Author Topic: Paintball To Airsoft Converts.... Why so many?  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Mooncruiser

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 04:53:41 PM »
It's not reckless, it's called cheating.

This is a game. The main rule, regardless of respawns or objectives is to call yourself out when hit.

The game is meaningless without that.

It's a question of honesty. People who cheat are without honor as I see it.

As for respawns.. I'd rather keep each game to an hour-hour and a half per evolution.. You get hit, call it and sit the current game out. Rearm, get a drink, B.S with other shot players.. No respawns.

Chip
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Mooncruiser »
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 05:07:09 PM »
We used to play single elemination games all the time, I agree those games are fun as well. Im not here to say which way is better. But i will say this, as it has been said before, honesty is the key foundation that airsoft is built upon.  If that is not there airsoft is nothing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline absent40

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 09:49:59 PM »
I know the reason i switched from paintball to airsoft was paintball got too easy. Play speedball for years and its just too easy to play. Also airsoft is a completely different challenge and I enjoy learning something completely from zero knowledge. You even have to learn to aim correctly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by absent40 »

Offline Comrade Commissar

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Paintball To Airsoft Converts.... Why so many?
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 11:09:17 PM »
As for little kids in airsoft... I have encountered one.... A group in colorado i played with let some kids play with them. One of the kids was 12... he couldnt buy an aeg so he got stuck with what ever gun there was... Instead of being happy with somthing he complained constantly... He would grab peoples loaner AEGs from their friends and say stuff like - "I get to play with this this time because its not fair that i have to use a pistol all the time" - with out even asking anyone... Thankfully theres age limits far above that around here....

Quote from: "Ricky"

Woodsball??? That tells me you never was a real paintball player.

I agree with alot of the points you make in your post, Airsoft should avoid little kids (see above). It should avoid being "main stream". I think that single, accurate shots are the way to go... Honesty is key, I have always called my self out. Did paintball go down the drain? Yes. Did it happen before i started? You bet ya...

My friends and I  bought our own equipment, we didnt have "mommy and daddys plastic"... we earned our way, mowing lawns and shoveling snow... I never joined a team or tournament because, well, they werent the kind of style i was into, it was all speedball.

I did infact "stalk" people and take them out by suprise... I always thought that that was more fun and sucessful, while still being challenging.

I usually bought 500 painballs for a whole day, and we played from 9 am to 6 pm, only stopping for lunch, and 4 or 5 minutes between games... If i played pump it was probably even less than that...

We would just go out and play on some land off by our houses, we didnt go to a set up field... if thats what you thought when I said Woodsball. We actually went out in the forrest by ourselves and had a good time. Part of the reason for that was also money (field fees suck)

I owned and  played with a 1969 nelspot 707 bolt action pistol (the ancestor to your nelspot pump) a few times... That is the original, made for marking cows and trees, which you probably know. Working the bolt then cocking the gun was a bit of a hassel, but it was fun.

So, am i a "real paintball player"? No, but i was as close as you could get in the late 90s early 2000s world of paintball...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Comrade Commissar »
Present - Dboy Spr mod0, upgraded. Dboy Ak74, Stock. Hfc chrome Revolver, short
Past - CA Slr105, KWC 1911 Caspian, TM mp5sd6

Offline Mooncruiser

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 12:22:56 AM »
Comrade C, I too played with "Ricky" thru all those early years of paintball. You sound like the kinda guy we would liked to have had on our team.

And yes, we played a lot of times in the woods for free.

I remember giving up flying lessons for awhile 'cuz I enjoyed paintball so much. It was so different than today's game. I was averaging about 60-80 bucks a week playing.

Chip
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Mooncruiser »
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline fathamburger

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 09:57:18 AM »
Paint is a bitch to clean up. Full stop. Next comes cost. Those are the attractor factors.

Staying factors. The guns and the mods :) Every gun is different and unique, no generic pistol hopper shit. Learning to handle replicas where gun safety is not putting a hoodie over the barrel ;) Lastly, milsim , sniper and support weapons :D I'd love to see some speedballing fucker get sniped :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by fathamburger »

Offline E-raq

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 08:34:30 PM »
Before I got into airsoft I was thinking of doing paintball. Alot of my friends did it and it looked fun. Then I kind of by accident got into airsoft and im glad I did. Since i was a little kid I loved military history and playing army man ( for me it was Marine man). And now that im older i can still do that! Milsim is excellent, and i pitty my couple friends who bought paintball guns and hardley ever play, while my and my airsoft friends and paintball converts tear it up and come back and tell them war stories! Oorah!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by E-raq »
Semper Fi.

Offline sarnn(GSS)

• FNG
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2006, 09:46:24 AM »
you cant play paintball in your back yard within city limits
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by sarnn(GSS) »
Do it!

Offline PHX COBRA

• Captain
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2006, 10:05:50 AM »
Quote from: "sarnn(GSS)"
you cant play paintball in your back yard within city limits

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by PHX COBRA »

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2006, 10:57:58 AM »
And you cant play airsoft either... so what is your point?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline Frogman4

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 10:17:45 PM »
Yeah, PB guns are hard to shoulder, top heavy cause of the 200 rd hopper, not to mention in the way most of the time, expensive ammo and CO2, and messy. Yep, that's just a few things.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Frogman4 »
It\'s better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Offline m-79_Grenadier

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2006, 04:37:56 PM »
I agree with ricky for the most part.

Respawn games are fun, because it lets you use most of the entire game time on the field, rather than sitting out being hit.

But personally, I actually perfer single elimination games, not only for the self caution and patience factor, but more for the realism it envokes on your fellow teammates. If the game is mostly squad based, and certain individuals are divided up among squads, IE: snipers, squad weapons, launchers, ect, they have to operate as a squad should.

So, If one of the members happens to get hit, the rest of the squad would have to learn keep functioning without a SAW gunner/sniper/pointman, rather than waiting for him to respawn and regroup. I really like the idea and the realism that single elimination portrays. Also, if the squad member must travel somewhat of a distance from their squad, he has much greater chance of never finding his way back ot his unit, and ends up off   enirely somewhere else in the field.

With respawn games, the fighting itself isnt as real as it it would be in a hypothetical battle. When every combatant is allowed to get back in the battle after he is killed, it seems almost as if the game would never end. Its alot harder to judge which force wins or looses in the end when there is only constant engagement and no loss of numbers. When one team starts whittling down another, man by man, it becomes easily distinguishable which team is likely to come out on top.

Its a great load of fun for the players as well. When you find that your team is winning, and is slowly crushing the numbers of the enemy, you find the moral of your team is at its highest, and makes fighting even more thrilling than it already is!  

And if unfortunatley in the situation that you find  your numbers of teammates are dwindling, you become mentally empowered to fight your hardest, and best that you can, and if meant to happen, go out in a blaze of glory!  

I used to play alot of single elimination games a few years ago. It was great fun, realistically, and socially with your teammates. But it seems as if Respawn games are more popular now.

There were a couple of games that used limited respawn that I played in that still retained the realistic aspect. I think we were only allowed one or two respawns during a game.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by m-79_Grenadier »
Owns the REEEEL THAAAANG!

"No, I shall not be attending the funeral services..... though I do highly approve." -Mark Twain

Offline t0ji

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2006, 05:13:17 PM »
Personally I like single elimination games when its some what close quarter and a smaller amount of people lets say like.. >9    people.. When the fields get bigger and there more cover and more places to hold its fun to experience respawners, that way your always on your toes and then communication is key.

Also on age, (I’m 16) I think it depends on the person, id say people 15-16 and up CAN BE good and respectful players. Younger then 15 mostly they play way to aggressively and don’t call them selves out when they have been hit. I’ve also seen this in 16 and up as well but there are a lot of respectful players who are under 18 you just got to just find the right ones.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by t0ji »

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 03:05:37 PM »
Single Elmination games are cool ONLY if the game time is kept short.  Nothing worse than getting hit in the first 5min of game time, only to sit out for the next 55min.  Encourages cheating.  Fast and furious single elimation games are fun, re-spawn games are great for large AO's.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by andyhinds »

Offline Spanky1234

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 03:40:26 PM »
I agree single elimination games are great fun but as its been said before they need to be kept short.

I personally prefer the "Medic Rules" you know you get one hit to teh extremedy and a squad mate can "Revive" you i think that adds to squad unity and it sort of encompasses Single Elimination and Respawn in that if you take a shot to the head your obviously un-resurectable but something like a leg or arm hit can be "Fixed". This style adds Strategy and allows for a few mistakes if you make them.

Just my thoughts on that subject
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Spanky1234 »
SPF 4

MEDIC!