Author Topic: Airsoft guns are now illegal in Chandler, AZ (?!)  (Read 23995 times)

Offline Paco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Airsoft guns are now illegal in Chandler, AZ (?!)
« on: April 20, 2005, 01:02:59 PM »
http://www.chandlerpd.com/cpd_site/help ... nances.htm

Non-Firearm Weapons (i.e. B.B. Guns)
Chandler City Ordinance 11-6

It shall be unlawful within the city limits for any person to have in his possession, carry or use, except within the confines of his domicile and premises, or encased, unloaded or in an otherwise inoperable condition, any air gun, B.B. gun, gas-operated gun, or spring gun or any instrument, toy or weapons commonly known as a "peashooter", "slingshot" or "beany" or any other instrument, including but not limited to bows and arrows, made for the purpose of throwing or projecting missiles of any kind by any means whatsoever, whether such instrument is called by any name set forth above or by any other name. Parents of children who have been found to be in violation of this section shall be responsible for any damage or injury done by such children to the person or property of others in accordance with the provisions of sections 12-661 and 15-446 of the Arizona Revised Statues, 1956.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... man19.html

David Layman
Apr. 19, 2005 12:00 AM

Arecent interview portrayed Airsoft guns as dangerous and destructive. The destructive force of the projectile of these so-called weapons can and does leave a welt but rarely. It is very unlikely to break window glass or scratch car paint. Are these guns too much for use in a public park around smaller children? Perhaps. A criminal act? No.

Yet Chandler feels it necessary to have on its books the recently publicized ordinance 11-6, a law that makes it a crime merely to possess such an instrument. I say instrument because the law states that the possession of any instrument capable of firing a projectile qualifies. You do not actually have to fire it, harm anyone, harass anyone or damage anything. If your 7-year-old goes into a store and buys a Nerf gun, unwraps it, and emerges into a public place, then 11-6 has been violated.

If this isn't enough, Chandler makes this a Class 1 Misdemeanor, a criminal offense. It is punishable up to six months in jail and/or a $2,500 fine. According to the federal courts, and the state, a misdemeanor does not entitle you to a trial by jury. You will be tried by a judge who is paid by Chandler.

Chandler police showed up on my door because a friend of my son was shooting a soft-air gun from my son's car. Nobody was hurt, nobody was threatened. The witnesses to this crime were concerned there might be property damage, but there is none. Now both my son and his friend are being prosecuted for a crime, and in practice, a cranky judge could require that both of them spend time in jail.

Rest assured, I am not happy with my son's actions, and he got in trouble for it, and the gun (read that toy) was taken. But the actions of the police and our government are way out of line considering the offense.

My elected officials tell me that no police officer would ever cite someone violating this law unless some harm was done. They tell me that he might have been shot. Yes, that is indeed a real risk, and if I throw a banana peel out on the sidewalk, someone may slip and they may break their neck, but that doesn't make it a criminal act. We cannot punish based on the extreme bad luck scenario. A crime is all about intent.

I recommend several remedies, all of them needed, since our government has apparently lost its good sense and perspective. I call upon the Chandler City Council to repeal this ordinance immediately. If another is needed in its place, then I recommend civil fines only, and that it require that someone actually does harm in some way, not merely possess a projectile-shooting toy. Prohibition from places of common public enjoyment, such as a park, makes sense, provided it is in plain view (not in a vehicle).

I call upon the Arizona Legislature to remove from cities the right to pass local criminal statutes, and limit severely the amount of a civil fine, say not to exceed $2,500.

A crime should be known intuitively. It should involve intent to harm or profit at the unwilling expense of another. Not the mere possession of something like a toy. If it's serious enough to be jailed for, it's serious enough for one standard statewide.

Lastly, I call upon the federal government and the state Legislature to restore our constitutional right to jury trial by peers. The incarceration of someone even for one day is too harsh a punishment to not have a right to a jury, and there are no limits on how high a fine can be. The state can take your life assets away from you without so much as a nod by your peers. Folks, do you have any idea just how far your government has gone in the name of expediency and convenience? Apparently, the only toys that are dangerous is the law, which is being treated like a toy by our government.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Paco »

Offline chainsaw

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 01:58:12 PM »
Well thats kind of lame but maybe they got him for somthing else like no orange tip
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by chainsaw »

Offline Nil8r

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 02:24:44 PM »
This is EXACTLY what we've been telling people from the beginning. As long as it is in a case and/or unloaded, there's no problem. Transporting to or from a game? Fine. Doing a mock drive-by in your friend's car? Not fine. EVER.

I also find it funny that the item in question is referred to in the editorial as a "soft-air gun"... I can think of only two places that use that brand name, and one of them is Big 5.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Nil8r »

Offline Surplus man

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 02:43:32 PM »
so the banning has begun. i wonder how long it will take this 11-6 idea to reach tucson.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Surplus man »
I saw this plug was in my wall here and then i noticed that your house was glowin like THE FRICKIN SUN! So, i uh put 2 and 2 together here and decided that your pissin me off...

-carl

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 02:56:39 PM »
Legalities, blah blah.

As far as games go, we won't see much change.  I'm not getting worked up about this.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 03:39:27 PM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
Legalities, blah blah.

As far as games go, we won't see much change.  I'm not getting worked up about this.
Me either, Like Ron said, put your sh*t in a case and don't be a moron and you will be just fine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline Lightning_Man

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 04:50:26 PM »
Amen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Lightning_Man »

It is what we do,
when we believe we can do no more\' that makes us who we are.

Offline Crash Bandicoot

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 07:49:29 PM »
Common sense is not so common these days. Any one pointing a simulated firearm out the window of a car deserves a fine or jail time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Crash Bandicoot »
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to go back to bed.

Offline stoneaglewolf

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tacticalmilsim.com
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 09:54:09 PM »
Gee, there goes the Hollywood shootout scenario at the Bank of America idea...

This is on of those "if you act stupid and wield an airsoft gun in public or piss of a cop with one in your possession then they reserve the right to throw the book at you law..."

No worries,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by stoneaglewolf »
-Stone

http://www.TacticalMilSim.com
  Honor the Fallen SPC Marc A. Anderson 1/75th Ranger KIA 3/8/02, AF

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 10:42:59 PM »
Every city that I know of has a law to that effect. Its nothing new that I can see.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline ninjacito

• Corporal
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/ninjacito
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 12:16:34 AM »
Yeah...you'd better act seriously if you buy something that looks so realistic.  My friends and I won't go shooting anywhere that people might see us.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by ninjacito »

Offline Reaver

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://teamfe0.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 10:33:25 AM »
Quote from: "Surplus man"
so the banning has begun. i wonder how long it will take this 11-6 idea to reach tucson.

Tucson already has a law on using BB and pellet guns within city limits already.  

What worries me is that the Chandler law states "possession and/or carry" in it.  That's nothing short of stupidity.  It's ok to carry a real firearm, but not a fake one?  Just goes to show law makers don't think.   :roll:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Reaver »

Offline JesseJamesMcGuire

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://sk8njesse.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 12:33:14 PM »
Just remember your Constitutional Rights if you get in trouble.

You have the right to bear arms
You have the right to a trial by a jury of your peers for any fine over $100.

You do not have the right to be stupid about your arms, so be smart and be safe!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by JesseJamesMcGuire »
Jesse James McGuire

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 12:44:38 PM »
I always get confused.... right to bear arms..... or arm bears?  :roll:

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by andyhinds »

Offline KamikazeSM

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 01:03:49 PM »
This is really disappointing in terms of such a laws existence, especially carrying the punishment it does.  No question that what the guy's kid did was stupid, but this law is ridiculous!  Paco (or anyone), any idea when it went on the books?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by KamikazeSM »
\"I will not fail, I will not falter, B.Co leads the way!\"
\"Books, my young padawan, are the food of the mind.\" -The All-Knowing Rev