Author Topic: So you want a gas powered sniper rifle...  (Read 9050 times)

Offline sinfulpain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: So you want a gas powered sniper rifle...
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »
Quote from: "XavierMace"
While it's awesome that you've only spent $150 on the gun, it's normally a $600.  10' off from 200' with a $600 "sniper rifle" is horrid.  Being able to compensate for it doesn't magically make it better.  I'm glad you are happy with the gun, you being happy with that performance doesn't mean it's good performance.  I think most people buying a $600 gun would expect a little better than 10' at 200'.

I never said it made it better. I stated what happened.

Would I recommend someone to spend $600 on the gun? No. If Ares fixed the more major problems, then I would. If they can get one in good/great condition for $300 or less, I'd me much more likely to recommend it to them, since you don't have to spend much in upgrades to get it to perform well (new bucking, quality tightbore, and replace all the o-rings, and replace all the screws, minus the 2 screws attaching the gun to the body, with stainless ones, since the stock ones are garbage, and the heads WILL strip).

I guess I'm just trying to say that the gun isn't the POS people make it out to be. Just needs about $200 put into it, to make it perform optimally (add on $150-$200 if you want to go HPA).

~Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 04:12:24 PM »
Then I guess we have different definitions of what qualifies as a crappy gun and performing "well".  Based on what you've stated right now, a stock KJW or Bell M700 will outperform your gun at this point.  Not to mention your list of necessary upgrades isn't exactly a drop in the bucket since even if you manage to score a deal on the gun and get it for $300, your upgrades put it back to the $500 price range which is back into Tanaka/G&G territory.

Once again, I'm glad you are happy with yours but what exactly are you comparing it to when you say it's good and not a POS?  Generally, I would consider a sniper rifle that can't accurately and consistently hit a person at 200ft a POS.

Offline Dilligaf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 09:45:57 AM »
hey gonna have to agree with mace on this one 10 ft knockoff at 200 ft range not worth 600 dollars. i personally know that i can get a cheaper gun and bringing it up to par with a 600 dollar gun for less than that price i just was wondering if people who have had expirience in sniper rifles since i dont have much expirience on the airsoft side would think it would be a good weapon of choice considering price.... its not gonna pay its dues with an accuracy issue right out of the box as well as the upgrades needed for it.... now if the price dropped from 600 to 300 definately a consideration but i do thank both of you for your input....  i think im gonna just work with getting the sniper rifle i currently have up to par and i might even post pictures once i do...

Offline Exarach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 12:05:31 PM »
To be honest, Brian is being really modest here, I have had a few games with him, where I have shot out with my Dragunov, and I will say, His grouping is much much tighter than that. Using his L96, I was able to hit a man sized target, 8/10 times, right around 200ft, the other two times the wind took my shot.

On the other side of the coin, I have said for YEARS that Ares/Star overprice there products by at least $200-$300 so, no doubts on that.

I have used both a Mar. and a KJW gas rifle, and I must say, for the used prices you can find these two at, I would probably take one over a new/used ares.
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?

Offline hdrox88

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • First Sergeant
  • The Wrecking Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »
Being a noob to the gas rifle spectrum, what would one recommend if I were to purchase a Tanaka M700 variant? A stock pre-ban model, or a modded(~$300 in parts) post-ban model? I figure the modded version would seem like the better deal in the long run, but the FPS flexibility of the pre-ban model seems enticing too.
Don't ever heezjack a Heezjacker!
€√εΓ¥ßσÐý Ð↕Σ§, ßµτ ⁿΩ┬ €√εΓ¥ßσÐý ╚│√ε$

Fighter Town Paintball & Airsoft

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »
Tanaka guns hold their value VERY well compared to most other airsoft gun so you aren't going to save any money going with the older model if anything you might pay a little more.  Other than the adjustable FPS, they are pretty much the same so it's really a matter of how badly you want the PCS system.  As far as one that's already been upgraded, it depends on the upgrades and if the person upgraded it knew what they were doing.