Author Topic: Echo1 booted from Shot Show  (Read 4218 times)

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
Echo1 booted from Shot Show
« on: January 19, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »
Looks like Cybergun's tired of dicking around with them.  Echo1 was handed a court summons and their booth was shut down today.  Rumor is Cybergun has filed two lawsuits against them (with FN Herstal).  No details beyond that, but Echo1 has removed their Scar's (ASC) from their website.

Offline ghost1216

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Echo1 booted from Shot Show
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 07:27:51 PM »
Wow...definatly not good for buisness

Offline kman94

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »
This just makes me want to shake my head in disbelief at the ammount of greed Cybergun posses's.

Offline xTanTricK

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 07:33:59 PM »
Trades don't do anything for the guns performance anyway. I'd rather have a gun that performs well without trades than have a gun that does the same thing with trades. All the trades seem to do is make it harder for airsofters to posess a certain type of gun they want.
Whiskey One Alpha

Offline bailey5671

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRedviper12?feature=mhum
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 07:34:21 PM »
it bet their FAL lineup is in trouble too.
The Only Thing You Should Feel When Shooting Someone is Recoil...

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:43:13 PM »
They aren't just protecting trademarks, they are protecting trade dress (IE same reason Glocks are hard to come by).  If Cybergun/FN can argue that you can recognize a Scar as a Scar without the trademarks (and have trade dress) than E1 is SOL.  Bye bye E1 Scar's. 

This just makes me want to shake my head in disbelief at the ammount of greed Cybergun posses's.

It's amazing how the company in the legal right is made out to be the bad guy.  Especially since E1 does basically the exact same thing as Cybergun does.  E1 knew what they were doing, why do you think most of their products are licensed?  But they continue to take their products that aren't and take them to a show and basically flaunt them in front of the companies that own the rights to that product.  I'm shocked it took this long for something to happen.

If you started selling Ferrari knockoffs, and showed them off at the Detroit auto show, how long do you think it would take before Ferarri's lawyers showed up?

it bet their FAL lineup is in trouble too.

I believe the M249 and FAL are public domain.  The Scar, P90, and F2000 are not however.

Offline bailey5671

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRedviper12?feature=mhum
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »
The Only Thing You Should Feel When Shooting Someone is Recoil...

Offline Rogue Fox

• First Lieutenant
  • 6CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
I get the issue on trades and such. But a restraining order, really? Is cybergun afraid a bunch of E1 ninjas are going to ambush them with bb guns?

Echo 1 scars suck anyway
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:07:55 PM by Rogue Fox »

When the shit hits the fan, dont be in front of the fan.

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 08:11:10 PM »
I get the issue on trades and such. But a restraining order, really? Is cybergun afraid a bunch of E1 ninjas are going to ambush them with bb guns?

Echo 1 scars suck anyway

Word on the grapevine is one of E1's employees assaulted a Cybergun employee at the show.

Offline DesertRush

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account, CHECK IT OUT!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 08:14:57 PM »

Echo 1 scars suck anyway

Word on the grapevine is one of E1's employees assaulted a Cybergun employee at the show.

this is just sad.
"God will judge our enemies, we'll arrange the meeting."

Offline xTanTricK

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »

Echo 1 scars suck anyway

I really honestly don't see how any of this helps the airsoft community at all. It seems childish.
Whiskey One Alpha

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 10:53:18 PM »
lolz
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline Mooncruiser

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »
Seem's like I'm always a day late when it comes to getting a FAL.
When does Echo plan to release theirs?
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 11:04:34 PM »
I'd just pickup an A&K from overseas.  I'm sure the E1's are just rebranded A&K's.

Offline vibora

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Corporal
  • Mile High Airsoft
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
What I do find interesting about this is that G&G (the manufacturer of the Cybergun-licensed SCAR) is not in on this lawsuit.  That is what takes the validity of their point down the toilet; the people that make the most off the gun (I hope) appear to not care at all.  I could see an FN/Cybergun/G&G side of the story if a company goes through all the hard work and effort to get the rights to display accurate trademarks, and someone undercuts them with a cheaper (in more ways than one), non-trademarked version.  This, though, seems like their offended that someone didn't take the time to whore themselves out to the highest bidder.  Don't forget that VFC also sells a fully licensed SCAR, and they aren't going after Echo 1 either.

Understand that I am no huge Echo 1 fan.  The G&G SCAR models are better in every way, and if Cybergun keeps licensing their whoreishness to decent manufacturers, I don't really care.  But the day they try and force a CYMA down my throat because it happens to be the only gun with licensed trademarks, I will never buy Cybergun again, if it's even possible at that point.  The way all of this should work in the first place is for real-steel manufacturers to directly license their trademarks to individual airsoft companies, like in the case of the Kriss TDI Super-V (made by KWA with full, and very accurate trademarks without much fuss from Kriss) or, as far as I know, the VFC SCAR series.

And the day SHOT Show opens?  That's when you decide to sue?  Just humiliating.  It almost seems like they are putting thought into how they're going to screw someone up the pooper.  Still, the restraining order is good; nothing like a nice little assault charge to start the day off right. ::)