Author Topic: Battery troubles....  (Read 983 times)

Offline Gantaliano Hoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
Battery troubles....
« on: July 26, 2005, 03:43:25 PM »
Ok. I have a custom mini 9.4v 1900mah battery for my M4. It has(or had) a crazy rate of fire, but now it doesn't. It starts out fast but slows down really fast, and runs out of juice faster than my 8.4v 1100mah. (My 8.4 also now gives it a faster rof)

The only thing I can think of that may have given it trouble is the fact that I used a Marui discharger on it. Did it for the first time, and then soon after the battery stated acting up. Would the discharger affect it in any way?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Gantaliano Hoff »

Offline TheCrow

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 04:21:42 PM »
Is the battery NiCad or NiMih?  

The discharger is actually good for the battery.  Make sure you completely discharge it, let it cool, and then give it a good, full charge on a slow (trickle) charger; the 200-300Mah chargers are the best.  The fast or quick chargers will eat up a battery in the long run.

However, if you are giving the battery a full charge, using it very little, and then discharging it (often), you could cause some cell damage.  Try to use most of the battery's juice before putting a discharger on it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by TheCrow »

Team ORION Squad Leader

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 07:15:48 PM »
If it's a 1900mAh mini, it's most likely a NiMH.

I've found that NOT discharging this type of pack will give it longer life.  

For this, use a peak charger.  There is no way to determine how long to charge a partially-charged pack on a wall charger.  Spend the money on a TLP charger of DuraTrax Intellipeak and it will pay off in the long run.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline Gantaliano Hoff

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 07:49:33 PM »
How about the smart charger. That's what I have now, and it seems to really do well with the 8.4V. Which is also a NiMh. I have an M100 in my M4 and when I use the smart charger on it, it pushes the M100 like nothing. But yeah, sarge, I think you're right about not dischargin them. I dishcharged it all the way, and I must have burned it out or something. Bummer. Guess I'll buy a new one.

Actually, my 8.4V is a Gold Peak. And wow does that make a difference. That's where it's power comes from, I think.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Gantaliano Hoff »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 07:56:54 PM »
Don't give up on that pack just yet.

Try a deep charge and give it a whirl.  If that doesn't work, then chuck it.

Offline TheCrow

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 08:05:47 PM »
Quote from: "azsarge"

For this, use a peak charger.  There is no way to determine how long to charge a partially-charged pack on a wall charger.  Spend the money on a TLP charger of DuraTrax Intellipeak and it will pay off in the long run.

That is why I asked if it was NiCd or NiMh.  I only had one NiMh battery before, and it was recommended that you do not discharge them all the way.  I was referring to the NiCd batteries in my above post.  Thanks for clearing it up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by TheCrow »

Team ORION Squad Leader

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 08:23:42 PM »
Quote from: "TheCrow"
Quote from: "azsarge"

That is why I asked if it was NiCd or NiMh.  I only had one NiMh battery before, and it was recommended that you do not discharge them all the way.  I was referring to the NiCd batteries in my above post.  Thanks for clearing it up.

Word!

When Hector came back from hit journey overseas, the NiMH pack that he left on a Marui discharger was DOA.  I think it just sucked out too much juice!

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 09:22:01 PM »
I agree, I discharged my 9.6v 2800 Nimh and poof! It magicly does not work any more.  Its pretty much a good way to get a $50 paper weight : )
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.