Author Topic: Thinking of getting a pistol  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Kevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
Thinking of getting a pistol
« on: January 15, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »
I am thinking of purchasing a pistol.
What are the thoughts on brands, reliability, etc..

KWA? WE? Others?

What kind of pistol do you recommend? 1911? others?

Basically this would be backup for when the M4 goes down (KWA RIS).  Which has happened three times now.

Once was a dead battery after about 4-5 games.  (so not unexpected - but didn't have a spare with me so just ran the game until I was out)  Can't fault the gun for this.  Pistol would not have been good here.
2nd time was a loose lead on the motor.  Pistol would have been good to have.
The other time was last weekend after about 15k rounds, had my 1st stuck BB.  Cleared it and all was well.  Backup Pistol would have definately been good to have.

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of getting a pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »
Although pistols are cool and it's a trip to bean someone from a long distance with one, save your money and get another primary. I sell Redwolf's G&P full metal's for 170+ shipping, or the A&K masada's for 200+ shippping. So for 250 or less you get another AEG. That or pickup a WE Tech scar for less than $300. For a GOOD pistol you are going to pay 100-150, plus a good holster will run you 80-150.

Offline Kevin

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »
Another gun is in the works as a backup - but not realistic to carry on the field with me.  Whereas a pistol would be usable.

Initially I felt that it was not really a good option - as the range is too far/not accurate enough.  However having now been in two situations where a pistol would have been good to have - I am going to get one.

Any recommendations as to brand and model?

Kevin

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »
Quote from: "Kevin"
Another gun is in the works as a backup - but not realistic to carry on the field with me.  Whereas a pistol would be usable.

Initially I felt that it was not really a good option - as the range is too far/not accurate enough.  However having now been in two situations where a pistol would have been good to have - I am going to get one.

Any recommendations as to brand and model?

Kevin
Tokyo Marui, although plastic and not the most powerful, they have so many parts for them, you can make them into nail drivers.
KJW isn't terrible either.
Anything KWA with a NS2 gas system.

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
The people in my club have no problems with WE 1911 single stacks... although the hi capas and dragons are problematic.
Also, KSC USP's are nice. I can't speak about too many pistols, as we don't generally lend them out to each other, I don't have too much experience beyond those.

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 03:07:01 PM »
Quote from: "axisofoil"
The people in my club have no problems with WE 1911 single stacks... although the hi capas and dragons are problematic.
Also, KSC USP's are nice. I can't speak about too many pistols, as we don't generally lend them out to each other, I don't have too much experience beyond those.
WE single stack's tend to break their plastic followers quite often.

Offline Kevin

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »
KWA with green gas/propane?  How's reliability on those?

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »
Quote from: "Kevin"
KWA with green gas/propane?  How's reliability on those?
Reliability in airsoft is not a science but some wacky vooodoo crap. Just keep your gun in good working order and maintain it and it should continue to put a bb in the air.

Offline Kevin

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 09:45:41 AM »
Lol - I hear you.

I picked up a KWA KP45.  We'll see how it works.  I don't have it dialed in yet and it's definately not as accurate as a rifle (no surprise there).
And when we were playing yesterday, after a full mag (it was about 60 out that day) - the mag & gas got cold enough that it would not blow the slide back all the way.  But it fired fine.

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 07:30:04 PM »
Quote from: "busta_cap"

5 mags used over the course of 50+ full days of airsoft and I've only had one break because I dropped it top-down onto concrete. If you pay attention when you're loading them, you will almost never see a break.

Offline Kevin

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 10:14:58 PM »
The gun I bought is the KWA KP45.

Info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 10:18:02 PM »
Quote from: "busta_cap"

5 mags used over the course of 50+ full days of airsoft and I've only had one break because I dropped it top-down onto concrete. If you pay attention when you're loading them, you will almost never see a break.

Don't worry - busta_cap doesn't actually know that, he just read it online. The last time he played airsoft, WETech didn't even exist.

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline oldgamefreak

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 12:37:31 PM »
I know a few guys with that .45 and they work well. I have a KSC USP45 (full size) it has always worked when needed and has kept me from getting killed on a few occasions. I have had my primary go down on me, due to a bad thermal fuse, while being the last man standing on my team. It got me two quick kills before being overrun by the other team.  

Keep it CLEAN and well maintained. it should serve you well.
"America might have some problems, but it\'s our home. Our country. Our team. And if you don\'t want to root for your team, then just get the hell out of the stadium"........Stan Marsh

Offline Ranger_Robby

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 01:15:54 PM »
Quote from: "oldgamefreak"
I know a few guys with that .45 and they work well. I have a KSC USP45 (full size) it has always worked when needed and has kept me from getting killed on a few occasions. I have had my primary go down on me, due to a bad thermal fuse, while being the last man standing on my team. It got me two quick kills before being overrun by the other team.  

+1 on that.
Quote from: \"Vince\"
ALRIGHT GIRLS YOU\'RE BOTH PRETTY

NOW SHUT THE **** UP

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 02:41:37 PM »
Quote from: "Ranger_Robby"
Quote from: "oldgamefreak"

+1 on that.

+2... with the exception that I don't have one personally, but it works for the people on my team who swear by them.
+2.38^Bajillion  on Keep it CLEAN