Author Topic: Footwear.  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Toast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Footwear.
« on: October 02, 2010, 03:56:15 PM »
I'm touching on probably the most overlooked piece of equipment, at least in airsoft, footwear.
Figure a good topic would be where everyone can add what they use and their experiences.
The standard and most popular practice seems to be going out and purchasing a pair of new or old military issue boots.
Even worse is tennis shoes. But I've seen both at several games, of course the latter is very rare at the bigger games.
When I first started acquiring gear I spent probably $20 on a set of these.
Standard desert boots. they come in other colors as well.

After playing in them and realizing what a POS they are I did the typical doctoring; insoles, socks, moleskin.
Of course this was like polishing a turd so I did a little research on good kicks.
There's plenty of great boots out there and many can be used not just for airsoft but for hiking and everyday use.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a tight ass most of the time and I used my old boots close to 2 years.
But I'll spend the money where it matters and I got sick and tired of aching feet, knees and lower back.
All these issues I concluded to my footwear and I was right.
I eventually decided I wanted a set of Asolo FSN 95's. They had good reviews, I know guys that use them and I liked the way they looked. A bonus was that they were available locally, probably the BEST reason now that I look back.
I saved up some coin and finally went to buy them. REI carries them locally. A very important note, I wore the socks I would use with them. They had my size, laced them up and BUZZZZZZ, they didn't fit my feet "right". They had a couple pinch points. Oh well, every pair of feet are different. Now one of the guys I shoot plastic with recommended some different boots not but a couple weeks before so I tried a pair of those on. DING DING DING! Winner! I bought these.

Lowa Zephyr Desert Mid's. Probably THE MOST comfortable pair of footwear I have ever worn. I'm talking ALL shoes.
They're super light, supportive and have excellent grip. I highly recommend you try them. Worth every penny.
Now that I know the sizing I plan on getting a pair of the same in high GTX's.
Now that being said, don't get them because someone recommends them or sneaky special forces guys use them. Here's some important points on boot shopping.
1. Try them on. Don't guess on the internet. Many of these GOOD boots are made in Europe and the sizing is different.
2. Walk around in them for at least 10 minutes. The sales people will let you. Any fitment problems besides hardcore use should present themselves.
3. Wear the socks you are planning on using with them. I took a pair of desert socks which also let me plan for thicker ones when it's colder.

I'd like to hear what you guys are using, it's not about "Gucci" boots, unless of course that's what works for you.
Plus you can be tacticool and I'm a geardo.
For me, $200 for footwear is worth it in comfort, durability and looks. Some guys love issue boots.
Even some of the cross trainers are great. And no this is not a "anti tennis shoe" debate so let's not go that route.
Let's see what you got. Post up!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Oderint Dum Metuant"

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Footwear.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:18:38 PM »
I love love love my Converse boots. They're the most comfortable sneake... err... combat boot I have ever worn. Comfortable for extended wear in most weather (I've done a few feet of snow up to about 110degrees in the sand), and keep your feet happy and dry. On my feet at least.

Also, you can get them in wide and half sizes... a huge plus for people with duck feet/flippers (like me).

Offline zachbusch

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 05:10:19 PM »
i have desert hot weather boots, jungle weat weather boots with spike plates to keep those long pricks from stickin in my heel and even a pair of mickey boots for the snow games

got em all for under 50$ at a surplus shop sale
call sigh: EZ           (EZ41)

SVT (602)
ADF (602)
Team Thearpists (858)
8Bit Senshi (858)

Offline CBDennis

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 05:18:29 PM »
Belleville 390 DES Hot Weather Tan Combat Boots. Best boots I have ever owned. Lasted two deployments to Iraq and still going strong; minus some oil, blood, sand, and mud.

Offline Wolfan8or

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 12:40:37 PM »
Quote from: "Toast"
1. Try them on. Don't guess on the internet. Many of these GOOD boots are made in Europe and the sizing is different.
2. Walk around in them for at least 10 minutes. The sales people will let you. Any fitment problems besides hardcore use should present themselves.
3. Wear the socks you are planning on using with them. I took a pair of desert socks which also let me plan for thicker ones when it's colder.

Where in the valley can I check out high quality military boots? Cuz I definitely don't want to just buy some random shoe off the net I've never worn before.

Offline airsoftguy01

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »
Quote from: "Wolfan8or"
Quote from: "Toast"

Where in the valley can I check out high quality military boots? Cuz I definitely don't want to just buy some random shoe off the net I've never worn before.

REI in Tempe. Southwest corner of priest and southern.

You might pay a little more than online but they stock the Lowa Desert mids in both Waterproof and non. Right now the waterproofs are on sale from 190 to 129. I was just in there two days ago. I tried both the Lowa desert mids and the Asolo Fugitive's on.

If you get a boot that is not on sale, become a member for $20 and save 20%.

Offline Morgann0

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »
Myself and a couple of the guys I play with have 5.11 Desert HRT boots.  I love em, and would definitely get another pair after mine have had it.
\"All you touch, and all you see, is all your life will ever be.\"

Offline Toast

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 03:19:16 PM »
Quote from: "airsoftguy01"
REI in Tempe. Southwest corner of priest and southern.

You might pay a little more than online but they stock the Lowa Desert mids in both Waterproof and non. Right now the waterproofs are on sale from 190 to 129. I was just in there two days ago. I tried both the Lowa desert mids and the Asolo Fugitive's on.

If you get a boot that is not on sale, become a member for $20 and save 20%.

That's a smoking price on the Lowa's.
"Oderint Dum Metuant"

Offline Ivan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 12:30:02 PM »
I just noticed this review. Good write up.
Im an operator....

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 02:17:59 PM »

Danner TFX

Bought these after Basic, comfy, nice ankle support. I really don't mind a sweaty foot, I have plenty of socks. I wore these initially in A'stan, and then switched to Merrell Moabs.

Merrell Moab

These were great in the mountains and on dismounts, I ended up wearing these all the time and only put on my regulation boots when we had higher ups around and on the trip home. I wore those all the time as they were freaky comfortable. Very breathable, a little chilly in -20o F, but that's life.

And finally/most recently:

North Face Vindicator Mid GTX

Haven't really done much aside from wearing them out and about. They are very comfy so far and have gotten great reviews. I'll update this once I get more time with them on.

Offline Toast

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 02:27:45 PM »
HavHav I looked at the Moab's as well. Thanks for adding those here!
To hear a suggestion from someone that uses a particular boot in service and loves them is a great addition.
There are some great boots out there if people are willing to take some time and
do some research, try them on, etc. The Desert Lowa's are more hiking boot than a "combat" boot
but the color scheme looks more like military issue, though the height is shorter.
Invest some time and effort and believe me your feet will thank you!
"Oderint Dum Metuant"

Offline Ivan

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »
For the past year I've been running quite a bit. I have 2 pairs of running (street) shoes. Im looking at something I can run in on rough terrain and street.  I've been using the new balance 4something series "trail rated" shoes but they don't have any type of ankle support. My route consists of trail then concrete and some asphalt.   Those Moabs look like they'd fit the bill.
Im an operator....

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 04:03:15 PM »
The Moabs aren't anything I'd cross country run in.

I use Salomon Tech Amphibians for that.

Offline Ivan

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 09:57:44 AM »
Not enough ankle support for my needs.
Im an operator....

Offline Pick

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »
I spent about 120$ on a pair of cocran jump boots II about 4 years ago and the soul is still almost like new. They are probally the best pair of boots I have ever owned.
He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious. - Sun Tzu