Author Topic: working out  (Read 4811 times)

Offline gixser13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
working out
« on: October 31, 2005, 04:49:38 PM »
Does anyone on the Forums here workout? I been hitting the weights now for the past two weeks again for the first time in 6years. Man what a rush
 I was just  wondering if any of you guys tried any of the weight lifting products out there. Powders, shake, bars?

Goal is to lose 15-20lbs of fat and turn it into muscles and maybe get some guns like Johns (War Savages)

Where do you guys workout at and how many days a week?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by gixser13 »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 04:55:44 PM »
I do pushups, situps, pullups, and run after warming up with Army PT drills.

I can do those exercises anywhere, anytime.

I'll hit the weights as soon as I heal an injury of mine, but that's the best way to get SWOLE!

I've used powders, but they were all weight gainers.  If you're trying to lose, that won't help.  

All supplements aside, I gained 20 pounds of muscle in 2 months at BCT just from exercising every damn day and eating 3 square meals of healthy, down home southern cookin'.

Good luck with your goals, Dave!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline RickEJ6

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 05:06:40 PM »
I havent ever tried any of the costly products on the market.  When I came to AZ I was a round 5'10" 170lb guy.  I did alot of running/swimming/pushups/sit ups and got down to 148.  From there I started lifting alot (twice a day most days) and eating lots of meat (Beef, chicken, anything) and im back up to 165.  I dont see a difference between me and the guys that I work out with that drop $60 on a bottle of suppliment crap.

Rick
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by RickEJ6 »
\"Do not hit if it can be avoided, but never hit softly.\"

T. Roosevelt

Offline mini-support

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 06:44:42 PM »
The best things for you are: Proper diet, protien powders, meal replacements, and good miltivitamins. I was 5' 10" and 135# at 25 i am now 216 to 220 depending how I eat week to week. Always had a little gut but nothing to write home about. I was a personal trainer in my spare time a few years ago. If I can help at all e-mail me on the side.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by mini-support »
Lyle
AirsoftAddicts.com

"It\'s time to let Old Painless out of the bag"....

Offline Greg

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 07:57:56 PM »
I run every day now (or go extra far the next time if I miss a day), pushups, situps, pullups if I can find something to do them on, etc.

As far as what to eat- save your hard-earned money and don't buy those BS powders and all that crap. Just reduce your normal portions and cut out the obviously bad parts of your diet. My girlfriend is a nutritionist (the real kind, as in college educated in nutrition and works in a hospital, not the kind that works at GNC or an organic food store) and I've lost a bunch of weight through the summer living with her and working out. We don't eat any weird health food, just smaller portions of regular food. Also, eat at home more, that way you can control exactly what goes into your food and how much you put on your plate.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Greg »
-Greg of Christian\'s Team

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 09:05:37 PM »
Weight lifting is good. But you wont always lose the weight. like what happens with me and my dad is we turn are fat into muscle, and  we look good. But, sometimes we weigh more or around the same. Do lots of cardio with the weights too. Run like 2 miles several times a week with a good diet. Me when I run I run four. But, thats because I have realy good endurance, and I like to hurt myself.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by IcePlatinumSky »

Offline RickEJ6

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 09:18:09 PM »
Quote from: "IcePlatinumSky"
Weight lifting is good. But you wont always lose the weight. like what happens with me and my dad is we turn are fat into muscle, and  we look good. But, sometimes we weigh more or around the same. Do lots of cardio with the weights too. Run like 2 miles several times a week with a good diet. Me when I run I run four. But, thats because I have realy good endurance, and I like to hurt myself.

4 miles? Endurance? Try again.

Not a bad start tho!

T. Roosevelt

Offline gixser13

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 10:31:29 PM »
I cant run right now due to Shin Splints only good for short burst 200-300 yards before my shins start killing me. I`m  strengthening the tibialis anterior muscle right to solve this problem. Wasnt  a problem till I went from 130 to 180 and didnt keep you with muscle tone
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by gixser13 »

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 01:02:58 AM »
Quote from: "gixser13"
I cant run right now due to Shin Splints only good for short burst 200-300 yards before my shins start killing me. I`m  strengthening the tibialis anterior muscle right to solve this problem. Wasnt  a problem till I went from 130 to 180 and didnt keep you with muscle tone

Well at least you can run that far, I tried running about 300 feet in full gear and I felt like I was a millimeter away from death when I stopped.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by deathbydanish »
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.

Offline woody

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 07:46:05 AM »
Quote from: "gixser13"

Dave, there's a really good stretch for shin splints. It cured them for me. You put one foot flat on the floor then lean against a counter or something. Picture is foot flat on the floor and body straight from the heel to your shoulders leaning into the counter. Not sure if that makes any sense, but man it really works. You want to do it for about a minute at least on each foot as you feel the calf muscle stretching.
And I will attest to Greg's svelte condition. He's looking real slim these days.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by woody »

Offline Gantaliano Hoff

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 11:03:36 AM »
I runa few miles about every day. I don't really do any lifting but, like Cristian I do lots of Pushups pullups situps, etc. I find that along with running, these excercises really build muscle without the strain of lifting weights.

It's really nice because this really gives me a lot of energy and stamina on the field.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Gantaliano Hoff »

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 11:06:44 AM »
Quote from: "RickEJ6"

Not a bad start tho!

lol Thats like for me an average every day type of run, and try that up hill 8)or with carrying heavy pack!!!

Offline Greg

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 11:18:49 AM »
Quote from: "deathbydanish"
Well at least you can run that far, I tried running about 300 feet in full gear and I felt like I was a millimeter away from death when I stopped.
Dude... I haven't met you, but if you are like that at 19, you need some help.   :-s  
Quote from: "woody"
And I will attest to Greg's svelte condition. He's looking real slim these days.

Not exactly the word I would use- but the pair of jeans I bought after boot camp are really loose now.  :-k
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Greg »
-Greg of Christian\'s Team

Offline RickEJ6

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 11:25:59 AM »

Not a bad start tho!

lol Thats like for me an average every day type of run, and try that up hill 8)or with carrying heavy pack!!!

Welcome to every day of my life.

Ran 6 this morning with 50lbs, LBE, and weapon in full BDUs and boots.

T. Roosevelt

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 12:36:26 PM »

Not a bad start tho!

Welcome to every day of my life.

Ran 6 this morning with 50lbs, LBE, and weapon in full BDUs and boots.

Show off!!! Thats not easy however, when I whent through the fire Acedemy I had to do alot to stay in shape. 3,1/2 mile run, then a CPAT look alike with 50 and 60 pounds. From there we ran bleachers with 50 pounds or more. Did a dummy drag with 50 pounds. Hit the stairmaster 5min with again 50 or 60 pounds slowly to piss you off. Then ran 3miles or more on the track combination of sprints, lunges, whatever evil thoughts ran through his head before calling it a night. Somtimes he whould also have us do things in full bunker gear. Dang I would kill to be in that kind of shape again.