Author Topic:  (Read 2420 times)

Offline KenCasper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: December 11, 2004, 02:43:53 AM »
A Bushmater AR15 huh? Hmmm.... Good luck, they are kinda hard to find at a great deal in a store/ shop. I got mine at a gun show for 700 from the Arizona Sportsman (gunshow special) back in 98-99. They often have several AR's at any of their stores. Most gun shops will have at least one AR. I've had good dealing personally with (Az Sportman on 7th and camelback, and at the ol shooters world) and also at a place in surprise called Gun's Plus (dysart and grand ave)

Here is the Bushmaster Website

Saddly even factory direct they are pretty pricey.  And complete lowers/ uppers run 380 an up last I looked. You can prolly pick a stripped Bushmaster lower for around 180 or so.

If you do want to go the build your own route you can build one for as little as $350-$400 dependant on your skill level, how much work you hire out (IE headspacing), tools you have to buy, and the deals you catch.

If you do decide to build I have not heard any good things about American Spirit Arms (ASA) out of scotsdale. Things I've heard incluse non spec parts (not interchangable with other makes, models) and refusal to sell parts in order to try and get gunsmith fee's.

Good luck, an enjoy your AR once ya get it.

Side note, anyone seen the .45acp uppers? I've seen pics of them on the AR15.com forums, very nice, but seems that they are hard to get ahold of. If you know of a source let me know as I would love one for myself!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by KenCasper »
Sgt Kevin Widner
AKA \"Casper\"

\"The Harder you train the harder your enemy must train...all comes down to who gives up first!   Mike \"Colonel\" Potter

Offline yellowmonkey

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ratemykitten.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 04:17:57 AM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KenCasper.</i>
Saddly even factory direct they are pretty pricey. And complete lowers/ uppers run 380 an up last I looked. You can prolly pick a stripped Bushmaster lower for around 180 or so.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I also heard that they are about 3 months backordered. Still, I wanted a Bushmaster lower. I know I'll be getting quality if I get a Bushmaster.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by yellowmonkey »
It\'s time to kick *** and chew bubblegum, and I\'m all outa\' bubblegum. -Duke Nukem

Let\'s just be friends. -My Ex-girlfriend

Offline delta_echo

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 10:14:28 AM »
Armalite makes some great lowers, too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by delta_echo »

Offline RickEJ6

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 12:09:03 PM »
Rock River arms also has some nice guns out there, and I have seen some of their complete AR flat tops go for way under $700.  They are (as far as I can remember) the new manufacture for Government M16s. Rick
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by RickEJ6 »
\"Do not hit if it can be avoided, but never hit softly.\"

T. Roosevelt

Offline Mr. Joseph

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 01:09:50 PM »
Rock River is now making guns for the DEA.

I got my Bushmaster flat top for 840 new from a gunshop up in prescott.  I think it was High Country Guns and Knives.  Start looking around or wait for a gun show.  You are going to get screwed if you go to a gunshop.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Mr. Joseph »

Offline Basher

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php?topic=ezo
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 03:09:15 PM »
I built my AR not really to save money, but more for the experience. I got my Grizzly lower from Ameetech (I was going to get an Ameetech lower, but I was tired of waiting for them) for $113.30. Teflon coated and hard anodized, just like Ameetech, Bushy, etc. Got my parts kit from Warren of Ameetech as well for $55. Got my 6-position RRA unmarked stock from Legal Transfers on AR15.com's EE board for $81 shipped with the spanner to install it.

Got my RRA CAR-A4 complete upper direct from RRA for $460 shipped 2nd day air. It's their flat-top, HBAR (I though it was regular profile, but oh well), 16" version. I ordered it mid-length and "pre-ban" style, and got the barrel chrome-lined as well (it cost me $30 extra, but that's included in the $460 price) with a 1 in 9" twist.

Got my ARMS #40 for $95.95 off the EE boards, and I also got my EOTech 512.A65 for $320 of the EE boards on AR15.com as well. Then I've got about $200 in mags, a Houge grip, a cheapy vertical grip and short cheapy bolt-on rail, a bayonet from John and an extra just for fun, some care products, etc. I've put about $1400 into the thing all-in-all including the care products and about 750 rounds of ammo. Well worth it in my opinion. I could have built if for about $800 if I'd wanted to, but I wanted to build it to my specs. The only thing missing is a ACOG and an ARMS SIR with a Tango Down forgrip, SureFire light, and MagPul stock. Another good $1000 or so, eh? [:D]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Basher »

Offline TheCrow

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 08:07:53 PM »
I am putting an XM177 together from the following:

Stag forged lower  $95
Model 1 XM kit     $450
12 Center mags     $120
Carry handle mount $8
Aimpoint           $200

I would say a great AR package for the $873 price tag.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by TheCrow »

Team ORION Squad Leader

Offline yellowmonkey

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 06:16:11 AM »
I would love to put together my own AR, but I was concerned about getting everything to work flawlessly the first time (bucause there may not be a second time with live ammo). Plus I have no idea what kind of tools I will need. I'm sure I would need to spend an additional $100-$200 on just tools.

I don't know a heck of a lot about putting them together, but if anyone has any recommended reading material I would love to look at it. I already looked at some of the stuff I found while searching google, but I never realy saw anything particularly detailed.

All the comments have been helpful so far, at least I have a better idea of what stuff will cost.
It\'s time to kick *** and chew bubblegum, and I\'m all outa\' bubblegum. -Duke Nukem

Offline Paco

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004, 09:20:01 AM »
Bushmaster's web site prices are definitely not "factory direct" type pricing.  They are marked higher than what you could typically get them from at most retailers.  AmeetecArms has a BM stripped lower for $155.  You can get lower parts kits for about $55, and the stock depends on what you want...  an M4 stock assembly for about $60 - that puts you at about $270 for a complete lower.  Then, a chrome lined upper?  Well, you're looking at probably a RRA, M1S or CMMG upper as the least expesive options.  Finish won't match *exactly*, but it'll be close.  I build all my lowers myself (easy and fun) and usually buy the factory uppers so I don't have to worry about headspacing, etc.  It's almost impossible to build a lower incorrectly as to affect the function/reliability of the AR.

As far as lowers go, I put BM, EA/ArmaLite, Colt, RRA, DPMS all in the "top tier" as far as name-brands go.  I've had all, but prefer DPMS and BM for the finishes and logos.  [8D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The only thing missing is a ACOG and an ARMS SIR with a Tango Down forgrip, SureFire light, and MagPul stock. Another good $1000 or so, eh?

The ACOG alone (assuming you go with the TA01NSN to mount on a flat-top) will cost you $800, if you can find one in-stock.  If you're talking about a SureFire weaponlight like the 660 or M500, that's another $200-300+, Tango Down foregrip - I don't know - same on the MgPul stock.  [B)]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Paco »

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 09:23:49 AM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline KenCasper

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2004, 11:31:03 AM »
Din't know that Paco, never have gone looking for lowers from BM. But now that I do know, I'll be hitting Ameetec up for one! I have a pistol caliber AR in mind, would like a .45ACP one, but the .50 Beowolf is sooo nice lookin![}:)]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by KenCasper »
Sgt Kevin Widner
AKA \"Casper\"

\"The Harder you train the harder your enemy must train...all comes down to who gives up first!   Mike \"Colonel\" Potter

Offline Basher

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php?topic=ezo
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2004, 12:49:50 PM »
Paco, you are correct. I more accurate figure would be in the $1750 range or so. Not sure what I was thinking when I typed that. Perhaps the figure MINUS the ACOG, eh? [:(] Maybe in my dreams. I'll get an ACOG after I learn to fly and build my dream precision rifle. The EOTech serves me just fine, and for the price of an ACOG, I can get a Premier Reticle Gen. 2 MilDot Leupold LRT scope for that rifle I have in mind. Oh well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Basher »

Offline TheCrow

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 07:07:26 AM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yellowmonkey</i>
<br />I would love to put together my own AR, but I was concerned about getting everything to work flawlessly the first time (bucause there may not be a second time with live ammo). Plus I have no idea what kind of tools I will need. I'm sure I would need to spend an additional $100-$200 on just tools.

I don't know a heck of a lot about putting them together, but if anyone has any recommended reading material I would love to look at it. I already looked at some of the stuff I found while searching google, but I never realy saw anything particularly detailed.

All the comments have been helpful so far, at least I have a better idea of what stuff will cost.

Yellowmonkey,

Here is one of the best web pages I have come across for a new AR builder: http://www.brianlane.com/old.ar15.com/d ... bly/lower/

It lists the basic tools, has pictures, and is very easy to follow.

Save your money, build your own, and start with a low cost receiver.  Mega, Ameetec, and Stag are the way to go on a first build.  

Model 1 Sales offers almost every configuation you can think of, and I don't believe you will beat their prices.  Check them out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by TheCrow »

Team ORION Squad Leader

Offline Victor3

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 09:06:19 AM »
I bought an Eagle Arms lower at the crossroads show for $115, a DPMS 16" flat top upper from Paco and the parts and collapsable stock from ASA (they're just parts). Had help from Harley (he did most of it) and now I have one fine shooting AR for about $550.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Victor3 »
"Victor3"
Airsoft AZ
Eat Hot Lead...uh...I mean Plastic!!

Offline yellowmonkey

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 10:07:44 PM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheCrow</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yellowmonkey</i>
<br />I would love to put together my own AR, but I was concerned about getting everything to work flawlessly the first time (bucause there may not be a second time with live ammo). Plus I have no idea what kind of tools I will need. I'm sure I would need to spend an additional $100-$200 on just tools.

Yellowmonkey,

Here is one of the best web pages I have come across for a new AR builder: http://www.brianlane.com/old.ar15.com/d ... bly/lower/

It lists the basic tools, has pictures, and is very easy to follow.

Save your money, build your own, and start with a low cost receiver.  Mega, Ameetec, and Stag are the way to go on a first build.  

Model 1 Sales offers almost every configuation you can think of, and I don't believe you will beat their prices.  Check them out.

Hey... great link! Thanks for posting that.