Author Topic: Thoughts on gillie  (Read 1727 times)

Offline CoyDog8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Thoughts on gillie
« on: August 07, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »
In your guys personal opinion do you think the use of gillie is acceptable for airsoft.  I just want to know if you think that it can be useful in airsoft or just completely over the top and useless. Also when you see someone with it on whats your first thoughts as in "o this dudes a tool" or "cmon its airsoft no need for that".

Offline Phox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on gillie
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »
Depends all on the terrain and pattern of the suit in my opinion. I would love to have one just for shits and giggles personally.

After all, it is a snipers best friend in real world.

Offline SgtCulotta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »
In your guys personal opinion do you think the use of gillie is acceptable for airsoft.  I just want to know if you think that it can be useful in airsoft or just completely over the top and useless. Also when you see someone with it on whats your first thoughts as in "o this dudes a tool" or "cmon its airsoft no need for that".

I'm an ex Army Scout Sniper. I have several Ghillie (notice spelling) suits, however, it would be who if you did, get synthetic. All of mine are real Jute/Burlap so they can run around an additional 20lbs. In this weather you would die.  While my tour in Iraq I only used an upper body style stalker, was also Jute but far less in weight.  The only thing dependent on if you should get one or not, is the terrain features. If you're going to be running around Fightertown with all of the buildings it wouldn't be very smart (I have not had the chance to check it out there, so I don't know what it's like) I've heard there are several fields.

If you have any more questions on the matter feel free to PM me.
I can teach you how to make them, I guess you could call me an "expert" on the matter.

Offline sigma85051

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »
Well I have to add my 2 cents. Just like the other guy said, out here it can be more personal trouble than it is worth. But if u pull it off and take the time to set it up you will be surprised how well u can hide from someone that is either not trained in finding you or unskilled in finding and spotting snipers. I have personal played a game and was asked to find the sniper. He was hidden so well I tripped over him, he rolled over and shot me 2 times with a handgun. So point of this is, it will work if you can do it right and if you can stand the personal issues that come with it. FYI there are many people that will say it's only airsoft or try to make it seem like a stupid idea. Just like my riot shield. But just say to them how come the real military use it, and police, and foreign military, and there police use it. BEACUSE IT WORKS WHEN USED RIGHT!! SO SHUT UP AND PLAY!!
Wolf Pack Omega team leader
G&G customs gotta love em'
The hunt is on!

Offline xgecko54

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 06:46:23 PM »
I played quite a bit of spot the ghillie in the empty space behind my house (no guns or other gear obviously), the burlap ghillie blended in real nice with the dry terrain, so I can imagine it would hide you well. otherwise plus the heat it could be a different story.
-Peter

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:26:38 PM »
Here's my quick and dirty answer.  A ghille is great if you are willing and prepared to fully commit to the role of sniper/recon.  If not, you will be better off not running one because you will get hot and tired quickly, on top of the fact you probably won't notice any advantage while wearing the ghille for the fact that you are not in the right mindset.

Now here's what I mean.  The sniper role in airsoft and milsim is not about racking up kills at long range. To be effective you are mostly gathering information on objectives, enemy positions and movement. Firefights are not your goal but rather to be avoided at all costs. Sure sometimes you may get a chance to take a shot at that commander or leader but those are few far and between in airsoft and any distance you gained with the sniper fps rules are easily lost within 20-30meters. So if you aren't willing to perform the bread and butter of a recon element, then a ghille is generally not suited for most people. They wouldn't find it useful for what they are trying to accomplish anyways. Sniper/recon is just a different mind set.

Now with all that said, if you just want to look the part then that's cool too. You just may find yourself taking it off later in the day.

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline SgtCulotta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:23:58 PM »
Here's my quick and dirty answer.  A ghille is great if you are willing and prepared to fully commit to the role of sniper/recon.  If not, you will be better off not running one because you will get hot and tired quickly, on top of the fact you probably won't notice any advantage while wearing the ghille for the fact that you are not in the right mindset.

Now here's what I mean.  The sniper role in airsoft and milsim is not about racking up kills at long range. To be effective you are mostly gathering information on objectives, enemy positions and movement. Firefights are not your goal but rather to be avoided at all costs. Sure sometimes you may get a chance to take a shot at that commander or leader but those are few far and between in airsoft and any distance you gained with the sniper fps rules are easily lost within 20-30meters. So if you aren't willing to perform the bread and butter of a recon element, then a ghille is generally not suited for most people. They wouldn't find it useful for what they are trying to accomplish anyways. Sniper/recon is just a different mind set.

Now with all that said, if you just want to look the part then that's cool too. You just may find yourself taking it off later in the day.

I agree and disagree.
I don't know how it is here in Arizona, I'm from California and we're able to use a ghillie effectively and correctly, we can sit and pick players off, here maybe not so much.
Now, as Sarge said snipers in any set, airsoft, milsim, and actual in a combat situation in which I've been.
There is a large recon aspect, that's why a good portion of our Army's Snipers were once Cavalry Scouts, as I was. We are trained for reconnaissance, that's what the 19D does. 80% of the time, it's just covering other soldiers, which I assume the main aspect here would be, just as it was in Iraq. We performed more missions to keep insurgents off the MSR, or to keep soldiers alive, not to pick insurgents off. From what I hear, the sims out here, there really is no recon to be gathered unless there were games further north, or on BLM land where there are a lot more terrain features and foliage. Most of the people it seams out here (and I very well could be wrong) are the teenage 1st shooter style of fighter.

Another aspect I agree on and Mad Sarge is completely correct. If you're not in the right mind set, if you cannot lay in 15lbs of additional material and vegetation in triple digit heat. Stay away. In order for a Ghillie suit to be affective, there's minimal movement and when you do (I've taken 3 hours to move 100 yards to get one shot) It's snail paced.  He's right, you don't run, you stalk. You run (and I used to run 4-6 miles every morning for 5 years) And I won't run more than 200' in a ghillie suit.

If you have doubts just don't do it, if you can't sit in one spot without moving for hours. . . Please don't do it, or you'll get a .36 fired at you.

Offline Shdsteel

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 09:18:01 PM »
In addition to what everyone has said, it is just a fun thing to wear as well.

Offline Mooncruiser

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »
Up in the forest fields like Prescott, they work well.
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline SgtCulotta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »
Up in the forest fields like Prescott, they work well.

Once established here in AZ, that's where we plan on moving towards, something further north.
Then I'll sell 2 of the Ghillie suits I created. One of which was worn in Iraq!

Offline nukeduster

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 07:34:05 AM »
I have various ghillie suits that I made for different times of year and locations here in Arizona. My stalker synthetic suit gets the most use though. It works well in Sasco, Prescott, Flagstaff, Mt Ord, Four Peaks, Missile Tanks.. basically anywhere that has vegetation and is not a speedball or CQC location.

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »

I agree and disagree.
I don't know how it is here in Arizona, I'm from California and we're able to use a ghillie effectively and correctly, we can sit and pick players off, here maybe not so much.
Now, as Sarge said snipers in any set, airsoft, milsim, and actual in a combat situation in which I've been.
There is a large recon aspect, that's why a good portion of our Army's Snipers were once Cavalry Scouts, as I was. We are trained for reconnaissance, that's what the 19D does. 80% of the time, it's just covering other soldiers, which I assume the main aspect here would be, just as it was in Iraq. We performed more missions to keep insurgents off the MSR, or to keep soldiers alive, not to pick insurgents off. From what I hear, the sims out here, there really is no recon to be gathered unless there were games further north, or on BLM land where there are a lot more terrain features and foliage. Most of the people it seams out here (and I very well could be wrong) are the teenage 1st shooter style of fighter.

There are still milsim games from time to time, but there are definitely more of the speedball type games out there. Just based off of what you posted here, it sounds like you'd get more out of airsoft if you were with the milsim crowd.

Another aspect I agree on and Mad Sarge is completely correct. If you're not in the right mind set, if you cannot lay in 15lbs of additional material and vegetation in triple digit heat. Stay away. In order for a Ghillie suit to be affective, there's minimal movement and when you do (I've taken 3 hours to move 100 yards to get one shot) It's snail paced.  He's right, you don't run, you stalk. You run (and I used to run 4-6 miles every morning for 5 years) And I won't run more than 200' in a ghillie suit.

If you have doubts just don't do it, if you can't sit in one spot without moving for hours. . . Please don't do it, or you'll get a .36 fired at you.

Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.

Offline SgtCulotta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 04:14:59 PM »

There are still milsim games from time to time, but there are definitely more of the speedball type games out there. Just based off of what you posted here, it sounds like you'd get more out of airsoft if you were with the milsim crowd.

Where might I find the milsim crowd?

Offline Toast

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
I've seen both great and not so great use of ghillie in airsoft.
I saw a couple guys use it correctly at our last game in Strawberry, mostly because the game had a recon element for them.
I also saw it used correctly a couple years ago at LCVIII. Again they were based on a small recon element that was reserved for extremely experienced players.
Most of the time I see player wearing Ghillie it is used incorrectly to the point of comedy. Green piles laying on tan rock formations, guys running and gunning with fire teams Ghillie flapping in the wind as they run. Most of the time it makes them a more obvious and blatant target. I'm going to engage the guy with the long range but slow reload first.
"Oderint Dum Metuant"

Offline xTanTricK

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 06:56:53 PM »

Where might I find the milsim crowd?

Just go to out to some of the games. Most milsim games will be posted in the Games listing section. Then again most games posted aren't milsim but rather pick up games geared toward the video game style run and gun crowd. Those games are a lot of fun if you just want to play airsoft but if you're looking for more of a team styled game keep an eye out for games hosted by Combat Challenge, Team Phantom, sometimes Saguaro hosts one like the upcoming Battle of Prescottonia and Marauders also has their team based games. There are more teams and organizations that host milsim or team styled games but at the moment that's all I can think of.

Back on topic, I've seen ghillie suits used correctly and incorrectly. Most of the time they are used incorrectly as Toast pointed out. Run and gun with a ghillie suit just looks like a big giant patch of running grass but I've also walked up on someone that was using a ghillie suit correctly and didn't even know they were there until they said "don't step on me". It's really up to the players style of play. If you find yourself running and gunning then chances are you won't want a ghillie suit but if you like the more layed back watch the battle unfold and give intel type play style then a ghillie suit might just work for you. If used correctly it can be a viable tool in places like Prescott or Strawberry.
Whiskey One Alpha