Author Topic: OC Arizona. -Open Carrying in Arizona-  (Read 3078 times)

KillerDragn

• Trade Count: (0)
OC Arizona. -Open Carrying in Arizona-
« on: April 28, 2011, 05:31:41 PM »
I'm too young to legally carry a handgun openly by two years, but am planning to purchase a handgun through private transfer for self defense (use my taser till then, yes, i have a taser, was purchased by my father for my mother when she goes out, but I use it when i go out after dark, even though its illegal to carry)

So does anyone here have any stories relating to open carry? Police confrontations or detainment? I hear good things about Arizona LEO's knowing the rights and laws regarding the open carry of firearms.

Also, I haven't been able to find this online for arizona, but ill call the non-emergency number to request to talk to a LEO and ask if need be,

2 things:

One: Is it illegal to carry the firearm hot? -loaded-, I know in California you can not carry a loaded firearm, it has to be unloaded.
Two: Thigh/Drop-Leg holsters, I know it may seem "tacticool" to wear a thigh rig instead of a traditional SERPA or hip/belt holster, But I hear that if the "Illegal to carry loaded" is true in arizona, you may not be able to have the magazine attached to the gun in any way, Most of you know that holsters -Such as on Crossdraw vests or drop leg holsters- there is a Magazine pouch atop the weapon on the sights on the outside of the holster as seen below.

Would it perhaps be illegal to have your magazine in said pouch, it is rather close to the weapon and could be mis-construed as being attached to the firearm.

I know this could be easily avoided by simply using a traditional belt/hip holster and having your magazines on the opposing hip or close by on the belt, but when winter comes around, things do get harsh and cold, Wearing large hoodies or layers, jackets and such, i'd or someone may most likely accidentally have the clothing atop/over the firearm, thus becoming a Concealed Carry issue!

Sure, if your over or @ 21, this is not a issue as you can Legally CC in most places without a permit, but as being under 21, this would pose a issue as if confronted by a LEO and spotting fore-mentioned firearm, would be viewed as a violation for unlawfully carrying a weapon concealed.

Large clothing + Belt holster, would seem bad for me come winter, and a drop leg wouldnt be in the way and easily go over a large set of cargos (for the winter) and not be considered concealed.

Thanks for reading and look forward to your opinions on this topic.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline satallite

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
Re: OC Arizona. -Open Carrying in Arizona-
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:00:32 PM »
This isn't California. You don't have to worry about their god awful laws. I do not have a CCW and I am not an LEO.
1. I carry Condition 1. Which is mag in, round in the chamber. I sometimes also carry an additional mag on me depending on where i am going.
2. I really confused about this question, But I've never seen anyone carry in a drop leg.
.308 holes leave empty souls
.308=/=.223

Offline irishmaster

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »
you should just take a concealed carry class.  You cant get your permit yet.  But it will answer all your question.

my wife started carrying a g19, she took the class, didnt want the permit.  Just wanted to know the law.

If you do get in trouble, the last thing you want to say is, "Some guy on AA, said he was a cop, and what i was doing was ok."

Just to let you know, when i was 17, i carried a King Cobra .357, open carry.  But that was 19 years ago.  And when i was in high school, we use to leave our guns in the trunks of cars after dove hunting.  and yes they were on campus.

Times have changed!!
Fighter Town Airsoft
HAS THE BEST
DAM FIELDS (5) IN THE STATE

Offline irishmaster

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:14:25 PM »
The class will tell you when,you can draw your gun, point, and shoot.  Just because "you" think your in trouble, dont think the police will always agree with you.  You better dam well be sure you can PROVE it.

Remember, the supreme court of the united states said, The police are not here to protect or serve the public.  they are there to arrest anyone that they feel has commited a crime.  and let the courts settle justice.

And having a CCW class under your belt, will help if you ever have to go to court.  god forbid....
Fighter Town Airsoft
HAS THE BEST

Offline Paradox

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sergeant Major
  • Don't tread on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:28:59 PM »
Question. Who in the right mind would wear a leg drop for civilian purpose and walk around town. You have got to be utterly crazy.
Team Phantom(Retired),2006-2013
Six Charlie

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 10:30:43 PM »
For the love of... Don't open carry in a drop leg holster. There are too many wannabe mall ninjas running around as it is. And to all those guys who CCW or OC airsoft guns, cut that shit out, for real, you know who you are, I have seen you in the Gearbox.
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 12:26:13 AM »
If you want info about carrying real steel...

go to a real steel forum.

Like arizonashooting.

Then take a class. I recommend John Hansen with Black Wolf CCW. They have other classes, and John is one of the more knowledgeable people I've talked to regarding gun laws in AZ.

If you wear a drop-leg... and aren't displaying a real LE badge... you are A. The biggest tool. Ever. and B. encumbering your movement for no real advantage.

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 02:26:19 AM »
Quote from: "axisofoil"
If you wear a drop-leg... and aren't displaying a real LE badge... you are A. The biggest tool. Ever. and B. encumbering your movement for no real advantage.

I was waiting to see if I was really going to be the only person to say that.  I'm glad to know I wasn't the only person thinking it.

I would also say if you can't take ONE day to actually learn about the laws regarding using your gun against another person by taking the CCW class, then you probably shouldn't be carrying one.

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »
Get a better insulating thin jacket... easily tucks behind an OC holster.

I've got a few water-proofish softshells from columbia that are thinner than most fleece jackets but any of them will keep me toasty down to about 5 or 10 degrees when it's raining, snowing or whatnot. Not sure how 'heavy' of clothing you're wearing in Surprise... but I imagine it isn't full-weight parkas or anything.

Have you ever worn a drop-leg? the ones that you pictured don't hold a gun securely... feel like they're wobbling back and forth on your leg all day... not comfortable in the slightest.

If you get one like a safariland or serpa... it won't feel secure until you get it good and snug, at which point it will be noticeably there. Again, not comfortable.

And really... people that wear tacticool sh(& like that just give the rest of us a bad name.

Offline stoneaglewolf

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tacticalmilsim.com
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 10:51:57 AM »
Open carry, especially something as obvious as a drop leg rig just means that when a bad guys decides to start shooting he will shoot at you first. It would be like playing poker with your cards on the table face up.

A CCW course is a great way to learn about the law and afterward you will pray that you never have to use your gun. I am not an LEO or lawyer so I will not chime in on any specifics.

Talk softly and carry a 'big hammer', concealed!
-Stone

http://www.TacticalMilSim.com
  Honor the Fallen SPC Marc A. Anderson 1/75th Ranger KIA 3/8/02, AF

Offline Hawk

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 12:14:01 PM »
Like others have said, take a quality CCW course or at the very least, familiarize yourself with ARS Title 13 chapters 4 (justification of defense and use of force) and chapters 31 (weapons). I've seen too many people wrongly believe that they can fire a warning shot, shoot at someone for walking across their property, etc. The best thing you can do is know what/when you can carry and what the law allows you to do in regards to that weapon. If you're confused, seek legal advise from an attorney. LEO don't provide legal advise.

Also, dont get the drop leg. The one in question won't retain your weapon well. The only quality drop legs available are in the $100+ range. If you want a holster that you can wear with a jacket, consider a shoulder holster, though that has obvious drawbacks as well.

Offline irishmaster

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 12:31:40 PM »
Oh Sh*t Hawk.  I almost fell out of my chair, when i read warning shot.  I cant stop laughing...
Fighter Town Airsoft
HAS THE BEST

Offline Ghostsequel

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 05:36:18 AM »
Please, I'm begging you, please educate yourself before you carry a weapon.  If you don't and continue with what you're planning on doing, at best you're going to get harrassed, at worst you're going to get yourself thrown in jail or shot.

Take a concealed carry course, or an intro to firearms course.  Spend some time reading ARS.  Don't watch youtube for info on your gun rights.  When/if you choose to open carry, buy a good belt holster with retention, and don't wear a drop-leg, for God's sake.  If you have a drop-leg holster and you aren't a cop or a soldier and in uniform/on duty, you deserve whatever shit you catch for it.

Offline DangleBanger

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 06:47:02 AM »
Well you really shouldn't be carrying around a handgun openly on your hip, leg, or what ever. That's just looking for trouble. Only military and police should be allowed to "openly carry", because they're actually providing a service. Open carrying civilians are just showing off. Plus it allows the "bad guys" to know what you are packing and know where it is.

Ya'll kids shouldn't be carrying around guns openly anyway. It just looks ridiculous. Get a 9mm compact pistol and put it on your ankle under your pants. Or just stick it in your pocket or something, but for experienced firearm handlers like myself, keep it concealed. And wait until you're actually old enough to BUY and OWN a firearm before you talk about openly carrying one.
Don't "get some", Marines! Go get ALL of it!!!!

Offline Paradox

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sergeant Major
  • Don't tread on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 09:10:25 AM »
Dude you have to be the biggest tool as of yet.

The second you put your hand on that pistol on your leg some guy will shoot your stupid ass. Even if your just scratching your leg.

Then we can all laugh at your Darwin award.
Team Phantom(Retired),2006-2013
Six Charlie