Author Topic: Air travel with Airsoft guns and gear  (Read 2999 times)

Offline Shdsteel

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Major
    • View Profile
Air travel with Airsoft guns and gear
« on: June 22, 2013, 03:16:57 PM »
I have lived in Arizona my whole life up until now. Today will be my second time traveling (through united airways) with Airsoft guns in my checked luggage. My first time was a couple months ago and I only lost an HPA tank. I plan to start traveling alot more between Arizona and Mississippi now, like about every other month. What I want to know is what is the best way to travel with my Airsoft gun so that I never have to worry about it being confiscated. I have made sure to declare my contents to the ticket agent and have made sure that inside the case is labeled "toy guns" "cannot be modified to shoot real bullets", and that they have orange tips, etc etc. anyone else have alot of experience with this type of situation? Any and all information is appreciated, thanks!

Offline Bob Z Moose

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Second Lieutenant
  • The $$60,000,000,000 Man
    • View Profile
Re: Air travel with Airsoft guns and gear
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 04:23:34 PM »
Shipping the items via UPS would be your best bet. There's a ton of guides online and I'm the OPLC forums has a guide for those that travel from far and wide to play in Victorville.

On a side note, loosing a $150 (retail) HPA tank would kinda piss me off. You get in contact with the airline about that yet?
Team Manaconda
Don't dick with us!

Offline Dayton

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 06:04:23 PM »
I'm guessing the HPA tank had air in it when you checked your luggage?

You can not take pressurized cylinders onto an airplane.
Empty ALL of the air out of it, then tape a note onto it stating that cylinder is empty/depressurized.
Fox Company | Tournament Locks
Main: JP Polarstar, Magpul PTS ACR, ARES Tavor TAR-21
Side Arm: KWA HK45, KWA Umarex H&K MP7
Other: AT-4, Defusable Bomb, Mortar

Offline Shdsteel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »
That trip was a couple months ago. I didn't really have any way( or time) to try and get the tank back. It was empty but I think you also have to take the tank regulator off as well. If like to avoid shipping if possible because of the costs.

Offline B-Rad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
That trip was a couple months ago. I didn't really have any way( or time) to try and get the tank back. It was empty but I think you also have to take the tank regulator off as well. If like to avoid shipping if possible because of the costs.
yes, the reg needs to be removed from the tank. What a lot of paintball players will do is just buy a cheap $60 steel tank at there destination if possible, its alot easier then removing a reg.

Offline Shdsteel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 06:57:37 PM »
Ah ok good idea. I could also keep a tank in each state as well.

Offline jdmsquadleader

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 04:38:35 PM »
u can prob travel with airsoft guns but expect and extra 1/2 hour to hour delay of hassle from everyone at the airport for what they are look alike guns in my opinion these days people are so crazy about safety
jdm

Offline Shdsteel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 06:36:35 PM »
True. I did get my Airsoft guns from when I flew yesterday in good order and condition. Although it was obvious that they went through it.

Offline Ivan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 07:48:54 PM »
Just saw this... wow.. um. Just to be on the safe side I ALWAYS check my 'weapons' real or not ..in a locked rifle hard case that only I have the key for.. the check in agents will inspect and drop a tag inside your case and have you lock it back up - and all will be undisturbed when you receive your luggage on the other aide.. expect to pay a little extra on some airlines.. 
Im an operator....

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 08:07:15 PM »
Just saw this... wow.. um. Just to be on the safe side I ALWAYS check my 'weapons' real or not ..in a locked rifle hard case that only I have the key for.. the check in agents will inspect and drop a tag inside your case and have you lock it back up - and all will be undisturbed when you receive your luggage on the other aide.. expect to pay a little extra on some airlines.. 

This is the best advice.   When I fly I just treat my Airsoft guns as if they were real and follow the airlines policies on checking in weapons.  Never had any issues checking them in.  One bit of advice, pack your bb's in with your weapons cases, don't carry them on your carry on.  When they scan the carry on bag the bb density is such that it resembles a possible explosive. Some agents are cool once they find out what they are while others are not and won't let you board with them.  So just save yourself a headache and put them in the case with your guns so they can inspect it prior.  If they are really really tight, you might end up needing to buy bb's at your destination.

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline Shdsteel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »
ah ok thanks. Both times I traveled I have used pelican cases. So are you saying there is a way for the ticket agents to look them over first so that TSA does not have to?

Offline Fung Li

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sergeant First Class
  • Science, bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »
ah ok thanks. Both times I traveled I have used pelican cases. So are you saying there is a way for the ticket agents to look them over first so that TSA does not have to?
If I'm not mistaken, just tell them that you have gun amongst your luggage. It must be in a locked case with the key in your personal possession.

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 08:29:21 PM »
Go inside to the airline check in stations, don't drop them off at the curbside check in because they can't do the required check out there.  Declare your items to the ticket agent and they will be able to help you from there.

Here are the TSA regs on this issue: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

TSA will still scan it later, if they have issues they should reasonably try to contact you through the airline to have you go to the screening station to open the case. If they are unable to make contact they wont load it on the aircraft.  Secondly, If you don't declare it and they need to get in to inspect, they will cut your lock.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:41:38 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline Shdsteel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 08:49:52 PM »
Well both times that I have declared it, the ticket agents never had me open up the cases. I havent used locks yet but are TSA locks a good idea?