Author Topic: polar star vs AEG  (Read 15394 times)

Offline sgun480

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
polar star vs AEG
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »
I am trying to make a list of pros and cons for either buying a version 3 fusion engine, or just upgrading my current aeg. I dont really care about ROF, all i want is max range. I currently have a stock AK, I'm just wondering if the up front price is worth it. In my mind it is, but I figure I'd ask the community for input. All opinions are welcome. Thanks
Jungle man

Offline chinole

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Master Sergeant
  • Chino Le
    • View Profile
Re: polar star vs AEG
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 10:10:15 PM »
Seeing how you mention if you got shipped out and had to sell your stuff would suck booty.I think upgrading your range on an AEG would be better, for budget reasons. Dropping 600-800 bucks or whatever for a p* setup is pretty expensive.
Cloudy with a heavy chance of M60 rain

Whiskey One Alpha
Support Gunner

Offline DesertRush

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account, CHECK IT OUT!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »
Polar stars get SUPERB range, along with great accuracy. I have a v2 P* engine coming in next week. Though With the v3 P* being $500, I'm sure you could make your AK shoot extremely well for a whole lot less.
"God will judge our enemies, we'll arrange the meeting."

Offline DesertRush

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:13:42 PM »
Just get a really nice TBB (prometheus, laylax.)
good hop up chamber (prowin)
and have it r-hopped.

All that easily under $150

Offline sgun480

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 11:00:50 PM »
thanks for the input, i think you all convinced me to save my money
Jungle man

Offline nukeduster

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 09:29:23 AM »
Last four peaks game, all anyone could tell me was omg, how are you shooting so far?!? (out of a 300mm barrel P*)

At one point, on a ridge behind their last spawn point, with the help of someone with a M249 keeping them distracted to my left flank, I was able to rout half of their team single-handed because I out ranged them (and had an elevated position)

They are worth it, but you also have to be willing to spend money on a good barrel, good hopup unit and bucking (flat hop, r hop) and GOOD AMMO! All is in vain if you buy the best gun in the world and then shoot piss poor ammo through it.

Offline DesertRush

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:58:45 AM »
Last four peaks game, all anyone could tell me was omg, how are you shooting so far?!? (out of a 300mm barrel P*)

At one point, on a ridge behind their last spawn point, with the help of someone with a M249 keeping them distracted to my left flank, I was able to rout half of their team single-handed because I out ranged them (and had an elevated position)

They are worth it, but you also have to be willing to spend money on a good barrel, good hopup unit and bucking (flat hop, r hop) and GOOD AMMO! All is in vain if you buy the best gun in the world and then shoot piss poor ammo through it.

The gun i'm throwing my P* in has a 275 barrel, but I'll be getting a 310mm 6.03 tbb. How far you gettin with your gun? barrel? hop up?

Offline sgun480

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 11:19:50 AM »
I'm not really sure, I am using .28s so Im sure if i went to like .25s it could go farther. But the .28 for me is my favorite, has penetration power and i find them to be very accurate. I know my gun shoots about 365 with .28s My other problem is that i live on luke AFB and there are no places for me to fill up a hpa tank. I'd have to wait till fightertown opens, so i have a little while before i make up my mind.
Jungle man

Offline Exarach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:37:33 PM »
A good hop up, a good bucking, a good barrel, and a general knowledge of how to make it all work are far far better for accuracy then either a Polarstar or a Mechbox. Both are designed to push X amount of air down a tube, both work. The correct size tube, and fps, helps a lot.

The PS makes it easier to play with FPS, but you have to add a bunch of equipment to make it work, the Mechbox makes adjusting FPS more difficult, but is more compact. A bolt action spring rifle is tiny and powerful...ect

Do you want to carry a battery, 4ft of hose and a high pressure air tank? Ok, get a Polar star system.

Do you want to carry a battery and have to be able to work on a Gearbox? Ok, use a mechbox.

Push that air, down that tube. 

\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?

Offline nukeduster

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
A good hop up, a good bucking, a good barrel, and a general knowledge of how to make it all work are far far better for accuracy then either a Polarstar or a Mechbox. Both are designed to push X amount of air down a tube, both work. The correct size tube, and fps, helps a lot.

The PS makes it easier to play with FPS, but you have to add a bunch of equipment to make it work, the Mechbox makes adjusting FPS more difficult, but is more compact. A bolt action spring rifle is tiny and powerful...ect

Do you want to carry a battery, 4ft of hose and a high pressure air tank? Ok, get a Polar star system.

Do you want to carry a battery and have to be able to work on a Gearbox? Ok, use a mechbox.

Push that air, down that tube. 

I somewhat agree with that. But the polarstar doesnt only make it easy to play with FPS, it also makes it easy to fine tune the exact amount of air running down the barrel behind the bb, and also , very key, it allows closed bolt shooting which no aeg other than the PSG1 can do. It chambers a BB, lets it seat, and waits for you to fire the trigger before shooting air down the barrel.

In CB mode I can send BB's over 100 yards with fair predictability. I haven't had a chance to fine tune things much beyond that at the moment, but farther accurately is definitely possible, I just haven't had time to tweak my rifle for distances further than that.

In tweaking AEG's to get the same accuracy @ the same FPS as a P*, with the same reliability, you will likely end up spending the same amount in the end, but you will still be stuck with a gun at a fixed fps, and be in for a world of tweaking again if you need to change its fps for a given game.

I like being able to take the same gun, and for one game, set the fps @ 350fps with rof of 60 bb/sec on 5 round bursts for an cqb games at MTT, then set it to 375fps for outdoor games at a rof of 10 bb/sec and set my rifle up as a light machine gun which just lays down slow burping suppressive fire, then set my rifle for 620fps single shot mode when I put in low cap mags and my ghillie suit for stalking around.

All of this with the same rifle, with changing no internal parts. I use the red nozzle at all times and am able to get from 300 fps to 620fps and between single shot to 3600 bbs per minute with only changing regulator and computer settings and nothing internal is ever touched.

I still love aegs, I just bought a new TM scar, but even it doesn't measure up to the flexibility of the fusion engine. The wiring is a weak point, but its easily fixed with smart wiring of the gun.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:33:44 PM by nukeduster »

Offline Shadow

• Sergeant Major
  • Tappin' fools from 300'+
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 06:24:56 PM »
How far you gettin with your gun? barrel? hop up?

I was pushing 300-325' with my P* at the first Papago game earlier this year.  I've since made changes but haven't had time to fine tune it to get a proper reading lately.
Six Charlie
Phantom Retired
Prop Wash Gang

Offline sgun480

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
I was pushing 300-325' with my P* at the first Papago game earlier this year.  I've since made changes but haven't had time to fine tune it to get a proper reading lately.
And thats the main reason i want to get a P* because of the amount of customization you can do. and it has what 2 moving parts, cant go wrong there. i think ill use this years tax refund to buy one :D
Jungle man

Offline xgecko54

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 10:01:04 PM »
Can someone help me understand how a p* gets more range than an aeg? I'm not following too well, how does it work?
-Peter

Offline Shadow

• Sergeant Major
  • Tappin' fools from 300'+
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 12:14:15 AM »
Can someone help me understand how a p* gets more range than an aeg? I'm not following too well, how does it work?

A lot of it has to do with the fact that an AEG relies on kinetic energy (spring) to push air out of the barrel via the piston slamming forward.  Whereas the P* simply lets the air do the pushing with less moving parts.  Not to mention you can fine-tune the amount of airflow to match your barrel volume exactly so you get the same amount of air coming out every single shot, as opposed to playing guesswork with ported and non-ported cylinders for different barrel lengths on AEGs.

I'm sure there are others on here that can give a much better explanation than I can, though.
Six Charlie
Phantom Retired
Prop Wash Gang

Offline Bob Z Moose

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Second Lieutenant
  • The $$60,000,000,000 Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »
Only real problem I see with the P* is that ignorant field owners are banning them or don't know how to properly fill tanks (both topics brought up here on the forums). The tanks are the only other problem, since I'm not exactly sure if you can fill them up at home (I know I'm going to be corrected, so disregard this con for the most part).
Team Manaconda
Don't dick with us!