Author Topic: CIRAS vs. Random Plate Carriers  (Read 2657 times)

Offline MicrowvbleTurtle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
CIRAS vs. Random Plate Carriers
« on: November 14, 2005, 06:26:03 PM »
Looking to invest in some legit shit.

I'd first like to hear some opinions upon my choices before I spend my hard earned money.

Eagle Industries CIRAS- I'm currently leaning towards the Maritime version.  What do you guys think of the CIRAS (both Land and Maritime versions) overall?  Is it worth the $500 that I'd be investing in it?  It looked like the Land came in Khaki and OD Green but the Maritime in Coyote Brown and OD Green... is this true?  Is it overkill?  How comfortable is it?

Random Plate Carriers-

Eagle Plate Carrier w/Cummerbund- Not too expensive.  It looks to have plenty of rows and columns of PALS.  From what I keep seeing, these are a hit in Arizona.  Is it reliable?  Worth the $180?  What are your overall thoughts on it?  How comfortable is it?

DBT FAPC w/FAR- I originally planned to get this setup.  I like the fact that it comes in Ranger Green and Coyote Brown (although I don't believe either are in stock) and it's not too expensive.  I currently have several DBT products so I'm not worried about its reliability.  But how well do they work together?  Again, is it worth the money?  How comfortable are they?

Thanks for taking a look guys.

I greatly appreciate any help you can give me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by MicrowvbleTurtle »

Offline studdermonkey

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 06:43:13 PM »
You've got some top of the line rigs right there.

The Ciras is obviously the best. The maritime vs land deal is whatever you would like. I would get the land, it's just IMO that it's best. But, the Ciras isn't my lane, I've only had it on me twice. The Eagle plate Carrier.. I've owned 3. If you're looking for the best plate carrier for the cheapest amount of money, go for that. Don't get the FAPC/FAR. It's made to go with plates.. not for the common airsofter, less' you own plates. Other than that, it kicks ass.

For other information, Kurn owns an Eagle Plate carrier, so does PHX Cobra, along with Gixser. And, Raith owns an Eagle Ciras. Vince owns the CT Ciras. You can ask Ganef for Ciras info as well. And, Robert (forgot the forum name) owns the FAPC, but not for airsoft. And no FAR as far as I know. He's also away for a while.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by studdermonkey »
كافر
Nate!

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 07:03:55 PM »
CIRAS are the shit. I have a multicam one (super limited availability), and like MSgt. Mullen and B.Co/D.Co....I'd take it anywhere with me. If we ever form a PMC company, I'll obviously be rocking my CIRAS.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 07:12:05 PM »
Raith owns an Eagle Ciras.

Correction, owned a CIRAS. The thing about a CIRAS and RAV and a few others is the soft armor cut that they accept. The real question is are you looking for a straight-up plate carrier or for a soft and hard armor carrier? Plate carriers offer a simple straight up set up that is not bulky, and a soft+hard armor carrier will offer greater protection at the cost of added bulk. Eagle/DBT/paraclete setups are all top end, just depends on your favorite flavor. Good luck with Ranger Green and Coyote products, they are good but you better get in line.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 07:51:14 PM »
The real question here is whether you'll be using it for "work" or for airsoft.

THAT should be the determining factor in what you buy.

Do you want protection, or do you simply want something to carry your kit?  Plate carriers are great, for carrying plates.  If you simply want something to holds mags and BBs, there are much better options.

As for the CIRAS colors, they are standard Eagle colors no matter the version - OD and Khaki (tan).  

I have a Paraclete RAV, and the ONLY reason I spent so much on it is because I'd like to take it with me on my upcoming deployment.  

I've owned a DBT carrier with IIIa soft armor cummerbund that I bought for airsofting.  I put foam in the plate pockets and it worked fine.  I wore it all weekend long at OP Irene III and loved it.

I'm seeing alot of airsofters lately talking about plate carriers, and someday buying plates for it.  For what?  Unless you get shot at for a living, you can get away with fake plates that cost 22 bucks rather than 1000.  Let's be honest and not get carried away here, most of you will never really need armor of any kind.  If so, it will be provided to you.  Let's keep this thread legit and stay in our perverbial "lanes," shall we? 8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline studdermonkey

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 08:05:36 PM »
Quote from: "azsarge"

Do you want protection, or do you simply want something to carry your kit?  Plate carriers are great, for carrying plates.  If you simply want something to holds mags and BBs, there are much better options.

Let's be honest and not get carried away here, most of you will never really need armor of any kind.  If so, it will be provided to you.  Let's keep this thread legit and stay in our perverbial "lanes," shall we? 8)

Ok, if he wanted something for airsoft, why not a plate carrier? It has plenty of room. There are plate carriers made to work without plates, just as good as with them. Example: The Eagle Plate Carrier. If he's not getting it "for work", then why does it need to be something other than a plate carrier? The only place where I see your point is on the FAPC. I think "the real question" is what plate carriers are appropriate for airsoft.

I'm seeing alot of airsofters lately talking about plate carriers, and someday buying plates for it.  For what?  Unless you get shot at for a living, you can get away with fake plates that cost 22 bucks rather than 1000.

Isn't the topic about what rig is best? Not who wants to get real plates or not? Alot of airsofters what to buy plate carriers because it gives a hell of alot of room to mount anything you want to it. And, again, even then.. this mainly and almost only applies to the FAPC.

Hell, if you like gear, why should just playing airsoft be a reason to keep you away from buying good gear that could help with the simulation anyways?
كافر
Nate!

Offline MicrowvbleTurtle

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 09:06:13 PM »

I couldn't agree more.

I'm currently discussing, in depth, a possible future in the Marines with a recruiter.  If I wasn't doing that I wouldn't even be thinking about the CIRAS.

Vince, do you have an Eagle Plate Carrier w/Cummerbund too?  If so, would you mind letting me see/try on both the plate carrier and CIRAS at some point in time?

Edit in response to Nate's post:

Unfortunately Nate, one of the major determining factors for me is money.  My parents don't support the fact that I spend much of my money on airsoft and thus don't give me money for that reason.

Right now I'm leaning on the Eagle Plate Carrier.  I've seen you with it Nate and it looks like it has enough space for what I need during games... that and it's lighter on my wallet.  But I still need to sort some things out before making a final decision.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 09:12:41 PM by MicrowvbleTurtle »

Offline Airsofter1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • airsot airsona
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 09:06:57 PM »
I'm seeing alot of airsofters lately talking about plate carriers, and someday buying plates for it. For what?

Because its coool.  But as for buying real plates... who said that?  That might be a bit much...  But if you have THAT MUCH money to burn I guess its ok then.  Just be sure to buy me a set while you at it.

I have a Maritime CIRAS, and I like it very much.  Its probably just as hard to get in and out of as the land version.  I like it very much.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Airsofter1 »

Offline Victor3

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 09:37:09 PM »
I have a DBT FAPC. I'm going to sell it (PM me if interested) Its OD. I recently aquired an Eagle PC w/ cumberbund. That will be my standard kit. Haven't had a chance to actually use it yet, but that said I love the fit and feel.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Victor3 »
"Victor3"
Airsoft AZ
Eat Hot Lead...uh...I mean Plastic!!

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 09:46:54 PM »
A few things to keep in mind, then.  I don't know what the chances are that your chosen vocation will allow you use of a CIRAS, but I suspect the chances are low.  Many of the "gunfighter" rigs take various specific cuts of soft armor and aren't designed to work with anything else.  There are as many different sets of armor as there are different armor carriers. (RAV, CIRAS, FSBE AAV, Interceptor, etc)  If you're not yet in the USMC, perhaps by the time you will be in a position to use a CIRAS, something better will have come along.

Nevertheless, on the flip side, as long as you're intelligent about it, most higher end gear items hold their value very, very well.  I sold my CIRAS for about $10 less than I paid about 8 months after I purchased it.  That may be an extreme example, but certainly 75-85% value retention is not uncommon if its in good shape.

Of course, I don't know much about the Marine Corps, but based on what I do know, I would suggest you not consider the CIRAS as something you should purchase with professional use in mind.  (At this point, anyways.)

As far as a viable "excuse" to buy one for airsoft, with the caveat that you can sell it at perhaps little loss later, I suppose its alright. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raith »
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 09:49:41 PM »
Quote from: "Airsofter1"
I have a Maritime CIRAS, and I like it very much.

Quote from: "Vince"
CIRAS are the s***. I have a multicam one

And just cause I'm a dick, neither of you have a CIRAS.  You have copies.  :lol:

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 09:52:28 PM »
I didn't say an Eagle CIRAS.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 09:52:51 PM »
One additional note -

This place has the best prices I've seen on Eagle gear - http://triadtactical.com/tab1/store/cat ... forms.html

Offline studdermonkey

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 09:53:39 PM »
Yep. I mentioned Vinces was a CT Ciras.

Mike, you've got a Ciras? From CT?
كافر
Nate!

Offline Airsofter1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • airsot airsona
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 10:21:11 PM »
I got my CIRAS from a very secret source...  Its not CT and its not Proud...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Airsofter1 »