lol:
call sigh: EZ           (EZ41)

SVT (602)
ADF (602)
Team Thearpists (858)
8Bit Senshi (858)

Offline BoneMan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
2 cents about the military from a recent Navy vet...

If you have a choice to go to college first... GO TO COLLEGE!  This should be choice #1!  If you still want the military do it as an officer.  Like the one post mentioned definately look at ROTC programs.

If finishing college is not something you expect to do and you plan to go in the military.. then dont wait.  If you fart around for a few years then join... you'll be a 20 something joining with a bunch of 17-18 year olds who will be the same paygrade as you.  Basically you'll be behind the curve a few years.

Some things I learned while in the Navy...
If you join enlisted... don't get caught up in the grand myths about the GI bill and college fund etc... The percent of enlisted military that go on to get college degrees while in or after the military is almost non-existent.  You won't have time to go to school while your in and when you get out you will most likely be supporting yourself.. GI bill or not full time school is not practical especially if you have a family at that point.  Not impossible, but unless your a good student now.. not likely.

Things to consider based on your reason for joining...
Airforce = Nicest bases and facilities by far.  Larger portion of their budget is for base facilities.  Good choice if military is going to be your career.  Quality of life far exceeds any other branch for you and your family.
Navy = Best vocational training by far.  Sailors learn multiple job skills that would be considered full time jobs for other branches.  Training is also better suited for civilian jobs.  Best choice to get some good vocational training and get out.  Going to sea sucks.. except for foriegn ports of couse.
Army/Marines = Great if your looking for a lot of PT and "adventure" and challenge.  Talk to recent Army or Marine vets to get a better scoop (not a recruiter).

The thing I remember about the military...."you cant get fired and you can't quit"  and 10% of the people do 90% of the work.  Depending on the type of person you are, this can be a good or a bad thing.  Remember this applies to everyone else not just you, to include all the dumb @$$ commanders you'll have and as we say in the Navy "shipmates" which we sarcastically use in lieu of the term "buddy fucker"

I Joined the Navy enlisted when I was 20, did 1 enlistment and got out. Glad I did (joining that is), one of the best things I've done.

Offline thunter

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:59:06 AM »
my advice is to do something big and fun before you go in cuz your only young once. you never know what will happen when you get there. Regrets stick with you (to all who know what i mean)

Offline Pick

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 06:42:26 AM »
Well I hate to disagree with bone man but you can quit if you have a qualifing medical conditions ( not that easy to get out that way)

And you can get fired but there is a difference between getting fired in the military and the real world

Differnce being you get fired from the military in the form of a dis-honorable discharge is like having a felony in the real world

And another small thing to remember telling you boss (superior officer) to "f*** off" can land you in the brig
He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious. - Sun Tzu

Offline CBDennis

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »
Just remember no matter what contract you sign, you are signing an 8 year federal contract that you MUST complete. So say you sign up for 3 years in active duty, you either have to re-enlist for the other 5 or serve it in the reserves or inactive reserves. Any way you pull they have you for 8 years. Get a good recruiter, take a current military member with you to make sure the recruiter doesn't try and F with you or your contract. Take into consideration that there are 2 wars going on and the likely hood of you going over there SEVERAL times is a real possibility. My person opinion is if you can get money, scholarships, grants or whatever for college go that route. It is EXTREMLY hard, depending on your MOS to do college on active duty. If you can't go to college and the military is still on your mind, sit down and talk with someone that’s in or has been in, that the recruiter doesn't set up. Talk to several people that have been in, that way you get lots of different opinions. Find a combat vet and have them give you there experience, what they are willing to share, and see if the military is still something you want to pursue. I loved my time in the Army, wouldn't trade it for anything. But it has changed my life forever. There are something’s that I missed out on, but also experienced some things that only 1% of Americas will ever experience. If you chose to go, good for you, I wish you all the best. If not, good for you, there are lots of ways to serve your country without joining the military, there are lots of DOD and Home-land security jobs out there. If you have any questions fell free to ask me. I can only give my experience though 7 years active duty and 1 year reserve. I’d be happy to help any way I can. Good luck.

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 10:47:43 AM »
Now that I think about it, you'd make double the pay being a security guard at the gate of a local military installation. I know at Fort Campbell, KY those guys made $18 an hour to glance at ID's and inspect random vehicles.

Offline supporter

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.goarmy.com
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 11:49:21 AM »
Quote from: "CBDennis"
Take into consideration that there are 2 wars going on and the likely hood of you going over there SEVERAL times is a real possibility.

Great advise, however, the war in Iraq is turning down. There is a better chance of going to afganistan, and Iraq turns into a peace keeping operation. At least that is the reports I'm getting.

I myself enlisted 3 months outside of high school after signing up for the delayed entry program when I was 17, and never looked back. Same advise on what everyone said, never believe your recruiter, and ask around.

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 11:58:45 AM »
Quote from: "supporter"
Quote from: "CBDennis"
Take into consideration that there are 2 wars going on and the likely hood of you going over there SEVERAL times is a real possibility.

Great advise, however, the war in Iraq is turning down. There is a better chance of going to afganistan, and Iraq turns into a peace keeping operation. At least that is the reports I'm getting.

I myself enlisted 3 months outside of high school after signing up for the delayed entry program when I was 17, and never looked back. Same advise on what everyone said, never believe your recruiter, and ask around.

My friend is on his 2nd tour in Iraq and has been told he'll be going back a 3rd time in March if he re-enlists.

Offline carbon14c

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 12:01:24 PM »
from what i heard, re-enlisting in a combat "zone" or whatever, equates to a nice big bonus..

another thing to contemplate if you're all about the money..
see you space cowboy...

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 01:06:28 PM »
Wait until October 1st, go to the recruiter, and see what is available. All the bonuses and small odd jobs will be available, and dwindle down from there until the following October.