Author Topic: I need a job... Recommendations?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline MicrowvbleTurtle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
I need a job... Recommendations?
« on: February 21, 2005, 08:16:16 PM »
I've been running low on money to buy "stuff" and by "stuff", I mean airsoft items.

This crisis has brought me to the thought of getting a job.  However, there's just one more problem to solve.  Where will I work?

That's where I need your help.  I'm looking for recommendations of where I should get a job.  Now, this would be a part time job... afternoons and weekends.  So if you've worked somewhere or are currently working somewhere that you like or enjoy, please, list it.  I'm pretty much open to all kinds of jobs (not, by all I do NOT mean Wal-Mart).  The only location would be Phoenix... I could personally narrow it down from there.

If needed:

Last grade completed: 10th
Previous jobs/activities:  I have no work experience.  However, I am rifle team commander and a class leader in my JROTC battalion so I am not new to working hard.
Days open to work:  Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays afterschool as well as Saturdays and Sundays.

I know this is a rather odd topic nevertheless please take it seriously.  Thank you ahead of time.

P.S. - Has anybody ever worked for Marshall's?  If so, how did you like it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by MicrowvbleTurtle »

Offline 1trooper, manyweapons

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airsoftcoalition.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 08:28:35 PM »
i highly dont recommend that you work around little kids, unless you like working with the little people. iam sry I had a job that was amusement park and i got really messed up a few times, **no offence to players that have kids, lets just say pain !! and lots of it,

apply at Discount Tire co ,i've heard they pay well. on the job training is a + for me.or you. iam starting next at discount tire next month.

**less little kids, less to worry about pain, and sleep, also no back to back shifts, ive learned that the hard way, nearly lost a tip of my finger to a boat prop. sry, if anyone wants to know ill tell you, and if anyone thinks iam lying ill send you a pic!

Turtle i hope you find a job that you like. i hate to hear that you where replaced by some1 better. so good luck
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by 1trooper, manyweapons »
armory-2 m60s,2 m733s,G36c,Infinity handgun,3 G3SG1s,shotgun,p90
formally owned 2 mp5s, Ak47,p90tr. total weapons= 9... total at one time 17different guns.
BTW whats the need for mags, grab, use, dump the gun, then use another. Iam a walking armory.

Offline Paco

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 10:11:02 PM »
Perhaps a waiter at a restaurant or at a golf course...  I worked at the Club West golf course while in HS and worked at Chili's while in the first couple years of college...  both paid well (read:  tips!).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Paco »

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 10:15:08 PM »
I referee'd hockey (I grew up in Canada, LOTS of hockey).  Try looking around the mall, most of all find something close to home and is somewhat enjoyable.  

Walmart might not be THAT bad, get a job in the sporting goods section and promote airsoft!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by andyhinds »

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 10:20:02 PM »
by chance, what school would that be? i'm the best shooter on the team.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 10:23:25 PM »
Work Van Buren..I hear you can make a pretty good living on those corners these days.. Well in all seriousness, try packaging places like postnet and mail boxes etc. Which are both individually owned franchises that have equal opertunity employment. That is why they wont require your age on the application. Look for those kind of employers because they will hire you, and if they dont like how old you are, they cannot fire you because of it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline Greg

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 02:03:44 AM »
I saw a sign at In-N-Out a while ago that said they start at $9.50 an hour... pretty damn good for a fast food job.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Greg »
-Greg of Christian\'s Team

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 10:01:10 AM »
Grocery stores like Safeway start at 8 something for Courtesy Clerk (bagger), and the hours are flexible.  I did this for a year when I was 16 and the money paid for gas and dates.  You get raises often, and it's a decent job.  

I'd try to stay away from retail.  I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch for 2 years during college, and the money sucked!  You start at minimum wage, and are required to wear the clothes.  It was the most fun I've ever had at work, and the people you work with are great (lots of nice girls!), but the pay was just ridiculous.  What I made in a week barely paid for a keg and a tank of gas.  Not recommended if you're looking to save some cash for airsoft.

Greg mentioned In-N-Out, which seems to be a good place.  I saw the same sign, and was thinking "damn good pay for a fast food job!".  I think McDonalds pays pretty well also.  

Paco mentioned restaurants and golf courses.  While I have never worked there, alot of my friends did through high school, and found them to be well-paying jobs.  Valet also, but it might be hard to find someone to hire a 16 year old for Valet.  Waiting tables is good money, but it's also hard work.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline delta_echo

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 10:21:49 AM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
Grocery stores like Safeway start at 8 something for Courtesy Clerk (bagger), and the hours are flexible.  I did this for a year when I was 16 and the money paid for gas and dates.  

Sooooo, the real moral of this story is to stay away from women at your age, that way, gas and dates can be replaced with gas and airsoft [smilie=armata_pdt_25.gif] !

On a serious note, have you tried looking in the newspaper? Obviously some of the jobs will be "over your skill level" (i.e. need a college degree), but hopefully you'll see a variety of options.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by delta_echo »

Offline MicrowvbleTurtle

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 03:37:49 PM »
A job at a golf course doesn't sound that bad at all.  I'll check into that, thank you.

As for the In-N-Out.  I live near Central and Bethany and have yet to see an In-N-Out in the vicinity.  The pay seems excellent for fast food but transportation is not possible.  Thank you anyways.

Mail Boxes etc you say?  Hrmm, never even thought about that.  There's one maybe three miles away from me so that's plausable.  I'll check it out, thanks.

Seeing as how I live about 1 mile away from a Safeway I should check them out.  Plus I have a friend applying there and if he can get a job there, I definately can.  Much appreciated.

My AEG is my girl and thus, girls and airsoft combine into one group.  So gas and airsoft would work.  And yes, I have looked in the newspaper several times.  Unfortunately, most of them ask for prior work experience or as you stated, a college degree.

Thanks for your help guys.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by MicrowvbleTurtle »

Offline LeftForDead

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: I need a job... Recommendations?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 04:03:21 PM »
Quote from: "MicrowvbleTurtle"
I've been running low on money to buy "stuff" and by "stuff", I mean airsoft items.

This crisis has brought me to the thought of getting a job.  However, there's just one more problem to solve.  Where will I work?

That's where I need your help.  I'm looking for recommendations of where I should get a job.  Now, this would be a part time job... afternoons and weekends.  So if you've worked somewhere or are currently working somewhere that you like or enjoy, please, list it.  I'm pretty much open to all kinds of jobs (not, by all I do NOT mean Wal-Mart).  The only location would be Phoenix... I could personally narrow it down from there.

If needed:

Previous jobs/activities:  I have no work experience.  However, I am rifle team commander and a class leader in my JROTC battalion so I am not new to working hard.
Days open to work:  Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays afterschool as well as Saturdays and Sundays.

I know this is a rather odd topic nevertheless please take it seriously.  Thank you ahead of time.

If you're not afraid of hard work and knocking on doors, you can start your own lawn mowing/aerating  service--that'll pay well, all cash.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by LeftForDead »

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 04:14:52 PM »
Quote from: "LeftForDead"

If needed:

If you're not afraid of hard work and knocking on doors, you can start your own lawn mowing/aerating  service--that'll pay well, all cash.

Kind of a limited market, majority of people don't have grass in Arizona (at least where I live in Tucson) most people have rock.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by andyhinds »

Offline 1trooper, manyweapons

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airsoftcoalition.com
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 04:26:07 PM »
you talking to me? or someone else,
 I had really bad time at my former job. ran over twice by a 2seat go-kart, both times i diden't stand a chance vs a 650lb car with people inside. got a few really late back to backs 4;45 pm to 3am then went home got a 2 hr nap, then was needed by 7am to 5. with little kids driveing me off the walls. this company later fired me for being too smart and safety wize, for the members with commen sence you know whats best in a crappy work place,rusted boat engines, really messed up boat props, cars that stunk. acid filled pool.    

And i dont want anyone airsoft or not to head to hospital with tip of a finger in a baggy;( i had mine sewn back together. nearly chopped of in a boat prop cause lack of sleep, and back pain, working overtime afterdark trying to get a customer on a bumper boat then was tapped by another boat then fell in ** dont want to lose trigger finger** ok i rest my case.

**EDIT 2*** iam sry to upset younger members. but it comes down to you need that trigger finger
**EDIT many misspells
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by 1trooper, manyweapons »
armory-2 m60s,2 m733s,G36c,Infinity handgun,3 G3SG1s,shotgun,p90
formally owned 2 mp5s, Ak47,p90tr. total weapons= 9... total at one time 17different guns.
BTW whats the need for mags, grab, use, dump the gun, then use another. Iam a walking armory.

Offline HavHav

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 04:43:50 PM »
I worked at Mcdonalds. That was the most morally degrading and self esteem lowering activity i have ever participated in.

Then again, i made some money for not much work...

I suggest something like safeway, albertsons, frys. Stay away from fast food. Just lead you down a path of self destruction and drug addiction.  ;)

Quote from: "delta_echo"
Quote from: "azsarge"
Grocery stores like Safeway start at 8 something for Courtesy Clerk (bagger), and the hours are flexible.  I did this for a year when I was 16 and the money paid for gas and dates.  

Sooooo, the real moral of this story is to stay away from women at your age, that way, gas and dates can be replaced with gas and airsoft [smilie=armata_pdt_25.gif] !

On a serious note, have you tried looking in the newspaper? Obviously some of the jobs will be "over your skill level" (i.e. need a college degree), but hopefully you'll see a variety of options.

If you notice, there are occasionally job openings that say they will train you. No experience required, etc.

I did the door to door thing for NAPA Auto. $8 an hour, paid cash at the end of every day.  Figure you can do a larger neighborhood in maybe 3 hours? $24 cash. Not bad for hanging flyers.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by HavHav »

Offline LeftForDead

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 05:17:12 PM »
Quote from: "andyhinds"
Quote from: "LeftForDead"

If needed:

Kind of a limited market, majority of people don't have grass in Arizona (at least where I live in Tucson) most people have rock.

LOL...totally slipped my mind. Here's an idea, this may work for you...Join your local Jaycees club. The club is made of young entrepreneurs who can assit you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by LeftForDead »