Author Topic: Thinking about the lack of Airsoft areas  (Read 8135 times)

Offline The Squawkin' Chicken

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Wandering Justin
Thinking about the lack of Airsoft areas
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »
I've only been in the forum a short time - but it's pretty clear there's not many places to play in the Valley. I've put a bit of thought and Google map browsing into this. I have no idea what sort of history local players have with governments and property owners, so bear with me. I have some ideas for possible locations - some are fairly central, with the others more to the east. Any thoughts on these, whether about suitability or where to start in getting permission?

Near Reach 11 Sports Complex (Phoenix) - Some options east. Government bureaucracy an obvious concern.
National Cemetery of Arizona (Phoenix) - Maybe southeast of the cemetery?
Evergreen Golf Course (Salt River Maricopa Indian Community) - One McDowell, between Country Club and Alma School. Abandoned, in disrepair, easy access.
Scottsdale 6 drive-in (SRMIC) - Closed for now. Maybe not much cover, awesome location. Completely walled in.
Gila River Memorial Airport (Chandler) - No flight operations, easy access. Owned by Gila River Airport Authority (ie, tribal government). Huge space, good ground cover but also lots of bare space.

Offline Red Devil

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about the lack of Airsoft areas
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:53:17 PM »
Ohh you are gonna get replies for this post. Some not so positive.
82nd Airborne 1989-1993 Rangers Lead The Way

Age,fac ut gaudeam!

• Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Wandering Justin
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »
Fair enough. I'm interested in helping, and the starting points are figuring out the boundaries and asking questions.

Offline printezis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private First Class
  • Name: Antonios
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:04:09 PM »
It seems that you have put some thought into this.. and i think we could use another field South of Phx, as there are quite a few North (including Hatfield, Fort Adobe, Fighter Town, the Rebel Union games, etc.) Also, there was another thread posted from some people in Ahwatukee looking for places near by.
It would be interesting to hear what others have to say about the options you posted.

Gila River Memorial Airport sounds great.. but as you mentioned, although not operational, it is owned by the Airport Authority.
Doesn't that mean that you need their permission to use the area?

As for Scottsdale 6 Drive-In, i believe it is too close to the street. I believe that you -have to- stay out of sight if you are going to do this in a rather populated area.

The Evergreen Golf Course looks promising, but who owns that place?

Offline Red Devil

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »
I was told as a train of thought. If you can use a real firearm out there its probably ok to play there. I also live in the east valley and have some feelers out there. I know some of the vets will steer  you in the right direction.

Age,fac ut gaudeam!

• Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Wandering Justin
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 08:10:32 PM »
Gila River Memorial Airport sounds great.. but as you mentioned, although not operational, it is owned by the Airport Authority.
Doesn't that mean that you need their permission to use the area?

As for Scottsdale 6 Drive-In, i believe it is too close to the street. I believe that you -have to- stay out of sight if you are going to do this in a rather populated area.

The Evergreen Golf Course looks promising, but who owns that place?

We'd need permission in any of these places. We just have to ask the right people, and the worst they can say is "no." But a "yes" or two changes things for this forum. The drive-in, if I remember right, has a nice thick wall to hide everything from excitable eyes.

Evergreen - my favorite by far. There's gotta be a fence up around the place, possibly with a phone number. That's where I'd start. The county also has property ownership maps online - it'll take me some time to dig around to see if it covers the reservation.

Offline Red Devil

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 08:15:19 PM »
Check with bureau of land management. I spoke to them briefly and you cam get a permit to play on that land. There is also a place at the end  of peralta trail head you can play at with a tonto pass. Now I don't know if its a pass per vehicle or for everybody.

Age,fac ut gaudeam!

Offline tombomb

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:54 PM »
Here's good places to airsoft and these are all in Phoenix:

40th Street dead end that's south of Jomax Rd.
The desert south of the neighborhood that's southeast of Tatum and Jomax
The SW corner of 16th Street and Deer Valley Rd (Union Mine)
The NW corner of 16th Street and Deer Valley Rd (old rock quarry abandoned since 1981)
Where Desert Peak Pkwy dead ends which is west of Cave Creek Rd and Pinnacle Peak Rd.
Where Cave Creek Dam Road dead ends which is in that neighborhood NW of Cave Creek Rd and Deer Valley Rd
The watering hole at the 56th Street alignment north of Pinnacle Peak Rd.
The desert north of 7th Street and Alameda Dr.
The Desert west of North Valley Pkwy and Bronco Butte Dr.

If you can't find these places using Google Maps, Bing Maps, etc.  for the love of God don't PM me about it.  I'm just throwing places out there.  This information is solely for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as places that are "legal" to engage in "airsoft" "airsofting" "milsim" and any other activity that utilizes replica firearms that project bbs.

Offline Mooncruiser

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Good spot: just west of Picketpost Trailhead off US 60 west of Superior. Forest Service administered, miles of variable terrain. Car accessible, held games there before. Named it "Picketpost Warrior AO".
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 06:34:55 PM »
Good spot: just west of Picketpost Trailhead off US 60 west of Superior. Forest Service administered, miles of variable terrain. Car accessible, held games there before. Named it "Picketpost Warrior AO".

I remember the last time I was out there, some snow had just fallen and the temps were just right. It might be a bit of a drive for some people, but its still a beautiful place to host a game at.
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.

Offline Red Devil

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »
Mooncruiser do you have map coordinates for that place? If so send them to me.

Age,fac ut gaudeam!

Offline wolfenblaze

• Staff Sergeant
  • IF all else fails BLOW IT UP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 03:36:18 AM »
also lets not forget there some abandon military airfields and bases here in  AZ like Dateland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dateland_Army_Airfield   also i found this website of abandon ww2 airfields many sadly which  are now housing and job places but there still a few fields left untouched we can look at. http://www.airfields-freeman.com/AZ/Airfields_AZ.htm

who knows one day we have a airsoft battle involving  Camo painted Twin prop planes dropping off Blufor into opfor base ^_^.

FOR JUSTICe and freedom

• Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Wandering Justin
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 08:26:39 PM »
I've spent no small amount of time on that abandoned airfields site. I also found this on a website about ghost towns and abandoned places: http://www.ghosttownaz.info/casa-grande-domes.php

I figure a place like that would make DarrK go crazy.

Offline Wolfz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 12:55:46 AM »
the drive in sounds like fun. Add some cars (ones at the junkyard) for added realism. Maybe put up some buildings...   Ah, the imagination is such a fun thing. But either way, I could easily draw that up. And it would be quite a bit of fun to play at. CQB and Field... in one. You could use the middle building for meeting up. I would have so much fun with this idea.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:58:58 AM by Wolfz »
Don't try to argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to thier level and beat you with experience.

Offline Mooncruiser

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »
-ultimate sniper skill game spot, right across I-17 from Sunset Point Rest Area.
Tall grass and lava rock. Desert everywhere too.
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team