Author Topic: Legal issues regarding airsoft  (Read 9803 times)

Offline AKAvery

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private
    • View Profile
Legal issues regarding airsoft
« on: December 23, 2011, 02:09:25 PM »
I was wondering what the legal issues regarding airsoft were in Gilbert Arizona. If i was walking to a friends house, would it be ok to have my gun slung on my back? What are laws transporting airsoft guns?

Offline Red Devil

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Legal issues regarding airsoft
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 02:21:01 PM »
Would you walk to your friends house with a real rifle slung over your back?
82nd Airborne 1989-1993 Rangers Lead The Way

Age,fac ut gaudeam!

Offline Katana0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
If he's over 18, because of the open carry laws, it maybe legal for him to do so with a real rifle.  I believe the way the law it worded, it should be put in a case, scabbard, or holster, which must be 'wholly or partially visible' to apply under the open carry laws.  If it is advisable or not is another question entirely lol.  Read title 13, chapter 31 of the Arizona revised statutes if you want to know what the law says on it.  Here's a link to Title 13: http://www.azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=13.

When it comes to legal issues, the law rarely states what you can do, only what you can't do.  Sometimes this leaves a bit of grey space in the middle, but with replica firearms, particularly airsoft IMO, it is best to play it safe.  We want to keep our sport out of the news, unless it is something positive like a charity match or something so that we can keep public views on our sport and the people who play it positive =)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 03:25:02 PM by Katana0 »

Offline Dayton

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 09:01:35 PM »
Most of the cities in AZ categorize airsoft guns/air guns under Firearms, due to that they use expanding gas to propel a projectile, Treat them as you would real fire-arms. But being that they are identified as fire-arms in some locales/situations, they may fall under statutes that apply to real firearms.

AZ law states that an object is considered a firearm when it uses an explosion to propel a projectile. I researched it when I was building my AT-4. So Airsoft guns are not technically considered a firearm in AZ. But if you were to build a potato gun or something similar that uses an explosion, that IS considered a firearm, and is illegal to manufacture and/or use with out proper registration.

Airsoft guns do NOT use explosions. AEG's do not use expanding gas either. Gas guns do use expanding gas, but still no explosions.

So Airsoft Rifles are NOT firearms, but depending on where your at, they can still have the same laws as firearms.

Rule of thumb = TREAT YOUR AIRSOFT RIFLE AS A REAL RIFLE WHEN IN PUBLIC!

NEVER let it be seen by the public, always have it in a case. Even in a case, it would not be a good idea to just go walking down the street with a gun case strapped to your back.

If your not sure, DON'T DO IT!
Fox Company | Tournament Locks
Main: JP Polarstar, Magpul PTS ACR, ARES Tavor TAR-21
Side Arm: KWA HK45, KWA Umarex H&K MP7
Other: AT-4, Defusable Bomb, Mortar

Offline spazz

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 11:26:12 PM »
at the very least find something to wrap it up in if you absolutely have to walk to your friends house.
it is not illeagle to posses or own any type of airgun if you are under the age of 18,
it is only illeagle to buy it as a minor.

airsoft guns are NOT considered firearms by any town, city or province in arizona nor by the state of arizona or the fed gov. other wise i would not be able to own them.
i have been to court over my airsoft guns because of my probation. and i was told that as long as i treated then responcibly and only used them for the purpose that they were intended then it was ok for me to have them.

that being said there are some city/town/province's that have instituted that the same rules of use ie. dischargeing in city limits, as real steel, but its not just airsoft that they have instituted the laws for. they instituted the laws for all things that shoot a projectile by allmost any meens.

also since az doesnt have a law restricting concealed carry anymore and airsoft are not considered firearms, there is no problem with concealing them for transport to your friends.
never underestimate the things you dont know.
P90 is no longer the b***h gun!
AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline AKAvery

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 04:44:05 AM »
Thanks I was just trying to get a sense of the actual laws. I was actually approached by an officer on my way back from a game, and he actually said he wanted to get into airsoft himself and he just told me it was ok for me to have the guns with me, but he just said to not look like im waving my guns around.

Offline Red Devil

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 08:10:24 AM »
Wait a minute dude! You told me that you were walking to a friends house with it and you were stopped by police because it was out in the open. So which one is it? I really hate decievers so make it good because i still have your p.m you sent me that states the same thing i just said!

Age,fac ut gaudeam!

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 09:37:55 AM »
also since az doesnt have a law restricting concealed carry anymore and airsoft are not considered firearms

FALSE.

They don't require a permit any more.  There's still restrictions on carrying a concealed weapon.  One of which is your age which obviously would apply here.

Offline AKAvery

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 10:34:59 AM »
You misread Red Devil, the pm reads like this.

While me and another friend were trying to cross a street after getting back from an airsoft war, a cop apprehended us and he just told us not to be waving our weapons around or anything like that. I was just wondering about what are the actual laws.

Offline AKAvery

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 10:35:54 AM »
I'll just carry it in a duffle bag, I guess.

Offline Red Devil

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 10:51:10 AM »
Well as you being a minor maybe your parents should have better control of you and your airsoft guns.That is why I like phantoms game rules. 18+ only. Carrying these airsoft weapons around like this kid does is just going to give this sport a much more negative approach. thats my thought!

Age,fac ut gaudeam!

Offline spazz

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
also since az doesnt have a law restricting concealed carry anymore and airsoft are not considered firearms

FALSE.

They don't require a permit any more.  There's still restrictions on carrying a concealed weapon.  One of which is your age which obviously would apply here.

thaks for the clarification mace. i havent realy looked it up since im not allowed to carry at all at the moment, i just know it was on the news that you didnt need a permit anymore.
i will have to look it up so i know the laws for myself again here soon.
but there is no law about carrying airsoft guns concealed, since they arent actualy firearms.
although it would be a lil hard for anyone to conceal an assult rifle.
never underestimate the things you dont know.
P90 is no longer the b***h gun!
AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline AKAvery

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 04:06:15 PM »
Red Devil, the last thing I want to do is give airsoft a bad name. I posted here for advice for just that reason, and I respect that you just want to play with 18+.

Offline Bambi-troopers

• Sergeant Major
  • ...ice ice bambi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »
Alright, there are alot of dumb kids out there but not all of us dumb. If i ever take an airsoft rifle to a freinds ill throw it in the car and get my parents to drive me there. Simple. To take an airsoft gun out into public is going to bring anything good. theres no benifts to it. Keep it in your car, and in your house. Bring it out when you are going to use it.

Just wondering, doesnt it say in some of the mannuels to not bring guns out in public...oh well, doesnt matter.

Simple rule: dont be dumb and use your brain.
Jacob Schaeffer
W1A

Offline AKAvery

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 05:18:17 PM »
I couldnt really get a ride at the time, and I realize it was a poor choice. I love the sport and I want it to continue for many more years.