Author Topic: Exarach: Tokyo Marui PSG-1  (Read 10417 times)

Offline Exarach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Exarach: Tokyo Marui PSG-1
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:06:11 PM »
Hi guys!
Figured most of you see my posts on occasion, but, its not everyday that I throw out a build thread.
So! here we go!  ;D

Some of you may remember my thread on my Classic Army Dragunov, in which I posted up a review and a semi upgrade log on one of my favorite DMR builds. Well, I love that rifle to death, and have upgraded the heck out of it. and intend to use it for a long time to come.

BUT.

Its time to try something new. :D SO, I bought a PSG1!

In typical longwinded fashion, with gross written detail and adequate punctuation,  I present to you,

EXARACH's PSG 1 Build Thread

A work in progress.

SO!

Anyone who cares to bump in for updates every few days is welcome!
All the rest of you can just wait lol/
***DISCLAIMER!
All the opinions in this are my own, ect.
THIS WILL BE SPLIT INTO TWO PARTS AN UPDATE! A semi-update, with a fully written dialogue, and a smaller, technical post that gets straight to the point, for those of you who don't enjoy reading. They are not mutually exclusive, I just want to go a step above for the fact guys.

So, feel free to join me in embarking upon this crazy journey of upgrading marui's prototypical rifle. 

THE GOAL!
To take Marui's, outdated, underpowered, and increasingly harder to find rifle, and turn it into a field usable weapon capable of outmatching the performance of similar DMRs seen today. To make marui''s wallhanger into a solid DMR rifle for field use, and to make the G3 series look damn cool while doing it.

End goals:
550 FPS
Rock Solid
Capable of torso sized shots out to 250-300'
Grouping less then 4 inches at 150'
Durability for use over multiple years
Capability to be used as an effective airsoft DMR.

Wanna watch me do it? Read on!

Part 1 - The plan

Owning a Marui PSG 1 is relatively easy, you have to find one on the internet, and you have to be crazy enough to buy it. And in reality, there is a reason no one does.

1. Its long
2. Its rare
3. Parts are seriously rare
4. Its a Marui

So why would I go and buy one? Because I can. Because its cool, who cares this isn't what your here for lol.

The PSG-1 is a semi automatic rifle made by H&K for police and military snipers around the world.
The TM PSG 1 is a replica of this rifle, in which a bunch of Marui techs sat down, and tried to devise a very accurate, very precise, and very cool looking gun, and then proceed to build the thing out of the worst plastic known to mankind.
So, like I said, its a Marui.

Where am I going with this?

Problem #1: Wobble.

Movement in a DMR type rifle is bad, it kills accuracy and consistency, and changes every shot, every time, SO, the first thing I decided to tackle, was the horrid and unbearable wobble inherent in the PSG 1. One of the primary reasons the PSG 1 never took off, (Odd, expensive, large, weird, uncommon, ect.) was that Marui is REALLY good at making hopups, and REALLY BAD at making gun bodies. The stock PSG-1 creaks and moves and whines like a nest of rats having an orgy. The damn thing doesn't shut the hell up. This kills stealth and any semblance of accuracy in one go, as the barrel wobbles, and the gun goes "creaka creak"  everytime you touch it, see rats^,
There was no solution for this issue for a long time, but finally, a solution came in the form of the G&G Metal body and the PDI chamber block, both of which worked fantastically at making the gun usable, were extremely expensive, and were promptly discontinued.  ;)

Well, to be fair, you can still get the metal body, its just $180+

So, I set my scope asearching, and in an AMAZING stroke of good fortune, was able to find BOTH the G&G metal body, and the PDI Chamber block, TOGETHER, for a decent price. This was beyond rare. I purchased immediately.

Now i could get on with the serious work.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 07:55:19 PM by Exarach »
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?

Offline Exarach

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: Exarach: Tokyo Marui PSG-1
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:41:07 PM »
Technical Post #1

Sup guys! If you are taking the time to read everything, welcome to the tech part! if your just skipping ahead, welcome to the tech part!

I bought a PSG-1! I wanted one hard after I bought and built this guy:

and bought and rebuilt this guy:

(Sorry about bad quaility, no good single shot camera)

SO,

In order to fix the wobble and accuracy problems in the PSG 1, I needed a SOLID front end and body.
Check out the beginning:

That is one SOLID metal body for starting off a PSG 1 Build! :D

I found this awesome one of a kind front end from a seller who had planned to sell a custom PSG1 body for a drop in user. Lucky for me, it didn't sell.

The PSG-1 is LONG! And anyone who tells you different has never seen a PSG 1 in person, which honestly would be a lot of people.

SO, this ends update 1! What I have accomplished.
A solid foundation for my PSG-1, a reliable and rock solid platform for the barrel, and a set of amazing externals.
Fixed two of the inherent problems in the PSG-1, the barrel wobble and the plastic body, replaced with rock steady metal externals.

Next time on PSG-1!
1- A review of stock accuracy
2- More issues!
3-The Gun!
and
4- The Unique Ver. 4 GB.

Thanks for tuning in guys!
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?

Offline desertninja2237

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »
I cannot wait. Hopefully the performance is up to par for ya.

Offline Exarach

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 08:24:01 PM »
Thanks man!
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"

Offline asof elites

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:41:39 PM »
Damn good job bro. The PSG-1 (and the g3 series) have been my favorite style rifle for as long as i can remember....If you have ever shot the real steel versions they are insanely fun!
Great job Ex, I cannot wait to see that on the feild!
My gear collection costs more than my car...

Offline Exarach

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:44:19 PM »
Quick latenight update!

annnnnnd
Looking good with a harris.

Took the rifle out to the field today, and did some test shots!
The rifle crono'd right at 370 with .20.
And I mean RIGHT at!
I was getting some crazy readings, 303, 350,306,340 ect. and was like.... O.o
So
I locked the charging handle back, thus disabling the EBB, and suddenly the gun shot 370 fps..... every shot for 10 shots... damn fine consistency.
However,
Looks like the stock accuracy is pushing it to reach 150' with a .20, and that is totally unacceptable for a DMR rifle! SO

I had to snag some upgrades!, and those came in the form of the systema FTK! part and piece upgrading the PSG can be done, BUT, i was not looking to trial and error this rifle for months, I am going to mix the FTK and stock parts with some good ole fashioned tech magic, and see what I can crank out!

SO, Stay tuned! :D the kit should be here within the week!

Time for user input! I was planning to use a 300% spring with the FTK, instead of the 400%, which would yield 600fps with .20. But, now I am reconsidering. Opinions on this? I could use that extra 50 FPS to help power out .30-.40 rounds. BUT, it would limit the guns use to only games with higher semi-FPS rules.
May just use both....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:47:47 PM by Exarach »
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"

Offline Shadow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant Major
  • Tappin' fools from 300'+
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »
Quote from: Exarach
Time for user input!

*cough* P* custom FE conversion & red nozzle *cough*

:D
Six Charlie
Phantom Retired
Prop Wash Gang

Offline Note

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »
Quote from: Exarach
Time for user input!

*cough* P* custom FE conversion & red nozzle *cough*

:D

That's what I originally thought this thread was about. You need to P* that.

Offline Exarach

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 08:31:27 PM »
NEVER going to happen haha

Working on the insides is my favorite part!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:33:43 PM by Exarach »
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"

Offline Blindsniper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 10:31:12 PM »
Would you part with the stock sector gear when you get the systema parts? I am in need of one.....
-Rainbow Coalition Marksman / Rifleman
-Private Tech/Custom P* Installs
-Ares Tavor-21 P* / NPO VSS Vintorez P*
-KSC M945 Compact / JG VZ-61 Skorpion

Offline Mooncruiser

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 06:19:51 AM »
Shaun thinks hanging a big airtank back there makes his butt look large, and Gentleman that he is, he'll NEVER show his hose in public..
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline Exarach

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 08:22:58 AM »
Shaun thinks hanging a big airtank back there makes his butt look large, and Gentleman that he is, he'll NEVER show his hose in public..

Bravo sir. Bravo.
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"

Offline nukeduster

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »
Awesome find on the chamber block!

I love H&K weapons, and TM products... you have the best of both worlds.

Edit: to be honest, I love polarstar's, but the PSG1 gearbox, when maintained and upgraded properly, can be just as accurate as a polarstar. It is unlike any other gearbox, and it's operation is more like that of a springer bolt action rifle, and can thus be made much more consistent shooting than any traditional AEG.

Double edit: I'd opt for 600fps w/ .20g. Most games in AZ have that limit or thereabouts... the games that don't, often don't allow snipers at all anyway. So either way, you'll probably not regret going 600 fps, as long as you have a backup assault rifle for other occasions.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:42:06 PM by nukeduster »

Offline Exarach

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 09:57:13 PM »
Awesome find on the chamber block!

I love H&K weapons, and TM products... you have the best of both worlds.

Edit: to be honest, I love polarstar's, but the PSG1 gearbox, when maintained and upgraded properly, can be just as accurate as a polarstar. It is unlike any other gearbox, and it's operation is more like that of a springer bolt action rifle, and can thus be made much more consistent shooting than any traditional AEG.

Double edit: I'd opt for 600fps w/ .20g. Most games in AZ have that limit or thereabouts... the games that don't, often don't allow snipers at all anyway. So either way, you'll probably not regret going 600 fps, as long as you have a backup assault rifle for other occasions.

Thanks man! I love it too! It rocks! ya, I think with correct shimming and sorbo I should be able to nail 600fps in there with no issues. If I dont like it.... I can always downgrade.
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"